• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

There is a happy ending to this sad story

skiwishes

Certified Ski Diva
I haven't posted this season.

Two days before Christmas my husband was returning from a training session along a flat trail (Road Runner for those of you who ski Sunday River). A young teenage girl was coming towards him, and at the last minute she turned right into him. She put her head down and her helmet struck him in the chest, fracturing his sternum.

It was an excruciating injury. The x-ray showed a small nodule in his right lung. It was malignant. In February he had the upper lobe of his lung removed.

We have been unable to identify the girl. She saved my husband's life, and we will be forever grateful. Without the accident we would not have known until probably too late.

Grateful to Dana-Farber, too, and our surgical team.

I've been back on snow for almost a month. It has been wonderful. January was a blur, February indescribable. My husband will be back to skiing and instructing next season. The Universe is a beautiful, wondrous place.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, what an incredible story! Your husband's injury sounds dreadful, but how fortunate it led to the discovery and treatment of his other problem! Glad to hear that he is on the mend, and that things are looking up. Best wishes to you both.

skiwishes

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you. When really bad things happen, we get a chance to see the best in people.

It puts things in perspective, too. Two days after getting out of the hospital, I drove him (role reversal!) 1 1/2 hours to attend a fly-tying class. He has his priorities straight!

mtnbikegirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So glad found out in time. It happens more than you think. A good friend's dad cracked his ribs while giving his granddaughter a bath. Went in for x-rays and they found out he had early stage lung cancer. They caught it in time. He's lucky he broke his ribs.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
WOW ... thank goodness. A lady at my tennis club ran into the wall and knocked herself out; they took her to the hospital and found a brain tumor when they did a CAT scan to check out her injury. Same deal.

SO glad all is well! It's nice to hear good stories, for a change, isn't it!

skiwishes

Certified Ski Diva
According to the surgeon, the majority of lung cancers that are small enough to be considered 'cured' by surgery are 'incidental' findings: usually after car accidents.

I'm not sure why we don't still have routine chest x-rays, like they used to do.

skidoc120

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for posting, skiwishes! You never know where life is going to take you, do you? I was holding my breath, fearing to hear of his ski injury, and then thrilled to hear of the good news. Here's hopes of a speedy recovery. Sounds like he's well on his way!:thumbsup:

ski4fun

Angel Diva
Wonderful story! was wondering, did the girl even stop after hitting your husband? or did he think he was ok just after it happened, would be so great if she could hear (the rest of the story!)

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What an incredible blessing.
Embrace life every day!

skiwishes

Certified Ski Diva
She stopped and they exchanged the usual 'are you okey's.' When he said, 'no, I need ski patrol,' she was devastated. Her dad arrived, my husband explained how to get help. When ski patrol arrived, the father said they were staying at the Summit Hotel and would report what happened to the concierge and left. SP was busy with my husband. We have tried to find her, with no success, because we owe her our future!

And, you are right: it would be good for her to know there was an ultimate good that came from the incident. Accidents happen, and we are glad she was unhurt. If she were only a guardian angel, she earned her wings!

overthehilldiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The universe works in wondrous ways sometimes. My thyroid cancer was found because of another less serious parathyroid adenoma. Glad to hear he's doing well and that this was "a happy accident."
OTHD

atlantiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have goosebumps. So glad to hear of a happy ending!

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow...what good luck, although it probably seemed like the worst luck that day. I'm very familiar with Road Runner, such a flat trail but some good blind spots and since it's not so wide I can see how an unexpected move can cause a crash. I post on the SR board, if you want me to relay your story there, someone may know someone who knows the teen...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna