• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Thoughts on Supplements for Strength-Building?

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh no! Excess protein certainly can damage the kidneys. I'm so glad you have recovered.

I was just reading up on this because my doctor tells me to eat more protein (while simultaneously trying to lose weight), and I learned that we need significantly more when we get older. My appetite goes down in the summer, and adding more protein has been difficult, but necessary.
Oh no, I already struggle significantly to get enough protein, this is bad news for me!! I find improving my diet to be quite challenging. It's always a work in progress.

newboots

Angel Diva
Oh no, I already struggle significantly to get enough protein, this is bad news for me!! I find improving my diet to be quite challenging. It's always a work in progress.

Here is the article I was reading:

https://khn.org/news/why-older-adults-should-eat-more-protein-and-not-overdo-protein-shakes/

But @fgor - I doubt you are old enough for these higher doses.

I’m adding protein by including edamame (or tofu) and fat free Greek yogurt to my morning smoothie, eating eggs more often, and I might go back to adding egg whites to my smoothies.

Hard-cooked eggs are a good way to have a protein snack, and including nuts in your diet.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the helpful head's-up about kidney issues; I wasn't aware of the connection with protein. In addition to normal dietary proteins, I do have a smoothie with whey protein and BCAAs after a long (2-3 hour) bike ride as a recovery drink.

I haven't lost a single pound and my rides still feel arduous on the climbs, but at least according to Strava my relative efforts are getting stronger and I keep hitting PRs on my regular trail sections. I've also noticed that my technical riding has improved with my fitness, I assume since I have more strength and energy to move the bike around and attack punchy sections.

Thanks so much for all of the feedback here. It's helped me wrestle down a better sense of control over my training plan.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here is the article I was reading:

https://khn.org/news/why-older-adults-should-eat-more-protein-and-not-overdo-protein-shakes/

But @fgor - I doubt you are old enough for these higher doses.

I’m adding protein by including edamame (or tofu) and fat free Greek yogurt to my morning smoothie, eating eggs more often, and I might go back to adding egg whites to my smoothies.

Hard-cooked eggs are a good way to have a protein snack, and including nuts in your diet.
Embarassingly enough, when I do track my intake, I frequently only have 20-30g of protein in a day, which isn't really enough even at my age and weight! Good article though. I can manage 0.8g/kg if I have a protein shake each day.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was just reading up on this because my doctor tells me to eat more protein (while simultaneously trying to lose weight), and I learned that we need significantly more when we get older. My appetite goes down in the summer, and adding more protein has been difficult, but necessary.
Same problem here.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Embarassingly enough, when I do track my intake, I frequently only have 20-30g of protein in a day, which isn't really enough even at my age and weight! Good article though. I can manage 0.8g/kg if I have a protein shake each day.
If you're looking for food sources, I usually get Zeagold liquid egg white and the Kalo greek yoghurt (not marketed as high protein, but it's actually got more than the Anchor "high protein" one) if I am trying to get my protein intake up.

newboots

Angel Diva
On an earlier diet, I was making a smoothie that required protein powder. I couldn’t tolerate the soy or whey (lactose intolerant), so I found powdered egg whites CHEAP from a bakery supply website.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
One thing I learned from the dietician I work with is that nuts, while an awesome source of good fat, are not great for protein.
Example: 4 oz walnuts have 400 calories, 10 g protein, 40g fat
4 oz ground turkey 160 cals, 22 g protein, 8 g fat.

I add a collagen (flavorless, unsweetened)protein power, about 20g, to my breakfast every day. Since i do not do smoothies (can't eat dairy) this is one way. I too find it hard to keep my protein up. My macro for workout days is 25% protein, 40% fat, 30% carb. I find it's really easy to go too high on fat and too low on protein.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hadn't thought much about protein much lately.
I have been adding pumpkin seeds to my breakfast which seem to have more protein and fiber than then other nuts, plus magnesium and iron.....

but I don't "think" I consume 4 oz which apparently has 504 calories, 20g of protein, 20g fat, 20 of fiber and 60 carbs per a google search....

Rather it seems I'm getting a lot of my protein from peanut butter and peanuts which are not low calorie, but tasty, and now I know where all my extra calories are coming from lol

Jilly

Staff member
Never heard of peanut butter powder. Will have to look for that. GNC maybe?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Never heard of peanut butte.r powder. Will have to look for that. GNC maybe?

I think it's the brainchild of backpackers. Most grocery stores seem to carry it. I've never tried to constitute actual peanut butter from it, but it's tasty in yogurt.

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 1.24.31 PM.png

Jilly

Staff member
When I googled it that was the negative that came up. More fat and more salt. Have to see a label.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Comparing with regular, organic pb that I grabbed from the shelf, the powder has much less fat (18g vs. 1.5g for the powder) but way more sodium (5mg regular pb and 90mg powder).

Soujan

Angel Diva
how does the fat on that add up compared to real peanut butter?
Powder peanut butter does not have the oil in hence the much lower fat and calories. A lot of people use it as a smoothie additive. You can also add water to the powder until it's a peanut butter-like consistency and eat that on your bread instead of regular peanut butter.

Soujan

Angel Diva
For those that are concerned about weight loss and protein intake, you should track everything you eat with an app. I've used MyFitnessPal in the past. Most people underestimate the number of calories they consume. Tracking your intake makes you accountable. I did it for 6 months and managed to drop 14 pounds and I have kept the weight off. I lift weights 4 days a week and do some type of cardio at least once a week. You'll be surprised to find out how much your cardio improves by doing less cardio. Very anti-intuitive, I know. I increased my protein intake to 1 gr/lb per day. I usually consume one protein shake a day. Most other supplements that are geared towards the fitness industry don't have research to back up what they claim to do and aren't worth spending your money on. In regards to vitamins, it depends on any deficiencies you have. I take an iron and D3 supplement because I am below normal levels in my bloodwork. I've stopped using the app since I am better able to tell how many calories I am consuming without measuring everything. And I do recommend using a TDEE calculator to determine how many calories you need.

Last edited:

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I've been adding powdered peanut butter to greek yogurt for breakfast. It adds up to 17g of protein and feels substantial and filling.
THIS was exactly what I was going to suggest. Add a chopped up banana and a sprinkle of cocoa powder and it’s like a treat AND a protein bomb.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I've used MFP off and on for years. One comment: my nutritionist/dietician (Phd) says that the baseline the app gives you based on age/weight/ is way low. She adjusted my baseline from 1200 to 1450.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna