• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lutsen, MN has awesome terrain. The UP (Upper Peninsula) area of Michigan (and nearby WI) get awesome lake-effect dry powder dumps. Crowds tend to be minimal here!

Just southeast of St Paul, MN is my home hill, Welch Village. Let me know if you're ever passing through, and I'll see if I can find you a comp ticket!
That’s awesome, I didn’t even realize there were good mountains in those states! I have yet to visit, and always wanted to see both. Thank you so much, that would be awesome and I’ll definitely let you know!

shadoj

Angel Diva
That’s awesome, I didn’t even realize there were good mountains in those states! I have yet to visit, and always wanted to see both. Thank you so much, that would be awesome and I’ll definitely let you know!
"Mountains" might be a stretch! We suffer from a lack of vertical, but better skiing & terrain than you'd expect :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks for the great suggestions! We pass through both Indiana and West Virginia on our drive so that is perfect, could definitely take a day to ski next time we are making that drive!
Ah, then suggest you read up about Timberline in Davis, WV. We'll worth a bit of a detour for a night. Great fun for all ability levels. The long green from the top is a favorite of kids learning to skis, as well as cautious intermediates who learned as adults. I've taken friends there who are intermediates and they had a great time. Bonus is that it's easy for a better skier to take a different route and then meet up at the base for another ride up together on the high-speed 6-pack to the top.

marzNC

Angel Diva
"Mountains" might be a stretch! We suffer from a lack of vertical, but better skiing & terrain than you'd expect :smile:
The same could be said about the mountains in the southeast. Few people who don't know the area realize that Beech Mountain and Sugar Mountain near Boone, NC are over 4000 ft. I went to my first demo day at Sugar at the annual SugarFest in mid-December. The northern midwest gets a lot more cold days good for snowmaking than NC or VA.

Since this thread is about Moment skis . . . I demo'd the Moment Sierra at the Alta Demo Day in 2011 and 2012. At the time, what I was looking for were wider skis for trips out west since my all-mountain skis as an adventurous intermediate were 75 underfoot and I was starting to ski a run or two per day off the groomers. In the end I bought the original Black Pearl, 88 underfoot, used from a Diva. I had rented the "purple bull" Black Pearls as demo skis and knew that I liked them.

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been having so much fun on them with all the recent snow. They did great in about 8 inches of fresh snow. I finally got my bella tour mounted and taking them in the backcountry tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Junmei

Diva in Training
This review + a little demo day solidified my decision to get Moment Sierras as my hybrid resort/powder touring setup and....after ~20 days on them, I'm blown away. They suggested I size up, so I went with the 179s - was a little nervous on the length (5'8" x ~140-155lbs depending on the day), but it was the right call. I have now skied them in all sorts of CO resort conditions (ice, low coverage, crud, light powder, 4ft of heavy new snow, chop, etc) and they have handled everything superbly, including the shift between snow conditions on a single run. So far, the length has only been a plus - way more control, can still take on moguls, they are pretty responsive for tight turns. I mounted shifts on them and have taken them out in the backcountry on any day with more than 3" of new snow and after big storms where I'm expecting chop (my bc setup is 171 blizzard zero G which works well in most conditions but not lots of new snow). The skis are pretty light so I don't really notice much of a difference on the skin up, although I don't anticipate taking these in a backpack on long hike approaches this spring. This is the most "all mountain" ski I have skied in recent years (vs Volkl Secret, Nordica Santa Ana, Elan Ripstick, Atomic Bent, Blizzard Pearl), and I love the way it can handle all sorts of conditions and work well as a bc setup. I found that I could not ski in a very aggressive forward stance bc the skis are very centered - I thought about having them mounted differently, but the center stance actually seems to be working out well. I think skiers who do tricks will get more out of the ski, too. Definitely feel good about the investment, and thank you for this excellent review.

tri-ski-pucker

Certified Ski Diva
I, too, have.a pair of Moment Sierra's. Did not like them out of the box because they just wanted to go straight (now I think it was from tips having too sharp an edge). Moved bindings back from recommended and still felt hard to turn. De-tuned tips and tails and then I could turn them at new mount point, but it felt sluggish on initiation. So, had shop put bindings back in original position, with de-tuned tips/tails, and the skis now feel just right. They are not a carving ski, but that is a plus now that I have figured out initial set up issues. 5'7" 120lb advanced on a 172cm.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna