• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Thoughts on buying a season pass

marzNC

Angel Diva
As mentioned in another thread, Loveland has come up with their plan for 2020-21 season passes. There isn't any rush because the pricing isn't going to change before Dec. 1.

When Colorado skiing stopped mid-March, Loveland quickly made a decision to close for the season. As opposed to taking a "wait and see" attitude to the possibility of re-opening for late season days.

Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 2.14.44 PM.png

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
A possible complication I hadn’t thought of. My local mountains are in PA but I live in VA. What if there are quarantine restrictions for people crossing borders? I think it’s highly unlikely as a governmental restriction, but what if my office requires quarantine after visiting another state?

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
A possible complication I hadn’t thought of. My local mountains are in PA but I live in VA. What if there are quarantine restrictions for people crossing borders? I think it’s highly unlikely as a governmental restriction, but what if my office requires quarantine after visiting another state?

Can you work from home? I expect that remote work will be the new normal for a long time, especially in our desk- and phone-based professions. So even if you’re quarantined, hopefully you’ll still be able to work remotely?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well, you could ski Bryce and/or Mnut instead. :wink:

Seriously though, if the situation is still so bad that companies feel the need for someone to self-quarantine after crossing a state border for any reason then I can't imagine ski resorts in the region would be open. The initial quarantine ideas based on interstate travel started because NYC was so clearly a hot spot with a huge amount of community spread and there were lots of New Yorkers deciding to leave the city in March.

My BIL flew home to MN a couple weeks ago. No issues, no special warnings at any of the airports. No suggestion that he do anything coming from out of state besides follow the general Stay At Home rules. Full self-quarantine would've meant he had to ask someone to go shopping for him or get everything online. He lives alone and is a retired bachelor.

There is talk of Australia and New Zealand opening up travel just between their two countries before allowing any other international travel. NZ is more likely to have ski areas open sooner since the club fields don't have much more than surface lifts. There are interstate travel restrictions in Australia at the moment.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is an excerpt from an email today from Mike Kaplan, Aspen's CEO:
Next week, we’ll announce 2020-2021 season pass prices and policies. If you had a pass last year, you’ll see that we’re offering credits to make up for the shortened season. Additionally, we’ll have a refund policy that makes committing to the 2020-2021 season risk-free. As for summer, we’re working on operation plans that will align with state and local regulations for crowd size and social distancing. We’ll let you know as soon as those details are confirmed.

Until then, Aspen Snowmass just isn’t the same without you.

Sincerely,
Mike Kaplan

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had been wondering if Snowbasin is planning to offer any type of discount to those of us who bought season passes last year. However, I just decided to go for it and pay the full-early season pass price. Sure it would be nice to save some cash. But I got a good amount of days in, plus I had planned for the amount I spent.......

Not sure if they plan to extend any potential discounts to repeat season pass holders who already purchased. but what is done is done.

I just really hope moving forward they don't start raising the season pass prices further. As a family who loves to ski, significant increases to the pass prices might price us out as a family.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The info about the Boyne Resorts New England Pass for Sunday River, Sugarloaf, and Loon is out. Seems pretty well thought out. According to SAM, the New England Pass will go off sale after the June 15 deadline and there could be limits put on the number of season passes sold in the fall, depending on what evolves related to social distancing next winter.

https://www.newenglandpass.com
As of May 11

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 6.44.34 PM.png

MissySki

Angel Diva
The info about the Boyne Resorts New England Pass for Sunday River, Sugarloaf, and Loon is out. Seems pretty well thought out. According to SAM, the New England Pass will go off sale after the June 15 deadline and there could be limits put on the number of season passes sold in the fall, depending on what evolves related to social distancing next winter.

https://www.newenglandpass.com
As of May 11

View attachment 12933

I thought they did a pretty good job, except that there is no assurance for what happens if interstate travel is restricted. I know you can’t plan for all scenarios, but considering all New England states have the 14 day restriction right now, it’s not that hard to imagine it if there is a resurgence this fall/winter. Being “open” 150 days, is great, but what if passholders aren’t legally able to drive to you? Loon and Sunday River have a large MA skier base. Also, the December 10’th rollover option is void if you use your pass before that time. Considering Sunday River often opens at the end of October or early November at the latest, there is a lot of skiing to be had before this time. Though I wouldn’t call most of it good enough skiing that you should be required to forfeit your rollover option for it.. The 150 days is also based on the 3 mountains, so if one or two are closed but a third open, well there ya go. That’s hard for giving assurance to anyone doing a seasonal lodging option, kids in a seasonal program etc. one would think you’d be allowed to choose a “home” mountain for the 150 day guarantee.

I hate to be a complainer, but well I still think there are elephants in the room that are not being addressed. That being said, given that they are mentioning there is a potential for not being able to buy passes after June 15th.. I will most likely be buying a pass to ensure I have one and then roll it over if I feel it necessary.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Jackson Hole is giving people who buy a season pass sooner rather than later until Oct. 15 to cancel. There will be a $45 "administrative fee." The "spring sale" ends on June 30.

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 2.55.35 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Mt. Bachelor is one of the few ski resorts with a 4-season pass. It's called Outplay 365 and payments are billed monthly, rather like a gym membership. For 2020, if Bachelor isn't open then Outplay 365 holders won't be charged. For folks who buy a winter season pass, a full refund can be requested up to Nov. 20 if not used before then. The deadline for "spring pricing" was extended to July 15.

Powdr also owns Killington, which also extended to July 15. Killington has a 4-season pass that's billed monthly.

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 8.41.51 AM.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Got a surprise today. Last season I was planning to ski enough days at Alta to justify a midweek pass. Needless to say that didn't work out as expected since my two week trip in April was cancelled. Alta is giving a "discount" towards a 2020-21 season pass based on the price paid and number of days skied before the abrupt early closure in March. In my case, the amount is over $200.

PASSHOLDER DISCOUNTS
Discounts are determined on the following criteria:
•Shortened 2019-20 ski season due to COVID-19
•Price paid
•Days skied
•Pricing for 2020-21

Discounts can be applied at the time of checkout. All discounts are valid through December 31, 2020.

PEACE-OF-MIND PURCHASING
Peace-of-mind purchasing means that Alta will provide a full refund, no questions asked, for unused 2020-21 Season Passes until December 31st, 2020. We understand that life is unprecedented, uncertain and uncharted right now—which is why we provide you peace-of-mind purchasing through the end of 2020.

EXTENDED DEADLINES
Best pricing is available through August 12th which means that you can spend the hottest days of the summer dreaming about the coldest, deepest days of winter. With our extended deadline you have more time to choose the pass that's right for you.

marzNC

Angel Diva
So I’ll likely be sticking to my gold pass that I finally purchased today, and deal with the potential for traveling west later if necessary. The Gold New England pass at least does give some free and discounted days at other Boyne Resorts like Big Sky, and then it also gives 50% off at Mountain Collective Pass locations.
The above is from the Ikon discussion.

A season pass that includes 50% off at MCP locations sounds like a great plan for the upcoming season.

Anyone who has a home mountain that has perks at other ski resorts may well do best by just getting a 1-location season pass.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Arggghhh! I had finally decided to get just a pass to Wachusett this year, and use the passholder perks to plan any trips further from home. But then yesterday I was looking at the Wawa site, and the Taos perks are no longer listed. I wrote them in hopes it was an oversight, but indeed TSV is no longer a partner with Wawa, and no more 3 free days there. Back to the drawing board. Sigh.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Arggghhh! I had finally decided to get just a pass to Wachusett this year, and use the passholder perks to plan any trips further from home. But then yesterday I was looking at the Wawa site, and the Taos perks are no longer listed. I wrote them in hopes it was an oversight, but indeed TSV is no longer a partner with Wawa, and no more 3 free days there. Back to the drawing board. Sigh.

:frown:

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Husband and I have been having several conversations about our season pass plans for next year. We're definitely getting Loveland, but have been wavering a bit between doing Ikon Base and the Copper season pass.

I think on balance we're likely to go with the Copper season pass -- they're offering full refunds (rather than a future season credit) if things go bad for any reason, and their pass includes three days at Powder Mountain and at Taos. Since Loveland's pass also has three days at Powder Mountain, we figure that we'd be able to get a full week at PowMow with this combination, which is a huge perk. Copper's pass is also $50 less per person than the Ikon Base renewal price for us.

If you live near any Ikon mountains, it may be worth comparing what the single mountain pass perks are, as compared to the Ikon pass. I was surprised by the difference in refund/credit policies, and Powder Mountain isn't on Ikon or Epic.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Husband and I have been having several conversations about our season pass plans for next year. We're definitely getting Loveland, but have been wavering a bit between doing Ikon Base and the Copper season pass.

I think on balance we're likely to go with the Copper season pass -- they're offering full refunds (rather than a future season credit) if things go bad for any reason, and their pass includes three days at Powder Mountain and at Taos. Since Loveland's pass also has three days at Powder Mountain, we figure that we'd be able to get a full week at PowMow with this combination, which is a huge perk. Copper's pass is also $50 less per person than the Ikon Base renewal price for us.

If you live near any Ikon mountains, it may be worth comparing what the single mountain pass perks are, as compared to the Ikon pass. I was surprised by the difference in refund/credit policies, and Powder Mountain isn't on Ikon or Epic.
Sounds like a good plan given where you live. However, Powder Mountain is unique. Pretty unusual for a ski resort with over 2000 acres to limit both season passes and day tickets. Even before Ikon, Deer Valley didn't come close to having the same number of "acres per skier" on any given day as PowMow. Also PowMow has not invested millions in snowmaking and high speed lifts so may not have to worry about debt financing. They have been fine opening relatively late in Dec based on when the snowstorms are enough to build a decent base in Nov-Dec.

PowMow gives a major discount for season passes to residents of the local county. In many ways, it's a locals' mountain somewhat in the same way that Bridger in MT is a locals' mountain. Those may be examples of the type of ski areas/resorts that will do better in the upcoming season than the destination resorts on Epic/Ikon/MCP.

I think the Indy Pass is well worth considering if there are a few locations not too far away. $199 for two days at 2-3 locations works out pretty well as a sampler pass. For the second season, Indy has a kid's price so even better for families than last season. It won't be available until Sept. 1 (standard practice) and there will probably be a few locations added before then.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For those who ski in the northeast, there is a lot of detail in a June post about season pass sales on the Storm Skiing Journal. In particular, he is keeping track of Covid related refund policies. Easy to miss because the title and beginning of the article is about Magic. There is a public Google Doc being used for reference as things change.

June 21, Skiing Storm Journal
Magic Announces Record Pass Sales After Slashing Prices
https://skiing.substack.com/p/magic-announces-record-pass-sales

". . .
Running list of Northeast mountains offering refunds or deferrals on 2020-21 season passes: Vail/Epic Pass (Stowe, Okemo, Mount Snow, Wildcat, Attitash, Crotched, Mount Sunapee, Hunter, Roundtop, Whitetail, Liberty, Jack Frost, Big Boulder), Alterra/Ikon Pass (Stratton, Sugarbush), Pats Peak, Waterville Valley, Cannon, Cranmore, Ragged, Windham, Mount Peter, Plattekill, Bristol, Jay Peak, Burke, Magic, Bolton Valley, Killington-Pico, Smugglers’ Notch, Bromley, Boyne 3 (Loon, Sugarloaf, Sunday River), Lost Valley (ME), King Pine (NH), Elk (PA), Blue Mountain (PA), Spring Mountain (PA), Yawgoo (RI), Berkshire East/Catamount, Jiminy Peak, Wachusett, Butternut

Mountains that have committed to some sort of refund/deferral policy, but have not yet provided details (new category based upon my podcast conversation with Mad River Glen GM Matt Lillard): Mad River Glen

Notable holdouts (I have been told off the record that some of these mountains are working on policies): ORDA 3 (Whiteface, Gore, Belleayre), Greek Peak-Toggenburg, Holiday Valley, Bretton Woods, Gunstock, Black N.H., Shawnee Peak (Maine), Mt. Abram, Saddleback, Camelback, Seven Springs-Hidden Valley-Laurel
. . ."

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I bought my Gold pass for Sunday River before they took the passes off sale June 15'th and today I bought a Bronze Wachusett pass so I can 1) have a backup in my home state in case of extreme travel restrictions or closures in the north and 2) take advantage of some weekdays/nights skiing there since I'll hopefully still be working from home.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's a summary of what ORDA decided to do for Whiteface, Gore, and Belleayre. There is pass protection if make a decision before Dec. 1. Can use the pass in late Nov. and still opt to get full credit to use in assorted ways before the end of the 2021-22 season. Deadline for the lowest price extended to Sept. 2.

July 16, The Storm Skiing Journal
Whiteface, Gore, Belleayre’s NY SKI3 Pass Offers Deferrals, Pushes Early-Bird Deadline to Sept. 2
https://skiing.substack.com/p/whiteface-gore-belleayres-ny-ski3

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna