• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The best bras and underwear for skiing

MissySki

Angel Diva
I usually wear my regular sports bras, but do have Patagonia underwear that I use exclusively for skiing. I’d use them for other active endeavors, but I don’t like the panty lines they create under regular workout clothes. I like that they wick really well and also stay put, nothing worse than a wedgie under all of your ski clothes! I have had it in mind to pick up a smartwool or similar type of sports bra to try out, but I just haven’t gotten around to it.

Scribble

Angel Diva
Its so silly how every possible marketing angle gets used! That said, the Kerri Traa one looks super comfy to me. I have an ouchy spot from an old, badly healed broken rib and have a hard time wearing bras with a typical band when I'm active. That one is right up my alley! I'm sure it would be a slight improvement, but for the price I think I'll keep using the ones I already have :smile:

knolan12

Angel Diva
I wear my usual sports bras while skiing (either Old Navy or Under Armour), though I do wear sweat-wicking underwear vs. my general day-to-day cotton haha

Jilly

Staff member
Well we do have a thread about sport bras. I usually just wear one of my work out bras...But this summer I picked up a couple pairs of the boy shorts for paddling. Think they might be good for skiing too.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Under my ski pants, I wear 3/4 compression pants I bought cheap on Eastbay. They are awesome; wicking, comfy, no wedgies, etc.

I wear my regular sports bras, but I must say, I would very much welcome something that wicks moisture way better.

I think we talked about this somewhere else last year, but I stopped wearing a bra when I use my touring skis to skin uphill; it holds so much moisture against my skin after a sweaty climb that I end up cold and unable to warm up. I just wear a compression shirt, also bought cheap on Eastbay.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Huh. I always just wore regular underwear (both top and bottom) for skiing. I have sports bras but usually only wear them for running sports (running, soccer, etc).

Christy

Angel Diva
I have a Patagonia capilene camisole that I absolutely love for skiing. It's extra long so it stays tucked in. They don't make them anymore which is such a shame. I only have one and I'd like more.

in those kind of articles though I always wonder if the products are actually tested or if they're just there to appease advertisers. I have always thought that Powder magazine as a publication with integrity, as opposed to Ski or Skiing which just seem to exist to sell resorts or products, but who knows.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Regular ski day on the mountain, doesn't really matter - sports bra and some interestingly rear vented Urban Outfitter underwear. Ski Touring? thats a whole different ballgame.

.... but I must say, I would very much welcome something that wicks moisture way better.

I think we talked about this somewhere else last year, but I stopped wearing a bra when I use my touring skis to skin uphill; it holds so much moisture against my skin after a sweaty climb that I end up cold and unable to warm up. I just wear a compression shirt, also bought cheap on Eastbay.

Best advise from my female ski tour partner - GET NAKED.
Yes after you sweat your ass off touring, need to get out of those wet clothes and into something dry (Especially if you agreed to "spring" tour/camp and your tent is made of 'nothing' (backpack light tent) with a cold storm coming in and you never got warm sleeping in all your dry clothes despite your 0 degree rated sleeping bag and it then takes you 3 days more to get your core temperature back up to normal. What was I thinking? oh thats right ADVENTURE LOL)

I don't think this article gave many options but does raise issues and as @SallyCat points out -- anything moisture wicking would be greatly appreciated......

Other Suggestions?

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a few undies from under armour that I like for skiing. It has to be something moisture wicking and comfortable, but I'm not one who looks for their unders to give any added warmth. I also like to avoid panty lines because I usually end up driving in my base layers and about an hour and a half of my travel to anrd from the hill us spent on the ferry from Connecticut to Long Island, surrounded by the general public. I also wear the same undies to the gym though, and they maintain a place in my regular day to day wardrobe.

As for sports bras, I've been blessed with the best boobs for skiing. No boobs! I buy the super cheap danskin sports bras that come in 2 packs at Walmart. I think they're supposed to be for low to medium impact. Since they're not very supportive, they're almost easy to take off when you're sweaty. I layer a Nike compression shirt from the boys department over that, stick a helmet on my head, and really could pass for a boy in the 7th grade.

MissySki

Angel Diva
As for sports bras, I've been blessed with the best boobs for skiing. No boobs! I buy the super cheap danskin sports bras that come in 2 packs at Walmart. I think they're supposed to be for low to medium impact. Since they're not very supportive, they're almost easy to take off when you're sweaty. I layer a Nike compression shirt from the boys department over that, stick a helmet on my head, and really could pass for a boy in the 7th grade.

Right on, same here! Haha My favorite base layer has a built in shelf bra, it’s the best to not have to wear anything under it! I wish more base layers came that way. In other tops the sports bra is for more coverage than anything, I don’t need the support when skiing.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right on, same here! Haha My favorite base layer has a built in shelf bra, it’s the best to not have to wear anything under it!

What a novel idea! For whatever reason, I always find the Sleeves on women's shirts to be way too tight. It's not even like I have giant guns, I really hardly ever work my upper body. So boys clothes it is for now!

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a novel idea! For whatever reason, I always find the Sleeves on women's shirts to be way too tight. It's not even like I have giant guns, I really hardly ever work my upper body. So boys clothes it is for now!
I hate that the arm holes on womens shirts are so small....
Anyways I just wear regular underwear and a sports bra. Didnt know there was such a thing as skiing underwear

Jenny

Angel Diva
Count me in the regular underwear and sports bra category. I've got the other layers for warmth.

Finally found sports bras that fasten like regular ones. Usually for my small size they're the pull on/off type and I hate that. Now I need to petition Jockey to make them in some plain colors and I'd wear them for everyday, too.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hate that the arm holes on womens shirts are so small....
Anyways I just wear regular underwear and a sports bra. Didnt know there was such a thing as skiing underwear

I have the opposite issue being so petite. For sleeveless shirts I almost always have to make sure I'm getting petites or juniors b/c otherwise the armhole is WAY too big for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly