• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TheSkiDiva's Rules of Skiing

abc

Banned
How about ski now and filing tax later? :wink:

That's what I was thinking last Friday. Went skiing Saturday! Quite a nice day on the hills.:clap:

I was still very conflicted for skipping Sunday (forecasted for heavy rain) to do my taxes. Good thing I did though, it rained cats and dogs (which I had to drive through on my way home) and most trip report said it wasn't exactly worth it.

And I just got my tax filed after all.

One more weekend to go before hanging up my skis. Chores be damned!:redface:

abc

Banned
Bretton Woods, my NEW favorate mountain, despite being a good 6 hrs away.

For the coming weekend, I'm eyeing Killington (4hr), Wildcat (5 1/2) or Sunday River (6 1/2). Depending on where I could score a nice deal.

Seattle Gal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My rules thus far:

Ski days are too precious to spend with negative people. I dont care how slow you are, if you are my friend I'll ski with you. But if you are negative all day long, for example complaining about your body, the weather, how you are really not that into skiing, etc, then I will never, ever ski with you again.

Keep a mini first aid kit in the pack and know how to use it.

My ski instructors rules are: first be safe, then have fun. Lastly try and work on what I tell you. I mostly folllow his second rule. two. :thumbsup:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski days are too precious to spend with negative people.

What a coincidence! That's my rule for every day =) All my days - not just the ski ones - are too precious. And spending time with negative people just brings me down, too. I've never managed to actually bring someone else up when they were determined to be miserable. (Suggesting they need to see a therapist doesn't usually end well, either ... BTDT ...)

And yes - I totally get depression. Also BTDT. Maybe that's why I can't afford to let myself spend time with the negative folks.

Seattle Gal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never managed to actually bring someone else up when they were determined to be miserable. .

I needed to hear that. I've never "given up" on a friend before, but think that after a year of trying to help someone it may be time. Typically I hang with other high energy, positive types and so this is a new life lesson for me... :confused:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I needed to hear that. I've never "given up" on a friend before, but think that after a year of trying to help someone it may be time. Typically I hang with other high energy, positive types and so this is a new life lesson for me... :confused:

It's a hard one. First and foremost, take care of yourself. If hanging out with that person is actually making you more negative or otherwise negatively impacting your life, you need to shield yourself from that - whether that's cutting off contact altogether, limiting your time together, structuring your time in specific ways (going to a movie rather than chatting?), or even gently confronting - "Hey, I really like you for your <positive trait>, but it can really get me down when we hang out together and you talk about <negative thing>."

I like the idea of confronting - but it hasn't worked for me in the past. In theory, it could jar someone out of their bad habit. And yes, I do think negativity can be an acquired bad habit. Some people have learned that bitching is a normal conversation dynamic! A friend of mine wore a rubber bracelet for a while - every time she said something negative, she would snap it. She is in no way a negative person - which made it easy, I think, for her to recognize it when she started straying in that direction.

abc

Banned
I don't know. Friends are friends. I tend to stick with my friends through thick and thin. However, not every one I met become my "friend". Some people are just basically not fun to be around. They don't become my friend. In other words, none of my friends are negative by nature.

I'm naturally a happy person. So I don't get troubled by the temporary negativity of my friends. Occasionally, I would have acquaintants who are negative. I'm not shy to tell them to get lost because I'm not having their whinning any more! If they're NOT the naturally whinny kind, that was enough to get them to snap out of it. Those who are perpectually negative will look for other more accomondating ones to do their whinning...:wink:

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
- HAVE FUN !
- bring extra gloves
- always dry your boots apres ski
- follow instructors [when available : ) ]

altagirl

Staff member
I don't know. Friends are friends. I tend to stick with my friends through thick and thin. However, not every one I met become my "friend". Some people are just basically not fun to be around. They don't become my friend. In other words, none of my friends are negative by nature.

As far as my good friends go - this is totally true. They are positive people and if they aren't on a particular day, I figure it's a rough patch and would rather try to be there for them. However, I often run into situations where there is a perpetually negative person who is either related to a friend, or just are always at the same places and become difficult to avoid... For the most part I'd rather ignore it/laugh it off than deal with some sort of confrontation, particularly when it involves a complex web of other friendships. (Like if a good friend has a negative spouse...)

As far as my rules go - it's been mostly about not letting other people influence me. If I don't feel like skiing something, don't feel like doing one more run, or don't feel like skiing at all, I don't. And then I'm much happier (and safer) when I DO ski. My husband is like a little kid and an insane optomist. If there is a hint of a storm on the horizon with a prediction of 1-2 inches, it's guaranteed to be the best powder day in the history of the world. They're just "underestimating the forecast to keep people away". (Because that makes loads of sense...)

I guess my point is that it takes some solid determination to stick with doing what I want to do/know is going to be fun for me sometimes. My knees don't like skiing in rough conditions much anymore, so if it doesn't look good to me and I have something I know I'd enjoy more than going skiing (it took some looking, but there are other fun winter activities!), I stick to my guns and do what works for me. And I've had a good, safe ski season where I had a lot of fun both skiing and doing other activities that I enjoyed a hell of a lot more than sitting in the lodge trying not to cry because my knees hurt too much to keep skiing. It just took a lot to learn to not get sucked in by the "you missed the best day EVER!!" chorus.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I'm naturally a happy person. So I don't get troubled by the temporary negativity of my friends. Occasionally, I would have acquaintants who are negative. I'm not shy to tell them to get lost because I'm not having their whinning any more! If they're NOT the naturally whinny kind, that was enough to get them to snap out of it. Those who are perpectually negative will look for other more accomondating ones to do their whinning...:wink:

In the past, I've gotten sucked into other people's drama - it takes a lot out of me, but it makes me feel good to be the hero/shoulder to cry on. So I've had to learn that sometimes, I can't be that person. I'm not suggesting that people drop long-term friends at the hint of any trouble.

My new rule of skiing is kind of the inverse of AG's (although I 100% agree with hers, too) - if I feel like skiing, go, even if it means I'm leaving my husband at home because he's tired and wants to chill for the weekend. By doing this, I have five more ski days than he does this season =) That being said, I thought he wanted to ski this weekend (Breck's closing weekend), but it sounds like he'd just as soon stay home. So now I'm undecided. Sleeping in would be nice, too.

altagirl

Staff member
My new rule of skiing is kind of the inverse of AG's (although I 100% agree with hers, too) - if I feel like skiing, go, even if it means I'm leaving my husband at home because he's tired and wants to chill for the weekend. By doing this, I have five more ski days than he does this season =) That being said, I thought he wanted to ski this weekend (Breck's closing weekend), but it sounds like he'd just as soon stay home. So now I'm undecided. Sleeping in would be nice, too.

Oh yeah - it works that way too. Lately it would be rare for me to want to go skiing when he doesn't, but I don't hesitate to leave him sitting on the sofa while I go to yoga or go curling or go ride my bike or something. :smile: There are times I compromise so we can do things together, but I can't compromise to make my knees feel better when they are hurting, so when it doesn't make sense to me, I stick to my gut feeling.

abc

Banned
In the past, I've gotten sucked into other people's drama - it takes a lot out of me, but it makes me feel good to be the hero/shoulder to cry on. So I've had to learn that sometimes, I can't be that person.
Well, since you know what you get out of it and what it get out of you. So it's a matter of balancing the two to come out ahead.

I do understand exactly what you mean. I had the fortune (or misfortune?) to be the chosen "shoulder" for almost anyone around me. So I pick and choose when NOT to be available. The rest, I do get some positive out of it. Hey, one such "crying" session ended up with us going out together. :rolleyes: (the person was a positive person, just having a bit of difficulty and needed to vent -- I'm also pretty good at cheering people up)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:bump: This is a good thread from waaaaaay back, so I thought I'd bump it up. Anyone have any new rules?

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't read all the rules listed but here are mine that I may or may not follow:

Hands forward and weight on the balls of my feet.
No hiking, only do runs serviced by lifts.
Always go with the group who is doing the tougher run.
No drinking while skiing, wait till afterwards.
Never take the last run.

Tvan

Angel Diva
+1 for “Never do ‘one last run’”. That’s the run when DH broke his ankle, 3 weeks before my scheduled abdominal surgery. (Long story)

Additional rules:
Never take gloves off on the lift.
Never take anything out of pockets on the lift.
Be absolutely sure that you’re clicked into your bindings, before you get on the lift. (Another long story)
Ask before raising or lowering the bar on the lift.
Helmets on before stepping onto the snow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly