• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TheSkiDiva's Rules of Skiing

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
That's one of those "broken" rules of mine. :wink: It happened when I thought I'd do "just one more run before the rain gets real heavy". Well, the rain never got heavy and the skiing was just too fun to quit. So the "one more run" turned into the whole afternoon! :smile:

So I change my rule to "no skiing in heavy downpour". I'll see if this rule gets broken:rolleyes:

The water in the goggle part I just got used to. To ski when it's snowing is to have snow on the goggle and the need to stop half way to clear it. Rain is the same issue.

I think I broke the "no skiing in rain" rule mostly because of the newer tech wears. I really don't get wet INSIDE of me even when the outside of my jacket is quite wet.

OK, I'll say no skiing if it's ~already~ raining, but if I'm out there, "ok, maybe just one more run..." And, like abc, I may be soaked on the outside, but if I'm dry inside and the snow's fun....

Twice at Women's Alpine Adventures (Okemo,VT) we were stuck skiing in the rain (or forfeit way too much $$$) and Maria provided us with the plastic food handling gloves from the kitchen; I put them between my liners and my gloves for perfect comfort! Noone missed any of their clinic day!!!

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Always bring food. (All the time – not just skiing...)

Good one! I always pack a lunch and a flask of coffee or hot chocolate... sorry, not paying $10 for a hot dog and $5 for a hot chocolate, I'll leave that for the tourists :cool:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Listen to your body.
Not every ski day can be “Hammer Time.” If, for whatever reason, you’re exhausted > QUIT.
(While you’re ahead.)
If you’re thirsty, drink something. It means you are already dehydrated.
Take blood sugar breaks. In other words, EAT SOMETHING, for gosh sakes.
If you’re cold, go in and WARM UP.
This isn’t a competition or endurance contest: it’s an enjoyable sport.
Be good to yourself!

theBuff

Certified Ski Diva
We always say that we'll:
Ski to the car, take our boots off, then take one more run. :smile:

You introduced this one to me at Copper - and I appreciate it. Makes it seem like there's always hope of another run and limits the chances of that last run injury . . .

Also, it gives me hope since Copper was most likely the end of my season. <Sigh>

AliceH

<span style="color:#F89F07";">Angel Diva</span>
1. Don't ski with less than six hours sleep the night before.
2. When lots of people are coming down via the sled behind the ski patrol snowmobile, it's time to think about wrapping up for the day.
3. Layers, layers, layers. And always bring a hoodie (which only backfires when it's raining, and then it's miserable).
4. Never take that last run.

I can't tell you how important this one is for me - I tried to take a last run a few weeks ago, on a day when I hadn't followed rule 1, and couldn't make myself stand up to get off the chairlift - I had to just lean forward and slide off and got whacked in the back by the chair because I wasn't moving fast enough. Getting down that run was no fun. I think it's as much the being too tired as it is the stiffening up from the cold of sitting on the lift.

Edit to add: 5. Leave the keys in the car. (We have a car with a numeric keypad, so I never take my keys with me. If I were taking a car without a keypad, I'd probably rent a locker just to put my keys in. I'm THAT paranoid about getting stranded without keys.)

AliceH

<span style="color:#F89F07";">Angel Diva</span>
Wow, as a chronic insomniac, I'd have a lot of problems with this one! :eyebrows:
I have sleep apnea, so six hours of sleep for me (even with my mask) isn't as good as six hours for someone without sleep apnea. I have a prescription for wakey pills that will keep me awake if I got really lousy sleep, but trying to ski when I'm using them instead of sleep is a pretty miserable experience - it keeps me awake enough that I don't fall asleep on the road, which is a problem even if I've gotten a full night's sleep, but my energy is so low when I get where I'm going that I don't want to make the effort to get my gear on and get to the chairlift. I've had days when I've driven the hour and a half to the ski area, done two runs, taken off my gear and gone home, I felt so lousy from lack of sleep, so now I just don't bother.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Don't do anything that you're uncomfortable doing, or that doesn't feel right.

To me, this means not taking that "one last run", stopping when your body is tired even though you don't really want to, not doing the run that someone is trying to talk you into if you don't think it's right (even if it might have been fine the day before). Whatever it is inside you that makes you think, maybe I shouldn't do this today . . . listen.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Edit to add: 5. Leave the keys in the car. (We have a car with a numeric keypad, so I never take my keys with me. If I were taking a car without a keypad, I'd probably rent a locker just to put my keys in. I'm THAT paranoid about getting stranded without keys.)

I locked myself out of my car in January, which is why I carry my valet key in the same pocket as my pass, so I can check for both when I leave the house and again when I step out of the car. I lock my regular set of keys in the car, too. It doesn't make much sense, because a locksmith is cheaper than a stolen car, but skiing hours wasted while waiting for a locksmith to make his way up the canyon are priceless!

abc

Banned
The time spent driving should not exceed the time spent skiing.

Broke this one when we drove to Åre for 3 days. 30 hours of driving, only 21 hours of skiing.
I have a similar rule which I often violate! :wink:

Am about to do that later today: drive 10 hours round trip to ski (at most) 6 hrs!
Boy! Did I pay for this rule breaker today:mad2:

It was pouring rain on the drive back, for the last 4 hrs! I could barely see the lane marking on the road. Everybody was still flying along at 60-70mph. I thought about putting my helmet on for the inevitable pile-up to come! :fear: (I did make it home safely, but it was a very tense drive, took an hr longer too)

Turned out to be more like 12 hrs of driving for 4 1/2 hrs of skiing! (will do it again in a heartbeat:smile:)

mtngirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When skinning in... Go at a pace comfortable to the slowest member of the group... They might have to rescue you... you don't want any member of your party exhausted.

Tvan

Angel Diva
1. Helmets on. No exceptions.
2. Stop before "the last run"
3. Don't get pressured into skiing over your ability
4. Car keys clipped into the key fob in the zippered jacket pocket, Hiking wallet in the other zippered pocket, with the charged cell phone.
5. Don't take gloves off on the lift.

snow

Certified Ski Diva
1. Helmets on. No exceptions.
2. Stop before "the last run"
3. Don't get pressured into skiing over your ability
4. Car keys clipped into the key fob in the zippered jacket pocket, Hiking wallet in the other zippered pocket, with the charged cell phone.
5. Don't take gloves off on the lift.

I wish I read this before my first time out!!!!

I was pressured into riding these blue runs at squaw that was clearly over my ability, my guy friend forced me, yelled at me the whole time because I would fall and lose my momentum, then I hit a cat track and get stuck. I never forget that day.

I thought I lost my keys once and was sick to my stomach....

newskier378

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, as a chronic insomniac, I'd have a lot of problems with this one! :eyebrows:

I would too, Ive skiied with zero hours of sleep before, not the best idea, but thankfully I was helping friends learn so I skied greens all day.
With only having the weekends to ski, sleep is in a constant fight with hanging out with with friends. and well the friends usually win.

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A new rule this year- Ski now, bills later...

Otherwise I'd NEVER be able to afford to ski. I figure I've got 7 months to pay/catch up on those bills, but a good ski day is worth it's weight in gold to me. :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly