• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Thinking about replacing my much beloved watea 84s

novium

Certified Ski Diva
Let me start by saying I fricking LOVE these skis. They have taken a bit of a pounding because I've never been able to talk myself out of not using them, even when I know it's early season conditions out there. I think they're the 2010 model. They cut through the crud and carve beautifully, hold the edge, and are quite nimble when they need to be. They aren't rockered. (I'm not really sold on hybrid rockered skis, tbh, they feel weird). They are 159 long (my ideal would probably be a bit longer, but it's been fine), the dimensions are 126-84-112, and the turning radius is 18.

But I recently got new boots in a smaller size, and they weren't able to get the bindings to work with the smaller boots at the effective mounting point they were at. (I've got rental bindings, so you can scootch the bindings around to be forward or back.) The bootfitter ended up effectively moving the mounting point back to be able to fit the bindings to the boot. He's right, that did get it a bit more float when I ran into some powder, but it also really changed how it felt the ski was handling, especially when carving. Granted, I've got way stiffer boots and they're still getting broken in so I wasn't necessarily on the top of my game, AND they edge so much more easily that I was probably over doing the edges a bit. But I just couldn't feel the tips like I normally could, and I was pressing harder to try and get that feeling, which then was leading to a lot of chatter...egh, it wasn't a fun time.

So this has me thinking that, after nearly a decade of fine service, about maybe getting the skis moved back to fit my old boots, and then gifting both to my cousin who is just getting into skiing. I don't live up in the mountains any more, so demoing everything and anything is a lot harder. What do you guys recommend?

My favorite type of skiing is the steeper the better, as long as it's flat. (I can ski other conditions, I just have the most fun charging down the long, flat steeps, at least when it's not icy or that super hard pack). I also liked having a ski that was stiff enough and heavy enough that I wasn't getting tossed around by variable snow.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So many choices...but how about another Fischer--My Mtn 84? Sidecut is 126-84-112 (159). They are, however, rockered. Maybe the 163 longer length would compensate for that?
Paging @badger for her firsthand input.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds exactly like my kind of skiing! :race:

I just purchased new skis this season and absolutely LOVE them - check them out if you have the chance to demo!
Kastle MX89 129/89/113@164 Radius: 15
Kastle MX Limited 128/84/112@160 Radius: 14
Stöckli Laser AX 124/78/111@154 Radius: 11.8

I use the MX89 for pure carving and it is my crud buster. I use the AX when there is just a few inches of snow and when I want to do bumps/trees. Still amazing on groomed, just not as damp as the Kastle. The Limited fits right inbetween but I only use it on days with perfect snow - they are too beautiful to get scratched up:nono:

novium

Certified Ski Diva
Sounds exactly like my kind of skiing! :race:

I just purchased new skis this season and absolutely LOVE them - check them out if you have the chance to demo!
Kastle MX89 129/89/113@164 Radius: 15
Kastle MX Limited 128/84/112@160 Radius: 14
Stöckli Laser AX 124/78/111@154 Radius: 11.8

I use the MX89 for pure carving and it is my crud buster. I use the AX when there is just a few inches of snow and when I want to do bumps/trees. Still amazing on groomed, just not as damp as the Kastle. The Limited fits right inbetween but I only use it on days with perfect snow - they are too beautiful to get scratched up:nono:

Outside my budget at the moment, but holy crap, a girl can dream. They look awesome.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Look for end of season sale or last year’s model? At least demo them if you have the chance!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@novium a friend just replaced her Wateas and got the Volkl Secret. She loves groomers and steeps at speed and is happy with her new choice.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@novium I do have the Fischer My Mtn ski. It however would not be as beefy as the Watea. The Pro Mtn may be a better Fischer option. So many great skis out there these days. Have you considered looking into the new K2 Alliance Mindbender? This one is getting very positive reviews and may suit you quite well. The Renoun Z90 is another ski you'd probably enjoy. Expensive yes, but it is possible to find deals.

novium

Certified Ski Diva
@novium I do have the Fischer My Mtn ski. It however would not be as beefy as the Watea. The Pro Mtn may be a better Fischer option. So many great skis out there these days. Have you considered looking into the new K2 Alliance Mindbender? This one is getting very positive reviews and may suit you quite well. The Renoun Z90 is another ski you'd probably enjoy. Expensive yes, but it is possible to find deals.
Cool, thanks!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will definitely keep an eye out, but it says they only made 200!
The MX84 is almost the same as the MX Limited and there will be deals on them soon. They need a technically strong driver who knows how to use the edge to charge on groomers. They are STIFF but oh-so stable and smooth! The more you push it, the more it gives back! It is not for everyone and most will find it very unforgiving if cruising leisurely is their thing.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, you'll have fun if you can demo! The new Kenja for next year are a stiff, serious groomer/all-mountain ski that are pretty darned fun (very similar in feel to the Secrets, but narrower), as are the Nordica Santa Ana 88 and the K2 Mindbender 88. Don't be afraid to try some stuff that you'd never considered. A lot of these all mountain skis have serious chops on the groomers. The Fischer's are a bit soft, IMO, if you're used to a stiff charger. Bonus of an all-mountain with a bit of rocker is you might decide playing off the groomers once in awhile is more fun than you thought it could be :becky:

elemmac

Angel Diva
@novium - I'd recommend the Santa Ana 93 as a possible contender (or even 100 if you want to go wider).

This recommendation comes mainly due to my experience, and how similar it is to yours. I owned the Koa 88 (I believe it was the same, or at least very similar construction to the Watea...just the women's version). I LOOOVED those skis. Then I put a frame AT binding on them...it changed the way they skied, and I just couldn't quite find that same love again (sound familiar?).

I finally chalked it up to a loss and went on to find a new love. I found it in the original Santa Ana's. I enjoyed it so much, I now own the newer version of the ski as well. They changed the construction a bit, made it a bit heavier, and a bit more powerful, but still so much fun.

The other one with a very similar fun factor, but closer to the width you're used to is the Armada Victa 87Ti.

novium

Certified Ski Diva
Oh, you'll have fun if you can demo! The new Kenja for next year are a stiff, serious groomer/all-mountain ski that are pretty darned fun (very similar in feel to the Secrets, but narrower), as are the Nordica Santa Ana 88 and the K2 Mindbender 88. Don't be afraid to try some stuff that you'd never considered. A lot of these all mountain skis have serious chops on the groomers. The Fischer's are a bit soft, IMO, if you're used to a stiff charger. Bonus of an all-mountain with a bit of rocker is you might decide playing off the groomers once in awhile is more fun than you thought it could be :becky:
I have some dedicated rocker skis. (And some old fashioned camber powder skis), so I don't need a one-quiver ski necessarily!

I actually really liked taking the wateas off piste into the chop, because they were just soft enough to be playful in the cement. The downside (it wasn't one for me) is that because they weren't stiffer, they topped out at about 35mph before they started getting squirrely. But as 35mph is literally the fastest I feel comfortable skiing (and even then, only when the slopes are deserted) that was not a problem.

novium

Certified Ski Diva
Well, good news! I'll have to take this thread and keep it in my back pocket for some future time, because I took my skis into the ski shop at the resort and the techs were able to move the bindings back up so they were centered!! (The boot fitter had moved them back almost a whole inch! No wonder they were all work and no fun on the slopes.) And the combo of the skis properly centered and my new boots was killer. They're so quick and responsive now, but still so stable, I felt like I could dance in them.

novium

Certified Ski Diva
The MX84 is almost the same as the MX Limited and there will be deals on them soon. They need a technically strong driver who knows how to use the edge to charge on groomers. They are STIFF but oh-so stable and smooth! The more you push it, the more it gives back! It is not for everyone and most will find it very unforgiving if cruising leisurely is their thing.
I had a free demo today. Sadly my choices on the MXs were 153 and 180, so I got the FX 85 HPs in 173. Holy crap, that's a good time. I absolutely need some longer stiffer carving skis.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dreamofskiing