• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Things every woman skier should know

mustski

Angel Diva
Once your kids start to ski, take lessons. They will get really good, really quick and you want to be able to keep up with their progress so you can keep skiing with them. They have the strength of youth; you need the finesse of maturity!

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No one can see the color of your boots when you have ski pants on.

No one can see the color of your skis while you are in the snow.

No one can see your eyerolls when you have goggles on.

Nonetheless, it is also OK to color-coordinate (if you have choices), and roll your eyes often!

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You WILL be faster,more stylish,technically more competent than lots of guys and some of them(not many) won't like it.It's their problem not yours.I mention this against the background of mountainbiking and more frequent experiences of guys being surprised and behaving a bit badly.Also 110% with Fluffy Kitty for colour co ordinating!

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is more than one way to handle long hair under a helmet. My daughter did double braids, and some combination of 3 braids that worked well when her hair was mid-back long.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
NO! don't do that, thats not healthy!!!!

Need to learn to stealth pee. Find trees, large rocks etc.

Don't take off skis you'll possibly sink or post hole, plus it wastes time. Need to make a "platform" by stomping the area where you are standing so that you are stable and not sliding or position yourself against a down hill tree. Then just pee between the skis lol. Carry a few kleenex, diaper wipes in a baggie or single packaged personal hygiene wipes in your pocket. Use a day liner when you ski.

I toured w/ men most of the time last year. Was accused of being dehydrated by guide b/c never saw me pee.... HA! I was stealth, quick and caught up before they even noticed......
:wink:

Pee standing up! This is a handy little thing, and the immediate availability of snow makes rinsing so uncomplicated.
https://smile.amazon.com/GoGirl-Fem...ing=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&ie=UTF8&th=1

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Regarding women's skis - be aware that many manufacturers change the recommended binding mount location on the theory that we all have big butts and our center of mass is lower and farther aft Mointing at that location will often mean that your ski is then balanced farther back - under the arch. This is not the best location from which to pivot, control and steer a ski.

So keep it in mind when setting things up. I am petite and usually opt for a woman specific ski. But I also find that I typically end up mounting my binding 1-2 cm aft of the manufacturer's recommended center line to get the true balance point closer to the ball of my foot.

Don't buy into that idea that a woman's center of mass is so different from a man's! It's a very very tiny average difference that can easily be obliterated if we just flex and extend our joints appropriately.

Just wanted to add to my previous post. I've had men on other forums push back - claiming that for women's skis, mounting bindings at any location other than manufacturer's recommended defeats the changes that designers make to the sidecut to dovetail with other "women's specific" modifications.

To that I would reply - being off 1/2 inch or so from the perfect spot in the -5 foot long sidecut is much less important, IMHO, than having the ball of your foot over the ski's true balance point weight wise.

Anyway - intwresting stuff to consider.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just wanted to add to my previous post. I've had men on other forums push back - claiming that for women's skis, mounting bindings at any location other than manufacturer's recommended defeats the changes that designers make to the sidecut to dovetail with other "women's specific" modifications.

Hah! For their own skis, they obsessively talk about find the sweet spot, adjusting it to fit the snow condition, fitting their unique body proportion, blah, blah, blah.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
On the other hand------------- I was witness to a young lady who did just that. BECAUSE she was still wearing her skis, as she squatted to pee, her skis slid out a bit sending her down the hill with pants down and a roll of toilet paper waving .

True story.
Sorry to say, I don't think so. I am pretty sure it is an urban legend. There are quite a few versions of this tale. "Roll of toilet paper" is a dead giveaway that this isn't a real story... who skis with a roll of toilet paper? Maybe some extra in a pocket if you are really prepared... but a roll? That's just silly.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
NO! don't do that, thats not healthy!!!!

Need to learn to stealth pee. Find trees, large rocks etc.

Don't take off skis you'll possibly sink or post hole, plus it wastes time. Need to make a "platform" by stomping the area where you are standing so that you are stable and not sliding or position yourself against a down hill tree. Then just pee between the skis lol. Carry a few kleenex, diaper wipes in a baggie or single packaged personal hygiene wipes in your pocket. Use a day liner when you ski.

I toured w/ men most of the time last year. Was accused of being dehydrated by guide b/c never saw me pee.... HA! I was stealth, quick and caught up before they even noticed......
:wink:
^^^^^ This is how you do it.
Not carrying a roll? That's a joke, btw see my earlier post.
Make sure there are no trees with a full load of snow waiting to dump onto you and your now open pants.
Watch out for tree wells when locating a spot.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOL men telling women where to mount bindings (because of our butts) they forget about their beer guts.. what's that doing to their balance and mount point that they obsessively move and change (try a lesson maybe you'll ski better was my response to one guy)

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Well - the point is that it DOESN'T matter what your physique is. That doesn't determine your mounting point.

The idea is to balance your ski on the side of your hand and mount the binding so that the place where the ball of your foot would sit - generally the friction plate behind the toepiece - is over that balance point. Now the binding is located at the optimum pivot point of the ski.

You can learn to flex your ankles knees and hips to KEEP your weight over that balance point no matter what your physiological proportions. :smile:

elemmac

Angel Diva
Women's skis are great, but they're not for everyone: The ski you choose has more to do with your ability, weight, and height than it has to do with your gender. So don't overlook a ski just because it's not categorized as a "women's" ski.

I'll throw in the exact opposite of this as well...
Don't underestimate a ski simply because it IS categorized as a woman's ski. There are a lot of strong women skiers that overlook women's skis because they assume they'll over power it...IMO, they're missing out on a lot of good, strong skis.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll throw in the exact opposite of this as well...
Don't underestimate a ski simply because it IS categorized as a woman's ski. There are a lot of strong women skiers that overlook women's skis because they assume they'll over power it...IMO, they're missing out on a lot of good, strong skis.
It is true, but sometimes the ski manufacturers don't make them long enough for the tallest and heaviest of us! I fully realize it's not a problem for most women though.

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pee standing up! This is a handy little thing, and the immediate availability of snow makes rinsing so uncomplicated.
https://smile.amazon.com/GoGirl-Fem...ing=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&ie=UTF8&th=1

I was reading through the parts about how to relieve oneself, and immediately thought of my GoGirl. DH and I spend a lot of time on boats in the summer, and over this past summer, I acquired one and got pretty good at using it. I do recommend practicing before you're out skiing, however, as it is very awkward at first.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH and I spend a lot of time on boats in the summer, and over this past summer, I acquired one and got pretty good at using it.
I know this topic is taking a major thread drift... Would the GoGirl help skiing? or just better aim? And just out of curiosity where is your pee going on the boat?
Honestly, if you wear a skirt and have a cup you can pee standing up anywhere discretely.

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am not a skirt girl, but that's always an option, too. The device has a spout that I tuck into the end of a recycled iced tea bottle, which then gets dumped into the lake and rinsed for later. If I were brave enough, I'd stand closer to the edge of the boat, but as is the complaint of many men, my spout wasn't long enough to give me that kind of confidence (although I've read that GoGirl now has an extension tube, so I may try that next year). I would plan on bringing it skiing with me, but honestly, our hills are so small that I'm never more than 10 minutes from a restroom (but if I ever get back out to real mountains, I'll bring it). During the last boating trip we took, it was cold and windy enough that I wore layers, and it worked just fine with jeans and lightweight long johns, so I imagine it would work ok with heavier layers and ski pants.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna