• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The "little ski revelations" thread

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With this new knowledge, you might find that not only the Cheyennes are manageable, but quite enjoyable...

Oof... Truth time... I took those rentals back and got something shorter again:bag:. By the end of the day I could control them but I didn't like how much they punished my mistakes. Though I will admit that might be exactly what I need for improvement. Anyone have any opinions about that? Is that how you all improved? I feel like the Cheyennes punished me even more than the rentals so it may be a long time before I'm ready for them.

This past weekend I internalized the value of a well-timed pole touch/plant--if I want to make these an integral part of my trip down the groomer, I *need* to be forward in my boots. If I'm forward, I'll more easily reach the spot where I want to plant, and it will match the timing of my turns. If I'm in the backseat because of nerves or fatigue, nope, plant not gonna happen for me.

My instructor taught me how to pole plant too! And you're right, you have to be pretty forward for that as well. I couldn't get the hang of it with all the other info that was swirling around. I'm shelving that skill until I feel like my turns are more consistent. Any tips (besides being forward) for pole planting?

EeveeCanSki

Certified Ski Diva
My instructor taught me how to pole plant too! And you're right, you have to be pretty forward for that as well. I couldn't get the hang of it with all the other info that was swirling around. I'm shelving that skill until I feel like my turns are more consistent. Any tips (besides being forward) for pole planting?

On a flat, or somewhere out of the way where you can stand still, you can try to get used to the motion by moving your wrists back and forth as you hold your poles, for a scissor-like effect. This helps train the wrist to make more of a "flick", and brings the poles *through* from that joint in a calm swoop--if I plant and feel like I'm driving a stake into the ground, either I'm using too much force or using too much of my arm. I can understand what it feels like to not have the hang of it...the timing will disappear for me until I feel I have my turns stable.

I was also taught to think of pole touch/planting as like using the turn signals on my car--that gives me some idea of how much energy to put into the move, which isn't a whole lot on a calm green groomer.

Best thing to do--when you are ready to try this again, ask your instructor to also help set a pace, but they will probably do this anyway to help you execute the move. The instructor will watch you and cue when to plant. Then repeat, repeat, repeat this on a gentle slope to commit it to muscle memory. You will get it, promise!

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oof... Truth time... I took those rentals back and got something shorter again:bag:. By the end of the day I could control them but I didn't like how much they punished my mistakes. Though I will admit that might be exactly what I need for improvement. Anyone have any opinions about that? Is that how you all improved? I feel like the Cheyennes punished me even more than the rentals so it may be a long time before I'm ready for them.

Just my experience...the first skis I bought were over my head (really, the length came over my head)...they were a bit too much for me... felt they hindered my progress...my confidence was affected to the point that I couldn't really focus on skill development. I've become a better skier on my replacement skis.

It's so important to be able to trust your skis!

JO-ski

Certified Ski Diva
Hi ladies. When you say 'weight on the front balls of your feet'... Is it correct to think that I should be putting pressure on my toes and feel like I'm spreading my toes along the bottom of my boot?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi ladies. When you say 'weight on the front balls of your feet'... Is it correct to think that I should be putting pressure on my toes and feel like I'm spreading my toes along the bottom of my boot?

Yes, but not just your toes.. the front portion of your foot. why we say the ball of your foot. you'll feel pressure there and then when skiing the pressure sometimes is stronger along the inside edge of your foot, or the outside. you are using your whole foot.

Except Don't SIT ON YOUR HEELS- That's called being in the back seat and not good! Leaning your shins on the boot should make you feel the front part of your foot and then you have more control over the tips of the skis..

If you take a lesson ask about "big toe" little toe" exercise to get the feel of things if you concentrate when turning to the right on pressure on your right little toe and like wise when turning left pressure on the left big toe, weight and balance are always changing based on snow, pitch of hill and your stance.

Bending your ankle and leaning on your boots is the most important thing and finding the 'sweet' spot for your stance. Hope this helps and hope you have some good lessons. Ask lots of questions in lessons.

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just my experience...the first skis I bought were over my head (really, the length came over my head)...they were a bit too much for me... felt they hindered my progress...my confidence was affected to the point that I couldn't really focus on skill development. I've become a better skier on my replacement skis.

It's so important to be able to trust your skis!

Thanks for your perspective on this. The ski thing has been an interesting ride this season. The skis I rented Sunday were longer but also a different model than the ones I've been using previously. So IDK if it's that model I object to or the length... Then my weight may also play a factor because even though I'm tall, I'm not really that heavy (a man at this height and weight would be lanky). There's so many variables!! I'm going to keep playing with different models and lengths to see what I like.

JO-ski

Certified Ski Diva
Great tips @nopoleskier ! That explanation makes sense. Not being on the correct part of my feet is part of my balance problem. I'll be sure to ask lots of questions and take advantage of all the attention at my lesson!

Anyone have a reccommended instructor at Snow Valley in Barrie, ON?

newboots

Angel Diva
Tits, tips, ten, two - will give it a go tomorrow!

@Skiwino , @Powgirl , @CrystalRose (who am I missing)

On the hill today, @Abbi said a quick tip for keeping forward was "thighs over feet" (or was it "thighs over boots"?)

Obviously she hadn't kept up with this thread. I used "tits over tips" and then added ten
o'clock/2 o'clock and I really skied that hill!

And I helped a beginner who was learning how to stand up without taking off one ski after a fall. Quite proud of myself!

newboots

Angel Diva
It sure does. And SO much fun to sail down the trail instead of braking (skidding) (making Z-turns)! I also worked on stopping, and improved my "hockey-stop" to the extent that it might not need those quotation marks. My improving hockey stop. There. Said it without quotes.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Skiwino , @Powgirl , @CrystalRose (who am I missing)

On the hill today, @Abbi said a quick tip for keeping forward was "thighs over feet" (or was it "thighs over boots"?)

Obviously she hadn't kept up with this thread. I used "tits over tips" and then added ten
o'clock/2 o'clock and I really skied that hill!

And I helped a beginner who was learning how to stand up without taking off one ski after a fall. Quite proud of myself!

You didn't mention being a good Samaritan too!! You're really coming along! Cool to see you so fired up when you came back in!

PS: it was hips over boots, but t over t, works, too! I need hips over boots to keep me from bending forward too much vs moving my hips forward to keep more control of said tips! In years of teaching movement, I know not every cue works for everyone. But pretty much everyone can get a cue that works for them if someone can think of it. Go newboots!!!

EeveeCanSki

Certified Ski Diva
A play on words an instructor offered me about the skier's stance and leg position is that to ski well, go back in time to Asia during the "Shin-Tung [tongue]" dynasty--because to keep yourself properly forward, your shins need to make contact with the tongue of the boots. I haven't forgot that, and I can now better feel the boot flex as it should through my turns.

newboots

Angel Diva
A play on words an instructor offered me about the skier's stance and leg position is that to ski well, go back in time to Asia during the "Shin-Tung [tongue]" dynasty--because to keep yourself properly forward, your shins need to make contact with the tongue of the boots. I haven't forgot that, and I can now better feel the boot flex as it should through my turns.

I also found myself thinking about the
boot cuffs yesterday. I’ve known about this since Day 1, but there are so many things to grab your attention as a beginner, it’s taken me all this time to integrate it. My BF says “bend your knees” but it’s more helpful to think about the whole stance, and to think about my ankles. When I think about bending my knees, all I can feel is my quads burning!

newboots

Angel Diva
PS: it was hips over boots, but t over t, works, too! I need hips over boots to keep me from bending forward too much vs moving my hips forward to keep more control of said tips! In years of teaching movement, I know not every cue works for everyone. But pretty much everyone can get a cue that works for them if someone can think of it. Go newboots!!!

Yes, this! Tits/tips works if you also pressure your shins. I think.

Talk about the need for various (and multiple) cues!

Swears Like A Sailor

Diva in Training
Great thread that I've really enjoyed reading through so I have to jump in here for my first post: My revelation was that I am actually making progress this season, even though I was feeling like I was at a standstill. I charged through my first ungroomed black diamond run at Kirkwood like a pro - a run that I had never been on before and it was chopped up sierra cement. Didn't hurt to have my husband right there with me who is a PSIA Level 3 instructor, but it was an incredible confidence booster nonetheless :thumbsup: I also did a ladies' only clinic recently and wasn't feeling challenged, so long story short... I survived "the drain" which was super narrow and had really poor snow coverage. This is only my 4th full season skiing too. Sometimes it's the little things that add up to big victories!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great thread that I've really enjoyed reading through so I have to jump in here for my first post: My revelation was that I am actually making progress this season, even though I was feeling like I was at a standstill. I charged through my first ungroomed black diamond run at Kirkwood like a pro - a run that I had never been on before and it was chopped up sierra cement. Didn't hurt to have my husband right there with me who is a PSIA Level 3 instructor, but it was an incredible confidence booster nonetheless :thumbsup: I also did a ladies' only clinic recently and wasn't feeling challenged, so long story short... I survived "the drain" which was super narrow and had really poor snow coverage. This is only my 4th full season skiing too. Sometimes it's the little things that add up to big victories!

Excellent!! And what a great name!!!!! Do you sail, too? Or just swear like one?!! :becky:

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Take a look at the video Ursula and Skisailor put together on page 9 of the thread "Understanding Correct Stance and Posture.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna