• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Thoughts on buying a season pass

mustski

Angel Diva
But quarantine is quite specific. I would assume the insurance company won't cover pandemic situations.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
We have decided to buy passes to Mad River Glen. Reasons:

- support our local mountain
- force me to finally be a better skier (as I'm mostly better at snowboarding)
- will likely be unadvisable to travel by air to ski/ride for 2021 season
- coop structure more likely to mean that if the season is screwed, owners will try to make accommodations for pass buyers
- we can see it from our house (26 mins door to door)

I also bought an uphill pass at Bolton Valley to give a little bit of love to that mountain too.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Magic Mountain has (I think the first mountain to?) come out with a specific policy for what happens if they can't open due to government closures or if they have to close early. I think every mountain needs to come out with something like this, and refine it based on their usual season lengths etc. They have also dropped prices and included new discounts for healthcare workers. From their site:

Although season passes, as always, remain non-refundable, Magic will provide full credit for a new 21/22 season pass if the government closes ski areas for the season before our 20/21 opening day due to COVID-19. Some partial credit toward a future season pass will be done if the season is shut down early before February 1, 2021. Therefore, your Early Bird pass investment is protected.

I think February 1'rst is WAY too early to be the cutoff, but they can also have quite a short season compared to some others in New England with more snowmaking capabilities etc. I do at least appreciate that they are giving something in this regard. I think other mountains and passes keeping their lips zipped, and not addressing the huge elephant in the room is completely tone deaf. Hopefully low pass sales and public pressure will force others to issue statements addressing this issue in some way as well. I don't think its fair to expect people to fork over money without saying anything at all on the topic, personally. I'm going to wait as long as I can to make a decision on what I'm doing.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just got an email from Magic today. Three important things:

1) Magic is lowering prices on all passes by between 5-10% versus last year's Early Bird Sales period in order to provide a little relief to its customers during the COVID-19 crises. All of Magic's "Unlimited" season passes, which have no restrictions, are reduced by 10%, and all of Magic's lower-priced "Specialty" and "Vermonter" passes are reduced by 5%.

2) Magic has extended its Early Bird Sale period by another month, from a May 15th deadline to a June 15th deadline.

2) Magic will provide full credit for a new 21/22 season pass if the government closes ski areas for the season before our 20/21 opening day due to COVID-19. Some partial credit toward a future season pass will be done if the season is shut down early before February 1, 2021. Therefore, your Early Bird pass investment is protected.

THIS is how you run a mountain.

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Just got an email from Magic today. Three important things:

1) Magic is lowering prices on all passes by between 5-10% versus last year's Early Bird Sales period in order to provide a little relief to its customers during the COVID-19 crises which has impacted many families economically. All of Magic's "Unlimited" season passes, which have no restrictions, are reduced by 10%, and all of Magic's lower-priced "Specialty" and "Vermonter" passes are reduced by 5%.

2) Magic has extended its Early Bird Sale period by another month, from a May 15th deadline to a June 15th deadline.

2) Magic will provide full credit for a new 21/22 season pass if the government closes ski areas for the season before our 20/21 opening day due to COVID-19. Some partial credit toward a future season pass will be done if the season is shut down early before February 1, 2021. Therefore, your Early Bird pass investment is protected.

THIS is how you run a mountain.

Haha we are on the same wavelength, I think we posted at the same time! Couldn't agree more. Every other mountain needs to come out and say something about this. It is NOT okay to just ignore it and then expect people to give you their money right now. Pushing out deadlines is great, but they need to say something specific on the potential that they can't operate as usual next season. I'd also say they've had more than enough time to discuss and come up with a plan. Most places have been closed for a month already! What is the hold up??

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I saw this comment posted to a MRG Facebook post by their social media team:

“You don't need the refundable option to protect you from us not operating due to Pandemic issues. We will take care of our passholders accordingly if its not remotely ‘normal’ operations. Too many variables to say what that would look like as this point in time.”

So it seems that my hunch is probably right. However, we ended up deciding to wait until the fall to buy our pass to MRG because of a bit of cash flow uncertainty at the hospital and potential wage cuts. We will still buy passes for MRG, but it’s better for our situation to wait a few months.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well stated. Vail has done ZERO communication about passes next year. Not even a, “we don’t know yet and we’re trying to figure it out” email to current passholders. I’m getting really antsy waiting to hear from them.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Well stated. Vail has done ZERO communication about passes next year. Not even a, “we don’t know yet and we’re trying to figure it out” email to current passholders. I’m getting really antsy waiting to hear from them.

I truly think there's too much pressure for them not to do anything. But yes, aside from that tweet I quoted from Twitter, there has been NOTHING said about it at all. Not a good move.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Jackson Hole just announced their spring season pass sale.

To quote the email I received from them today: "We are relaxing our refund policy and implementing a new down payment option for payment flexibility at 40% down followed by full payment due Friday, October 16, 2020. Purchasers may cancel their season pass purchase through October 15, 2020 for any reason, minus a $45 administration fee."

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would be 100% sympathetic to an email from Vail saying they’re still figuring things out and they don’t have anything concrete to share yet. Radio silence NSM.

That’s a reasonable policy from Jackson Hole.

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought the Ikon. I’ll be expecting my renewal discount refund (as I bought right before the extra discount was made available) and I also am glad they are letting people defer until December, when we’ll hopefully know more. I didn’t ski as much as I wanted to this year but I got in about 10 days which was enough to pay off the pass (yay for early season trips). I plan on skiing mostly in state.

Now stay home everyone so we can get back to skiing next year!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Now stay home everyone so we can get back to skiing next year!!

Of course it matters what we do now.. but when we start talking about next season, and the possibility of a resurgence in the fall with flu season, I don’t think there’s any way we can actively do anything to avoid it if it’s going to happen.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Tenney has a post on their Facebook page, asking for opinions on how they should proceed — with a link to the blog post.
Love how Michael puts things:

". . .
You all know the huge challenges and expenses in operating a medium size resort and most of you are experts on what season pass offerings are out there. As always, we at TENNEY are looking for your opinion and feedback on what would be an acceptable preseason pass policy that both the mountain and patrons can benefit by. You’re positive feedback and opinions over the last three years have got us to this point and now, whilst everyone seems to have time on their hands, we ask you to put a little thought into this request and share it in the comments below for all to build upon."
More than one person mentioned the Indy Pass. I had Tenney on my list of three suggestions to add to Indy when I filled out the pass holder survey recently. It's a really fun New England ski area.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a Wachusett pass. It doesn't take many ski days for my midweek pass there to pay off. But I'm waiting a bit longer to decide if I should spring for an Ikon again.

Do you know when the current pass pricing at Wachusett goes until? I was looking online and couldn't seem to find it, though could be overlooking it. The more my company talks about the potential of more work from home time in the future even post Covid, the more I'm thinking I may get a pass there for next season. If I am able to work from home on days when the 8 week adult program takes place, I'd definitely do it because I am so close versus if I had to drive over from Cambridge on Tuesday nights. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to have a pass in MA just in case there are any travel restrictions next season. The current price for the bronze is so cheap at $299! Does it go any cheaper than that with the group rates etc.? Would be awesome to get at least a night of sking in per week in addition to regular weekends up north..

I just don't know when I'll know what my in office versus at home schedule will be like for next winter, but hopefully that'll become clear soon. I'm hearing that we are going to get new guidance on our technology benefits soon. Currently we get a certain amount every 2 years that can be spent on stuff that will help you work or for wellness, like ipad pros, iphones, headphones, iwatches, etc. However, we have never been allowed to get like monitors for a home office etc. Looks like that is about to change. I'm psyched about that because the only thing I don't like about working from home is being stuck on a small monitor screen all day whereas my desk at work has 2 large monitors with a docking station for my laptop. It's just so much more efficient! Hoping I can copy my setup at home soon.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna