• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The End of the Ski Trail Map - The New York Times

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
May be paying for the maps is a solution. After 2018 +a dry year last year and dry jan+Feb this year, I gladly give up maps to save trees & water for more snow.i know no maps don't fix the problem but anything little bit helps. When I get to a new resort part of the fun is discovering the mountain. I ski down the blues which go to chairs.

marzNC

Angel Diva
When I get to a new resort part of the fun is discovering the mountain. I ski down the blues which go to chairs.
That can work for a small mountain. The ones that I call a 1/2 day or perhaps even a 1 day ski area/resort. Meaning that it's possible to ride all the lifts and enough trails to get a feel for the entire place, assuming decent snow, good visibility, and the ability to at least ski easier black terrain. Helps to have a good natural sense of direction and navigation.

However, for a large destination resort like Snowbird that takes 2-3 days to fully understand, it can help most people to be able to review a decent size trail map before, during, or after a ski day. Trail maps on the mountain are good, but only for making a decision at that particular spot. Unless someone has a photographic memory.

I've skied enough places even in the last few years where cell service is spotty. That's another reason not to depend on a smartphone. Plus on really cold days, quite possible for a cell phone to lose battery power.

A bonus for a trail map for a traveler is being able to have a little fun marking up the map with the trails that were skied on a particular day.

Solitude trail map marked - 1.jpeg

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Plus, I think if you made skiing into a bell curve, the vast majority of people would fall into the intermediate range (also since that encompasses a very broad skill set). It can be intimidating at a new mountain if you ski at a lower intermediate level or a beginner level to not have easy access to a map whenever you need it.
I know when I skied at a lower level, I was constantly checking maps to be sure I was going where I thought.
Now that my skills are better, it is less critical but still important to know where you're going at a new mountain.

sevensaes

Certified Ski Diva
I skied solo at Gore for the first time this week. It's a complex mountain with a lot of different "pods" and I definitely wanted to be sure I knew where I was going at all times! I grabbed a paper trail map but have such a hard time reading the small print without readers that I ended up taking photos of each pod I planned to ski. I could then enlarge the photos to read the print. Maybe resorts could have some hi-res images of their maps posted all over the mountain for everyone to do likewise? No need for cell service, wouldn't run down a phone battery super quick, and for me, required about as much de-gloving, fumbling, etc. as it would've to get the actual paper map open and refolded. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Maybe resorts could have some hi-res images of their maps posted all over the mountain for everyone to do likewise?
I seem to remember that a destination resort that had a few trail maps at the top of popular lifts that were focused on the area served by those lifts. I think it was Steamboat. I know Steamboat often has a mountain host standing at a trail map who could answer questions on a busy weekend. Have seen that at a few other destination resorts on a busy day.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Powder Mountain doesn't have a paper trail map. They have the QR code for a digital trail map posted on every trail map sign on the slopes.

PowMow 30Mar2022 - 2.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly