• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The US, according to an East Coast skier

marzNC

Angel Diva
Funny! Quite a few folks I've talked to in the northeast have no clue there is skiing in NC. Always surprised when I tell them Beech Mountain is over 5000 ft.

I should think of what people in the southeast would say. For sure, Snowshoe in WV would be noted on the map. Might include Whiteface or Stowe but not Tuckerman's.

Had to look up Mt. Airy Lodge. Apparently a ski hill in the Poconos that had 25 acres and 250 ft vertical.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love this! but as a long islander who mostly skis VT I think the upstate one should be where people from NYC ski. Hunter literally names trails after roads in the city!

marzNC

Angel Diva
The northeast perspective on the NC mountains is "Heard they had ski hills here. Why bother?" The southeast perspective on VT/NH/ME is "Too cold and trails are too icy and narrow. Why bother when flights are cheap to Denver?"

As for Florida, the thinking of skiers who live in NC is "Look out for the Floridiots when there is snow on the roads."

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They got Utah and Wyoming mixed up (they don't call it Vtah for nothing), but otherwise spot on.

marzNC

Angel Diva
They got Utah and Wyoming mixed up (they don't call it Vtah for nothing), but otherwise spot on.
Guess whoever put together this map loves skiing in VT and likes Jackson Hole a lot. Clearly doesn't like California or hasn't been there. Doesn't seem to know that there is skiing in AZ and NM. :smile:

What's really missing is Canada.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't take it too seriously. It's just supposed to be funny.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love this! but as a long islander who mostly skis VT I think the upstate one should be where people from NYC ski. Hunter literally names trails after roads in the city!

I grew up on Long Island and my high school ski club used to take a bus every Saturday from Nassau County to Hunter! Lol! For some weird reason, the song "Centerfold" by the J. Geils Band zaps me right back onto that bus in the wee hours of the morning! :noidea:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I was wondering that, too. Is Utah "Vermont west"? If so, what does that mean?
My take on "Vtah" is the idea "real skiers" from Vermont going to SLC to ski at Snowbird, the mecca for "experts" in the northeast who also enjoy hiking Tuckerman's on Mount Washington in NH. As if most of the people you would meet on the double blacks at Snowbird or the hardest blacks that require hiking in-bounds at Alta would be from Vermont. (Alta only has green/blue/black on the trail map, no double black.) Utah also has very good backcountry skiing for those who know what they are doing.

I would guess that "Vermont West" for Wyoming on the map would be because of Jackson Hole and the backcountry terrain near JH.

The fact that Mount Airy in PA is mentioned implies that the comments on the map were written by someone old enough to have skied there when it was still open. Mt Airy ski lifts closed in the 1980s.

As for the east coast view of CO and CA, it wasn't that long ago when Vail Resorts only owned ski resorts in Colorado. Heavenly was purchased in 2002, Northstar in 2010 (took over lease, CNL owned the land), Kirkwood in 2012. Squaw has plenty of extreme terrain but was relatively unknown in the east before the 1960 Winter Olympics were televised. Before surfing the Internet became common place, not sure what eastern markets were targeted by Squaw marketing. Perhaps just a few ads in skiing magazines.

The map is funny. But like many jokes, can be harder to understand without context. Cross-cultural jokes in particular.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone who grew up in the New York metro area in the 1970s or 80s knows the reference to be to the ubiquitous Mount Airy Loge television commercials with the earworm jingle. I lived near the Poconos for twelve years and should have plenty of other associations, but still, whenever anyone says "The Poconos" my brain goes right here:

Beautiful Mount Airy Lodge

marzNC

Angel Diva
Anyone who grew up in the New York metro area in the 1970s or 80s knows the reference to be to the ubiquitous Mount Airy Loge television commercials with the earworm jingle. I lived near the Poconos for twelve years and should have plenty of other associations, but still, whenever anyone says "The Poconos" my brain goes right here:

Beautiful Mount Airy Lodge
Ah, that explains the reference. I moved from NYC to NC in the early 1970s so guess I missed out. :smile:

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
VT is Vermont. Vermont gets the best and most snow in New England, hence, Vtah, because Utah gets a ton of amazing powder snow. Vermont is the Utah of New England. I generally agree, no offense to Maine or New Hampshire.

I am not taking it seriously at all--just my perspective. :smile:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
VT is Vermont. Vermont gets the best and most snow in New England, hence, Vtah, because Utah gets a ton of amazing powder snow. Vermont is the Utah of New England. I generally agree, no offense to Maine or New Hampshire.

I am not taking it seriously at all--just my perspective. :smile:

Ha ha, I’m surprised that people who live out west even think about New England at all! Would be fun to see their “map”!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna