• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TheSkiDiva's Rules of Skiing

alison wong

Angel Diva
Many posts mentioned this: "Never take the last run"

Why? What does it mean? What is considered as the last run?

Tvan

Angel Diva
@alison wong - “one last run”refers to that moment on a ski day when you’re tired, and you know it, but you think, “I’ll just take one more run, then call it a day,” instead of calling it quits and heading to the lodge.

Bad things tend to happen on the “one last run.”

newboots

Angel Diva
I broke two rules today. One, letting the group decide where to ski, where everyone in the group has been skiing for 40+ years. Except me (starting year 3).

Two, dehydration. It wasn’t pretty.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think a relatively new rule that I'm following is based on the "pre-ride, re-ride, free ride" concept I learned at a mountain bike clinic a year ago. Idea is that for the first run on advanced terrain I do a "pre-run" that is a bit cautious, especially somewhere I've never skied before. But also applies when snow conditions aren't optimal even for terrain I'm familiar with at big mountains like Alta. More likely to stop and look before moving ahead. Especially if there are bumps and short steeps with a blind section. During a "re-run" I probably won't stop but won't go full speed either. If there is time for another pass, then any speed that's fun works. Definitely think about the idea when I'm skiing solo and am exploring a ski area/resort for the first time.

Used the concept at Killington Thanksgiving week on the ungroomed trails that I'd never skied before. Didn't have time for many re-runs but worked out well when I did a bumped up trail the second time.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No drinking while skiing, wait till afterwards.

ABSOLUTELY! It makes me sick when I see people drinking then skiing, and I don't mean one beer, a couple of strong drinks. I only broke this rule once at Stratton, had one beer at the "mid-mountain" lodge which is only 200 yards from the bottom. It was fun, cool setting, but usually never do that.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
ABSOLUTELY! It makes me sick when I see people drinking then skiing, and I don't mean one beer, a couple of strong drinks. I only broke this rule once at Stratton, had one beer at the "mid-mountain" lodge which is only 200 yards from the bottom. It was fun, cool setting, but usually never do that.
No kidding, so stupid. Was on a lift last year with a young gun who'd definitely been drinking. I think he even had alcohol in his camelbak. On the way up he laughed and stuck his ski out to hit the lift pole. It caught and started to turn the ski backward. Fortunately, his binding let go of his ski and it fell to the closed trail below. My husband said out loud "Dude, that was stupid. You're an idiot." The guy just laughed. We got to the top of the lift and they had to stop it so the guy could walk off and then back down the trail to retrieve his ski. It was shortly thereafter we called it after the drunkards came out for the night skiing. We just no longer felt safe skiing and feared getting hit. Seen one too many closed calls...

newboots

Angel Diva
ABSOLUTELY! It makes me sick when I see people drinking then skiing, and I don't mean one beer, a couple of strong drinks.

I’ve seen or heard about pounding down beers on the gondola (and throwing the cans out onto the mountain), smoking pot on the lift, and drinking from a flask of whiskey.

Why would you want to ski while impaired? And why would you need to be high when in the beautiful mountains?

I love the mountains, but I can’t wrap my head around such a dumb plan.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I’ve seen or heard about pounding down beers on the gondola (and throwing the cans out onto the mountain), smoking pot on the lift, and drinking from a flask of whiskey.

We were getting really annoyed with the collection of beer cans below one lift last year. It was an open trail and I can't imagine how many skis got messed up skiing over the crushed cans. We made note to not go down that trail. Ugh.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Drinking and skiing. not for me either, makes me way too tired.

LOL @Olesya Chornoguz and I were in Gondola at Whiteface a couple of weeks ago.. A guy starts panicking. he can't find his phone. he has an app on phone to open his truck. Has no spare key.. Olesya points to a square item in his cargo pant pocket.. Nope not the phone he says. that's my flask!

Moral of story- Don't drink and ski it can make you forgetful.
Put your phone in a zipped -locked pocket!
Have a spare key in your boot bag!!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I broke two rules today. One, letting the group decide where to ski, where everyone in the group has been skiing for 40+ years. Except me (starting year 3).

Two, dehydration. It wasn’t pretty.
@newboots Ugh you really were dealt 2 big ones. On the first, being the bronco and bucking the group dynamic--all that energy and bonhomie--is certainly not easy. On the dehydration, I used to ski with a small hydromedary pack, but stopped because it was just easier to not have to deal with it. I drink a lot of water in the day before and the morning of a ski day these days, and drink 2-3 of those small cups during the inevitable bathroom breaks.

newboots

Angel Diva
@newboots Ugh you really were dealt 2 big ones. On the first, being the bronco and bucking the group dynamic--all that energy and bonhomie--is certainly not easy. On the dehydration, I used to ski with a small hydromedary pack, but stopped because it was just easier to not have to deal with it. I drink a lot of water in the day before and the morning of a ski day these days, and drink 2-3 of those small cups during the inevitable bathroom breaks.

The most annoying thing is I know better! I got dehydrated once before - the day of my first lesson as a never-ever. My water bottle froze. I’m back to drinking much more, deliberately.

When the group headed down a black diamond trail (named Panic Button!) on the second run of the day, I pitched a fit. That was the first not-pretty part. The second was a fall.

Today was much better! Good skiing, parking close to the lodge, no crowds, no weekend warrior relatives! So grateful to be semi-retired and have some weekday skiing.

KBee

Angel Diva
We made two new rules today!

No yelling "MOM!" right before I drop in, unless it's an emergency.

Only one photo shoot/video session per run, max 2 or 3 per day. (Basically, let me ski, too.)

newboots

Angel Diva
No yelling "MOM!" right before I drop in, unless it's an emergency.

OMG yes! Mine was grown when I learned to ski but I can certainly imagine this!

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
Growing up my dad’s rule was to never ski hungry or thirsty.

As an adult, I always carry a small container of sunscreen in my jacket. I also make sure to check it’s not expired. A few years ago I learned how expired sunscreen plus bright sun and snow can lead to a really bad sunburn in a 2 hour ski lesson. :/

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:bump: Just happened upon this thread and thought it'd be a fun one to revive. Who has rules they'd like to share?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly