• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Things every woman skier should know

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Skiers get all sorts of tips, but there are some things that women skiers, in particular, would do well to know. Like this:

Women's skis are great, but they're not for everyone: The ski you choose has more to do with your ability, weight, and height than it has to do with your gender. So don't overlook a ski just because it's not categorized as a "women's" ski.

Anyone else have any words of wisdom?

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On days when your skiing gives you more grief than excitement, do not get down on yourself. . . You'll lose focus.

We women tend to be very hard on ourselves. Once we think we're " failures" it is hard to shake the negativity. And it spreads to everything else we do .

Remember that you have also had exhilarating ski days before and you will again. Maybe even on the very next run!!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Regarding women's skis - be aware that many manufacturers change the recommended binding mount location on the theory that we all have big butts and our center of mass is lower and farther aft Mointing at that location will often mean that your ski is then balanced farther back - under the arch. This is not the best location from which to pivot, control and steer a ski.

So keep it in mind when setting things up. I am petite and usually opt for a woman specific ski. But I also find that I typically end up mounting my binding 1-2 cm aft of the manufacturer's recommended center line to get the true balance point closer to the ball of my foot.

Don't buy into that idea that a woman's center of mass is so different from a man's! It's a very very tiny average difference that can easily be obliterated if we just flex and extend our joints appropriately.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There are advantages to a lesson or multi-day clinic that is for women only. For some women, it can be worth asking if a female instructor is available even for a group lesson. If you haven't had a lesson from a woman, perhaps give it a try some time.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
- so what I’m hearing is... “hold it.”
NO! don't do that, thats not healthy!!!!

Need to learn to stealth pee. Find trees, large rocks etc.

Don't take off skis you'll possibly sink or post hole, plus it wastes time. Need to make a "platform" by stomping the area where you are standing so that you are stable and not sliding or position yourself against a down hill tree. Then just pee between the skis lol. Carry a few kleenex, diaper wipes in a baggie or single packaged personal hygiene wipes in your pocket. Use a day liner when you ski.

I toured w/ men most of the time last year. Was accused of being dehydrated by guide b/c never saw me pee.... HA! I was stealth, quick and caught up before they even noticed......
:wink:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Color should not be a factor when buying a pair of ski boots. Get recommendations for a good boot fitter, not the brand, model, or flex for boots.

As for graphics on skis, there is probably a model that will be fun and have graphics you like. But if the price is right, can always cover up uninteresting graphics with stickers. :smile:

newboots

Angel Diva
Budget apres - a cold one in the parking lot with pretzels and mustard. But if the beer freezes you'll have to pay $8 for one in the lodge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly