• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The "little ski revelations" thread

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had two little ski revelations during Diva West. Both were basically free too!

Put 2" of duct tape on the toes on my boots to keep out the water and cold. After almost 8 years of wet feet I have dry socks at lunch and at the end of the day. Also dry feet are a lot warmer. WTH, how come I didn't do this sooner?

Also cutting my poles 3" shorter. Now I can actually swing them front to back instead of having to circle them around and worry about accidentally pole planting in between my legs.

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski Revelation: If you ski enough days, eventually one is gonna suck!

Went to the local mountain yesterday to return my season rental and buy my new set of skis. Since I was there anyway I figured I might as well ski. Maybe because my heart wasn't in it, or because it was 60 degrees on the mountain and the snow had a weird texture, it was pretty bad. I kept catching an inside edge and it felt like I've hadn't skied in months versus 2 weeks. Went to the bar for a drink but forgot my wallet (actually forgot which pocket my wallet was in smh). Called it 2 runs later so I wouldn't injury myself. It wasn't catastrophic, just puzzling... at least it's not the end of my season.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Were you skiing the brand new skis? I wonder if they had a burr or something on the edge, or maybe even a defect on the ski.

If not, yeah, sometimes conditions suck. :smile:
Or a bad tune especially if they kept grabbing inside edge.

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nope, everything was the same as far as I know. On the rentals, same boots, etc. I honestly feel like my skiing has regressed somehow. I can feel my feet do a one-two pressure change instead of a fluid weighting and lightening. I don't think I'm releasing the uphill ski fast enough or something but I don't know why/what has changed...

newboots

Angel Diva
I have read ths before! You aren’t the only skier who has had one of these days. I have. Others have. I’m sure it happens with other skills, too. Cooking, for me. Work. General life efficiency. All of these vary from time to time! Skiing too. I’ve heard even experienced skiers talk about days when things just didn’t go quite right.

kiki

Angel Diva
Agreed on the chalking it up to just a bad day @CrystalRose
How you slept, the snow conditions, the weather conditions, the level of crowds, if your body needs calories, if you ate the wrong thing, the astrological influences of the day...lol! So many factors. Just like the rest of life. And i believe 60 degrees is pretty hot which = slush. Slush sucks. And new skis need time for adapting. Next time will be better--hopefully colder for starters!

kiki

Angel Diva
After a bad few times out where I totally lost my confidence, this weekend it turned around. It felt good again and I had fun!
What made it different? Skid with a friend one day, my hubby other day, and in between day did drills on the bunny hill. I didn't go anywhere i didn't feel like or try to stretch myself. Just had fun :-)

KathrynC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did an off-piste clinic the weekend just gone and had two little revelations.

One is that I don't need to push on my outside ski to weight it, I just need to shift my weight over it and stand on it. That was one of those things that I knew but wasn't managing to do consistently. It clicked this weekend - so much more control!

The other was that when skiing deeper stuff I kept getting in the back seat trying to keep my tips from diving. I discovered that I don't need to get way back, I can keep my forward stance but just drive my weight through my heels rather than the centre of my foot.

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski Revelation 1: If you don't know how to get back to the lodge but you know it's "in that direction" don't just take any trail in "that" direction. Especially if it does not have a sign, DO NOT follow people onto it thinking it will take back to the base. It will take you into the trees. Then don't think "I'll just kick off these skis and hike back up". Why? Because your skis are actually holding you up on really soft snow semi-deep snow. Now you'll be stuck for 5-10 minutes trying to get back on the main trail in a way that isn't off an unknown ledge. :doh:

Ski Revelation 2: Dry your boots... oh, my boots are dry you say. NO!:brick: I said, DRY. YOUR. BOOTS!!! I took out the liner and footbed because I wanted to add a shim to take up some space now that my boots are packing out and guess what I found... mold :scared:! I need the I'm going to be sick emoji. My boots never felt wet at the end of the day so I never thought to pull the liners out to let them dry. Now I have to try to kill the mold in a way that prevents it from coming back. I'm tired of buy ski items but it's time to invest in some boot dryers.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Ski Revelation 1: If you don't know how to get back to the lodge but you know it's "in that direction" don't just take any trail in "that" direction. Especially if it does not have a sign, DO NOT follow people onto it thinking it will take back to the base. It will take you into the trees. Then don't think "I'll just kick off these skis and hike back up". Why? Because your skis are actually holding you up on really soft snow semi-deep snow. Now you'll be stuck for 5-10 minutes trying to get back on the main trail in a way that isn't off an unknown ledge. :doh:

Ski Revelation 2: Dry your boots... oh, my boots are dry you say. NO!:brick: I said, DRY. YOUR. BOOTS!!! I took out the liner and footbed because I wanted to add a shim to take up some space now that my boots are packing out and guess what I found... mold :scared:! I need the I'm going to be sick emoji. My boots never felt wet at the end of the day so I never thought to pull the liners out to let them dry. Now I have to try to kill the mold in a way that prevents it from coming back. I'm tired of buy ski items but it's time to invest in some boot dryers.
This whole post is hilarious! Except for the fact that I never pull out my liners, and now I’m for sure not going to! My boots are several years old and I just do NOT want to know!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

Two words: boot dryers.

I use them every single time I ski (well, afterwards, anyway). The first thing I do when I get home is take my boots out of my boot bag, stick in the dryers, and turn them on. Well worth it. I had my boots into the shop lately and the tech complimented me on how my boot liners didn't stink, probably because I do this. I shudder to think what these guys encounter on a regular basis.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Two words: boot dryers.

I use them every single time I ski (well, afterwards, anyway). The first thing I do when I get home is take my boots out of my boot bag, stick in the dryers, and turn them on. Well worth it. I had my boots into the shop lately and the tech complimented me on how my boot liners didn't stink, probably because I do this. I shudder to think what these guys encounter on a regular basis.
Me too..

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Upon closer inspection, the mold seems to mostly be on the toe section of the footbed. I can't really see down into the toe part of the liner so it may be mold free but I'm going to treat it as well. Thanks for the tip @newboots. I was reading online that vinegar and baking soda would kill it also. I might try that first just because I have it around the house but if I have to break out the big guns so be it!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Heat kills mold too.. I have boot fans that I put in my liners and I do take them out, probably should spray the plastic before putting away.

I also put Duct Tape over my toes on the exterior of the boots (have been for a long time) that seems to help the snow stay out!
My new boots have been good 'so far' I'll see how they make out with more spring slush..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly