• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

This crazy weather of ours...

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last week it was minus 25 with windchills of minus 40 for most of the week. In other words, way way WAY too cold to ski.

Today the deep freeze finally lifted, and it was minus 5 and snowy/blowy all day. I finally got a ski day in; conditions were tracked-out clumps of heavy, wet powder on a frozen icy base, but all things considered, it was a pretty damn good day.

Tomorrow? It's supposed to rain. 10-20mm of freezing rain overnight followed by rain and plus 5 highs. Oh, and then dropping back down to deep freeze by Tuesday.

Not to mention the giant snowstorms that he US Northeast, Ontario and the Maritimes have been getting.

Climate change is real, folks. :(

Anyone else been battling nutty, ski-impeding weather on their home slopes lately?

Jilly

Staff member
You missed a good day!! Freshies on the Flying Mile and Cossack! But compared to Tuesday.....

Hey - its winter!!

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't miss the day. I just didn't make it up as far as Tremblant. Spent the day at Saint-Sauveur today. And I agree, it was a good day.

ETA: Or, as I put it to my dad on the phone after I got home, "It was exactly the kind of day you would've hated: flat light, poor visibility, and lots of tracked out powder in unpredictable places. I had a great time."

mustski

Angel Diva
Cimate changes 4 x a year! Yeah it's been "unseasonably warm" for us. We are skiing all man made snow and dancing, dancing, dancing!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Three days of skiing . . . high was 7 at Elk near Scranton, PA on Friday. At Gore on Sat, it was -3 when we arrived at 10am and 15 by 2pm. Felt fine at lunch time. Today, Sun, at Whiteface it was 19 at 8:30am and in the 20's all day. Felt absolutely warm! Started raining in Lake Placid at dinner time with temp around 31.

Driving south first thing in the morning before the warm rain is replace by frigid temps in the Adirondacks again. Its will be plenty cold enough in southern PA and northern VA where I'll be the rest of the week. Going to check out Whitetail on Tue, with predicted high of 7.

The silver lining is that I know I have the right type of clothing and accessories for Jackson Hole in a few weeks. Don't think it will be much colder there.

Jilly

Staff member
lots of tracked out powder in unpredictable places. I had a great time."

Yup!!

I was pumping gas tonight in a sweater shirt! On New Years Eve, I worn all my ski stuff except my helmet to watch the snow show at Tremblant. Tomorrow well above freezing. Maybe I'll wash the truck!

Christy

Angel Diva
I went to the National Weather Service website to look at local temps and there was a big headline about life threatening temperatures across much of the country. Up to -70 with wind chill in some place. All I can think about with that is all the pets left outside. Well for that matter, the wild animals that always live outside! -70 isn't okay for anyone. :(

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have rain on top of freezing rain on top of ice this morning. The whole city is a giant sloppy skating rink. Countless accidents. Something tells me it's not skiable on the hills either; heck, I could barely get down the front steps of my apartment building. Good thing I went yesterday eh?

Jilly, I sincerely hope you're not driving back to Ontario in this mess.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Yup, it's crazy...frigid temps Friday after 7" snow; on Sunday, it was 24 and raining, so freezing on every surface. This AM it was near 50, now the cold is moving back in and the wind is howling with flurries in the air.

My dogs and new puppy tracked in mud this AM. We went from snow everywhere to slush and mud.

Ski areas get great conditions for a few days, then it becomes a glacier. Wacky, indeed. At least we don't have California's drought. I worry about how dry it is out there and the ramifications.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Well, Segacs, if it makes you feel any better, there are at this moment a few flurries in Morin-Heights. Our driveway guy came today before the freeze-up (he should have come yesterday) and plowed where he could - ie where there were no cars. Now things have frozen solid so there are at least two levels in the driveway - and I'm not sure how that's going to be rectified!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
-8 F on Saturday when I left to go skiing on Saturday morning.
zero (0) F when I left to go skiing Sunday morning.
46 F when I left to go to New Hampshire Monday morning.
Just got an alert from the NWS that windchills below -20F expected from midnight tonight (Monday) through Wednesday morning.

The thing that chaps me off is the effect that all these wild swings have on the surface. I've had plans for the last two months to go skiing tomorrow and Wednesday at Loon. I know that at Mount Snow, they started cranking the fan guns as soon as the temperature dropped, and with luck, they'll have the surface restored by Wednesday. Tomorrow is going to be dust-on-crust - there's no way around that I think. I don't know much about the grooming and snow-making at Loon, and I'm just hoping like crazy that what greets me in the morning is not a surface covered with death cookies as the grooming cats grind up the ice that is about to form, even as I type.

I've seen a lot of crazy weather, being from Texas and living there well into adulthood...but I've never seen anything that beats THIS week for sheer lunacy.

Jilly

Staff member
Really bad lake effect snow here right now. I was worried for our little local bump that they would be a sheet of ice for Ladies night Wednesday. Not lookin too bad right now!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Certainly was very lucky that the rain in Lake Placid held off until dinner time yesterday . . . well after we were done skiing. 45 degrees and raining when I left this morning. 32 by the time I got to the PA state line. By then the wind was blowing pretty hard and was made driving a little harder. 19 when I rolled across the MD state line at 5:30pm. Staying in Hagerstown. 11 when I finished dinner. Still planning on wandering over to Whitetail tomorrow but hard to say how many runs I'll actually take if the wind is still blowing even at midday.

linum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The thing that chaps me off is the effect that all these wild swings have on the surface. I've had plans for the last two months to go skiing tomorrow and Wednesday at Loon. I know that at Mount Snow, they started cranking the fan guns as soon as the temperature dropped, and with luck, they'll have the surface restored by Wednesday. Tomorrow is going to be dust-on-crust - there's no way around that I think. I don't know much about the grooming and snow-making at Loon, and I'm just hoping like crazy that what greets me in the morning is not a surface covered with death cookies as the grooming cats grind up the ice that is about to form, even as I type.

I have only been to Loon once, but I remember being impressed with their grooming and snowmaking so hopefully it won't be too bad!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna