• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Thoughts on purchasing with demo bindings?

patoswiss

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What do you ladies think about buying demo skis with demo bindings? My first thought is the skis will be heavier with the larger binding. Are there differing qualities of demo bindings? I am binding illiterate in general anyway….

It seems with the extra adjustments they could have a higher failure rate if used for a longer time. But at the same time they are made to be adjusted constantly so they must be ok…

Hmmm, anyone have wisdom?

Jilly

Staff member
Absolutely nothing wrong with demo bindings as far as performance. Only thing id they are heavier.

jellyflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right. For that reason (i. e. the weight) I have changed the one demo bindings I had on one of my skis - it was just too heavy to carry it around.

Two more thoughts, not sure whether that is applicable here:
- demo bindings are usually more expensive than "normal" bindings
- demo bindings typically do "only" have a normal Z-range, like 4-10 or so. For any out of the range Z-values (like for racers an 17 or so) those demo bindings are usually too soft

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you have demo'ed the skis with the demo bindings and love them, then ski 'em with the demo bindings - ramp angle, stiffness, performance all subject to change with different bindings. I am old and small and don't care at all how heavy a ski is to carry - I spend precious little time carrying my skis - I spend most of my time SKIING. Ski what you love.
Also, when it is time to sell the skis, no remounting required for a different boot size (and you could let friends try them, too).

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are different types of demo bindings, too; some are almost just the same as regular bindings but others are on those huge plates and do make a difference with the ski.

zoomamyd

Angel Diva
We work with a lot of demo bindings at our shop, as we sell a lot of demo skis, and I can honestly say I pretty much only ski demo bindings. They had a bad reputation awhile back for being heavy and whatnot, but nowadays the weight is negligible. And like @canski says, weight really isn't much of an issue when you're actually skiing.

That being said, not all demo bindings are created equally. Make sure they are on the indemnified list so that they aren't so old shops aren't able to work on them. Also, just because a demo binding is easy to adjust and you can do it yourself, it doesn't mean you should. You still need to bring it in for a safety release test, which can only be done in a shop.

If you let me know what binding is on the ski I can let you know if it should be up to snuff. (Though again, the only way to truly know is to bring it in with your boot and have a safety release test done!)

- Amy

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@zoomamyd - I never meant for haphazard changing of binding settings by untrained folks - definitely have your local/on mountain ski shop do the settings - including changing the DIN if necessary. Just a nice option to have. Lucky me on demo days - I have 3 or 4 friends - all same size, ability and BSL and even same boot brand - we can swap out easily!

patoswiss

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You all have good points. Last question: do the demo bindings functionality etc parallel their non-demo counterparts? I assume that each brand makes demo and non demo bindings that are the same except for the demo layout?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Most demo bindings are simply a standard toe and heel piece attached to a plate the allows both pieces to slide forward and backward for adjustment. The plates themselves are the only things actually mounted to the ski. Another "plus" about demo bindings is that they can usually allow you to play with mounting points by sliding the toe and heel forward or backward together.

mustski

Angel Diva
I have had skis with demo bindings and never found the slight weight addition to be a problem so don't worry about that. Demo bindings do make the ski easier to sell later.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Whats the difference between system bindings and demo bindings?
A system binding is sold with the skis by the manufacturer. So there is no need to choose a binding when making the purchase. Also means it's easier to sell when the time comes. Slightly heavier than a binding that is made up of a separate toe and heel piece that are screwed into the ski.

My Rossi Attraxion 8 had system bindings. When I bought the BPs from a Ski Diva, one reason the decision was easy is that her boots were close enough in BSL to mine that I could use the skis without having to get someone to move the bindings. While bindings can be moved, it means drilling new holes so it's something to be aware of when buying used skis.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
my skis have demo bindings. I haven't noticed much of a difference except one thing. Weight. These suckers are heavy. But as previously stated by others...if you are skiing on them, whatever.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The difference between system and demo bindings:

System bindings are made specifically for a certain model or line of skis. The skis typically have a special track built into the ski and the binding is mounted at a single spot on the track. The remainder of the binding slides freely on the track, allowing the ski to flex fully beneath the binding with no flat spot under the boot. They can usually be adjusted to most any boot sole length, but not easily or without tools - they often have to be removed completely from the rails/tracks to make any adjustment.

Demo bindings can usually be mounted to any flat ski, they're designed to be quickly adjustable usually without tools, and they're not usually ski specific (with a few exceptions).

RuthB

Angel Diva
My current skis were the demos (they were the last pair standing and the importer didn't have any more) and so have demo bindings. I have had no issue with them. I didn't think that any reduced weight advantage would outweigh the additional cost of new bindings, nor did I want to deal with any issues around the position on plugged screw holes from the old bindings.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My 'new' Geishas have demo bindings. Despite the loss of value to the skis, I'm going to replace them with regular bindings, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm doing it for the weight. I think I saved three pounds per ski when I replaced another pair of demo bindings a few years ago, and on these beefy skis, six pounds is the difference between being able to carry them upright in one hand in a crowd or having to make multiple trips so I can switch hands every little bit. It was nice to get to experiment and find that I prefer these skis mounted at the recommended line, but I've never had anyone express any interest whatsoever in trying my skis, so I'm not losing anything by giving the bindings up.

That does mean that when I do get rid of these skis I'll be pretty much giving them away because they'll have been drilled twice, but the convenience while I have them makes up for it.

mustski

Angel Diva
My local ski shop offered to buy my demo bindings when I had them switch them out. If they hadn't been faulty Squire bindings, I would have taken the offer. I didn't think anyone should ski those bindings so I tossed them in the trash. @litterbug See if the shop will make you an offer on the demo bindings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly