• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The Stockli rabbit hole: Nela, SC or AX?

coldthrill

Angel Diva
Happy spring to all! I'm so psyched I skied three days in the past two weeks. Not super noteworthy to most here, but this was after missing most of the season due an ankle fracture. I like my Santa Ana 88s (20-21) but don't love them, especially being on the East Coast and being a carving lover. I've been practicing carving almost exclusively (two weeks ago was my maiden voyage back since the mid-90s), and realize I want a carving ski, whether or not I keep the SAs. Well, Stockli intrigues me, to say the least. I'm 5'5" 124, was once an advanced skier and still love speed but am prioritizing technique, control and confidence. What I need besides time skiing and perhaps some lessons is a narrow-waisted ski that facilitates precision. I am debating the SC at 156cm, the Laser AX at 158cm and the Nela 80 at 157cm. It's a hard choice; ideally I should demo, I know. Any thoughts are most welcome!

marzNC

Angel Diva
For what it's worth, the Level 3 instructor I've worked with the most at Massanutten used to have the SC. He switched to the AX. He told me last month very happy with them. He's an older skier with great technique. He practices all the time. Because he co-owns and operates a small company, he pretty much only skis at Massanutten these days.

I demo'd the SC at Whitetail several years ago. I was intrigued that I could handle them. Hadn't been taking advanced lessons that long. Main reason I didn't buy was that for skiing in the east I didn't feel like spending the much money. Ended up buying the Stormrider 85 at Taos on the second day renting them as demo skis. They are my all-mountain skis for trips out west.

I haven't demo'd any Nela model. Not really to buy new skis. :-)

coldthrill

Angel Diva
For what it's worth, the Level 3 instructor I've worked with the most at Massanutten used to have the SC. He switched to the AX. He told me last month very happy with them. He's an older skier with great technique. He practices all the time. Because he co-owns and operates a small company, he pretty much only skis at Massanutten these days.

I demo'd the SC at Whitetail several years ago. I was intrigued that I could handle them. Hadn't been taking advanced lessons that long. Main reason I didn't buy was that for skiing in the east I didn't feel like spending the much money. Ended up buying the Stormrider 85 at Taos on the second day renting them as demo skis. They are my all-mountain skis for trips out west.

That is helpful. Thank you @marzNC. I'm leaning toward the AX (in 161cm; typo on my part) because of that bit of extra versatility. This is the last season for them, too. The new Montero AX (22-23), which will replace the AX, gains two cm waist and starts at 163 now, I believe. Sigh. The SC sounds perfect for me in world of reliable frontside conditions, but hearing that your former instructor switched and likes his AXes is confirming my thoughts. Btw, having read as much Stockli-related context here as I could in the last day or two, it sounds like the Stormrider is an amazing ski. It's great you found them.

VTborn

Certified Ski Diva
My partner just got the Nela 80 and they seem awesome. They’ve already improved her ability to carve and they seem good for lots of different conditions. Where do you ski? Ski essentials just added a demo pair to their website in a 157 - $799 with bindings, so a great deal if you could get up to Stowe to try them out. I’ve also seen a pair of the AX in a 161 in the demo fleet at Okemo. I just bought a pair in a 154 but haven’t gotten them mounted yet, so I can’t tell you my impressions at this point, but will let you know once I’ve tried them out.

coldthrill

Angel Diva
My partner just got the Nela 80 and they seem awesome. They’ve already improved her ability to carve and they seem good for lots of different conditions. Where do you ski? Ski essentials just added a demo pair to their website in a 157 - $799 with bindings, so a great deal if you could get up to Stowe to try them out. I’ve also seen a pair of the AX in a 161 in the demo fleet at Okemo. I just bought a pair in a 154 but haven’t gotten them mounted yet, so I can’t tell you my impressions at this point, but will let you know once I’ve tried them out.
It's so nice of you to let me know about the demo skis! I am in NYC and have been skiing at Windham. I will have to reach out and see when a Stockli demo day is planned there for later this year, as I hadn't planned to head to VT this month. Congrats on both the Nela and the AX's! I'm excited for you. Have you demo'd them in the past or did you just take the plunge? It seems like every last person has stellar things to say about them. I'm sad to see that they are changing. Thanks for sharing your partner's Nela impressions. I'm looking forward to hearing about the AXes!

coldthrill

Angel Diva

May I ask what size Nela 80 your partner skis? Do you know if the skis ski long, as has been observed of the Nela 88 due to the predominant camber? Wondering if the 80 might be worth getting in 165cm (my height) rather than 157cm.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have used the Nela 80 exclusively for the last two seasons. The only time I did did not was on powder days when my Black Crows were the better tool. The Nela is just a fabulous ski and does everything pretty darn well.

coldthrill

Angel Diva
I have used the Nela 80 exclusively for the last two seasons. The only time I did did not was on powder days when my Black Crows were the better tool. The Nela is just a fabulous ski and does everything pretty darn well.
That is great to hear. Do you find they ski short or long, at all? I've read that the Nela 88 skis a bit long due to lack of rocker.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Honestly, I couldn't say if they ski short or long. In my experience with the several pairs of skis I own now, and the previous skis I have owned prior, this issue hasn't been something I encountered. I believe the Nela is just so well-balanced that "ski short" or "ski long" is not a characteristic that I feel in any way. The only ski that to me, felt really short was the Renoun Earhart.

coldthrill

Angel Diva
Honestly, I couldn't say if they ski short or long. In my experience with the several pairs of skis I own now, and the previous skis I have owned prior, this issue hasn't been something I encountered. I believe the Nela is just so well-balanced that "ski short" or "ski long" is not a characteristic that I feel in any way. The only ski that to me, felt really short was the Renoun Earhart.
Thanks so much. They sound perfect! I feel like I'm right in between two sizes and wondering whether to go up or down

VTborn

Certified Ski Diva
May I ask what size Nela 80 your partner skis? Do you know if the skis ski long, as has been observed of the Nela 88 due to the predominant camber? Wondering if the 80 might be worth getting in 165cm (my height) rather than 157cm.
She is 172cm and is on the 165 and doesn’t really feel they ski long. They can feel a tiny bit long in moguls but she attributes that mostly to skill. Her other skis (head kore 85 and Salomon qst 92) are in the low 160s. She finds them easier to ski than this year’s Black Pearl 88 in the 165 which surprised me but that may have to do with the width.

coldthrill

Angel Diva
She is 172cm and is on the 165 and doesn’t really feel they ski long. They can feel a tiny bit long in moguls but she attributes that mostly to skill. Her other skis (head kore 85 and Salomon qst 92) are in the low 160s. She finds them easier to ski than this year’s Black Pearl 88 in the 165 which surprised me but that may have to do with the width.
Thanks so much for this!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW, the Stockli rep called me last weekend and told me I NEED to get a pair of SC, but to compliment by Nela 88s so I can really elevate my carving game. That being said, the 88s are by far the most precise ski I've been on all season (17 different skis total.) My 88s just make me smile all the time.

Here's what happens: you buy a pair of whichever, then decide you need ANOTHER pair to compliment the ones you have, and nobody can pry either one out of your cold, dead hands!

coldthrill

Angel Diva
FWIW, the Stockli rep called me last weekend and told me I NEED to get a pair of SC, but to compliment by Nela 88s so I can really elevate my carving game. That being said, the 88s are by far the most precise ski I've been on all season (17 different skis total.) My 88s just make me smile all the time.

Here's what happens: you buy a pair of whichever, then decide you need ANOTHER pair to compliment the ones you have, and nobody can pry either one out of your cold, dead hands!
I totally foresee this happening! Are you going to do it?

VTborn

Certified Ski Diva
It's so nice of you to let me know about the demo skis! I am in NYC and have been skiing at Windham. I will have to reach out and see when a Stockli demo day is planned there for later this year, as I hadn't planned to head to VT this month. Congrats on both the Nela and the AX's! I'm excited for you. Have you demo'd them in the past or did you just take the plunge? It seems like every last person has stellar things to say about them. I'm sad to see that they are changing. Thanks for sharing your partner's Nela impressions. I'm looking forward to hearing about the AXes!
I took the AX out at Killington today and they were bomb! I felt bad taking them out in spring conditions, but couldn’t wait. We didn’t arrive till noon so it was scraped off ice, moguls, deep slush. I never thought I’d be able to handle those conditions on a narrower carving ski, but they were a blast. They are FAST, and as everyone else says, very precise in a way I’ve never really experienced before in a ski. They did anything I asked them, and were surprisingly good to me in ruts and big slushy piles. They never seemed to get caught up in the snow; they just wanted to go. I had so much fun. Can’t wait to get them on firm snow, though. I’d really love to try the Nela or AR now as I imagine they are even more versatile.

coldthrill

Angel Diva
I took the AX out at Killington today and they were bomb! I felt bad taking them out in spring conditions, but couldn’t wait. We didn’t arrive till noon so it was scraped off ice, moguls, deep slush. I never thought I’d be able to handle those conditions on a narrower carving ski, but they were a blast. They are FAST, and as everyone else says, very precise in a way I’ve never really experienced before in a ski. They did anything I asked them, and were surprisingly good to me in ruts and big slushy piles. They never seemed to get caught up in the snow; they just wanted to go. I had so much fun. Can’t wait to get them on firm snow, though. I’d really love to try the Nela or AR now as I imagine they are even more versatile.

Thanks for the outstanding report! So great you got to ski them this year, and at Killington, no less. To feel the power they harnessed in super melty conditions says a lot! I was actually more impressed by my Santa Ana 88s in those conditions than on hardpack, but then that's why I'm looking for something carvier. Will report back when I pull the trigger on something. Meanwhile, congrats on your double new Stocklis!

coldthrill

Angel Diva
Well, I have finally exited the rabbit hole...for now. Thought I'd provide an update, as I finally got to test numerous Stocklis today. The winner: the Laser SC! I will try to post some ski test notes on another day, but what it came down to is that the SC felt super damp and stable, and I felt like it always had my back. It was, at the same time, compliant, as in, it kept doing what I hoped it would do, over and over. So an amazing combination. Something about it also just seemed to click with me. I think it's that that they felt familiar to me. I learned to ski on iconic, narrow and stiff Rossis as a tween. Those were too long for me, but these, in 156cm, were perfect in every way. I definitely skied better on these than on any others, too. And last thing: I am so glad I heeded the advice of many of you and held off buying without trying. I almost bought something a couple of weeks ago that I had convinced myself I would love, and today IRL I...didn't. Phew! Oh yeah, and it was spectacular day for skiing.

Attachments

• C6738C34-A2A4-4D29-BF15-1E522DB09BA3.jpeg
    C6738C34-A2A4-4D29-BF15-1E522DB09BA3.jpeg
    512 KB · Views: 6

Amie H

Angel Diva
Congrats on your new skis!

I just bought 2023 Nela 80s and I think they are not very "carve-y" at least, as compared to my cheaper, slightly narrower K2s, which do very well in hard pack and ice.

I found the Nelas a bit more soft on the extreme hard pack of late November in CO. They have more camber than either of my other skis. They were more compliant in soft bumps/skied-out snow and great dampening. I'm excited to ski them in 2 weeks when I'm back in CO and try some easy tree runs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly