• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The Best in Maine & VT, according to CNN.

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Best expert skiing is at KILLINGTON? :confused: They're joking, right? Must have had the BigK marketing person write that one. :rolleyes:

Jay, Stowe and MRG have far better advanced/expert terrain than KMart. Heck, even Sugarbush has better advanced/expert terrain.

Thatsagirl

Molly

Certified Ski Diva
Y'know, I think the reason that Killington gets such high marks (and this goes for Vail, too), is simply that it's the biggest thing in the neighborhood. Thus more people go. Thus more people, (A) wanting to be satisfied with their ski trip and (B) wanting to impress other people with their mad skiing abilities (A) report that the resort is just the greatest on earth and (B) report that its expert terrain is the toughest around.

It's all a self-fulfilling and marketing-driven prophecy.

-- Molly, who doesn't think K is that Special, either...

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a season pass to Kgton but would give it up in a second if I could have the same deal on ski days at Okemo that Kgton offers. We normally have house guests on weekend s and they want to ski the "big one" so we of course want to ski with them. But I really think the conditions are worse, the crowds are worse, the service is worse, and the out of control folks are worse at Kgton than Okemo.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Lilgeorg said:
I really think the conditions are worse, the crowds are worse, the service is worse, and the out of control folks are worse at Kgton than Okemo.

I agree 100%. Plus I think it's poorly laid out and the trail map and signage are awful.

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Molly said:
Y'know, I think the reason that Killington gets such high marks (and this goes for Vail, too), is simply that it's the biggest thing in the neighborhood. Thus more people go. Thus more people, (A) wanting to be satisfied with their ski trip and (B) wanting to impress other people with their mad skiing abilities (A) report that the resort is just the greatest on earth and (B) report that its expert terrain is the toughest around.

It's all a self-fulfilling and marketing-driven prophecy.

-- Molly, who doesn't think K is that Special, either...

Molly, I think you hit the nail on the head... ;)

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thatsagirl said:
Best expert skiing is at KILLINGTON? :confused: They're joking, right? Must have had the BigK marketing person write that one. :rolleyes:

Jay, Stowe and MRG have far better advanced/expert terrain than KMart. Heck, even Sugarbush has better advanced/expert terrain.

Thatsagirl

ROTFLMAO!! Thatsagirl you are too funny . . BigK . . . KMart . . .that about sums it up for me! :D ~ Lola

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lola said:
ROTFLMAO!! Thatsagirl you are too funny . . BigK . . . KMart . . .that about sums it up for me! :D ~ Lola

Vermonters who ski use those terms with "great affection"--I wish I could take credit for coining the terms, but some other clever person beat me to it! :D

Thatsagirl

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, we ski Killington, but I'm open to suggestions for other mountains that:
- are w/in a 5 hour drive of NYC
- make a lot of snow
- offer a $350 season pass and a ton of cheap hotels w/in 10 miles

And really, it's a decent mountain. Crowded, yes, but you can get away from the crowds once you know your way around. Not the best expert terrain, but something for everyone, which is important when you're skiing with a lot of friends.

So not trying to be a Killington cheerleader or anything -- I agree with all the criticisms here, really. But when you're coming from southern New England/NYC metro area and ski a lot (enough where you're buying a season pass) it really is one of the most appealing options.

Like I said, suggestions for other mountains welcome. :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly