• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The 2009 Triathlon Motivation Thread

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay, I've signed up for my races, so here is my plan (through early August anyway).

April 26th - Cherrry Creek Sneak - 5-mi
May 25th - Bolder Boulder 10k
June 28th - Danskin Sprint Tri
August 2nd - Tri For the Cure Sprint Tri

I'm kind of considering the Denver Half Marathon in October. It looks like such a cool course, but I think I'm too scared to commit yet. Does anyone have any intel on how quickly it fills up?

Anyway, running is going well so far. Haven't been on my bike or in the pool yet, so I guess I'd better start to get serious now that we are 12-weeks out from the first tri on my list.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Shannon, I'll see you at both the Bolder Boulder and the DanskinSheRox!

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have not done anything for 2 weeks, thanks to twisting my knee badly. :( Need to get motivated again, but I have a couple papers hanging over my head right now and it looks like I have to quit the gym to save money. I'll get there though, right? I'll have about 6 weeks to open water swim before the tri. I'm going to try to get the bike trailer from my father-in-law so I can ride with the kids a couple times a week. Add in mountain biking once a week and running a few times, and I should be okay, right?

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I'm back in NYC and ready to get going with some traning after a few busy weeks.

I'm trying to be realistic about this. I know I'm in good shape, so no need to go nuts with traning, and I know my schedule, so I want to aim for something that I can actually stick to, rather than being super-ambitious and running myself ragged. So, I'm thinking:
- 1 evening/week - swimming
- 1 evening/week - jogging
- weekend - 1 long bike ride, or a bike/run combo (I do this anyways, except without the running)

Does that sound reasonable? I feel pretty good about that schedule.

Funnily enough, it turns out that 2 women on my softball team also do triathlons, so it'll be nice to have more people to talk to who have actually done this before.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Rachel, do you feel like one or two events are your week spots? If so I would try to up the frequency of your workouts in that/those disciplines but you can only do what you can do.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Rachel, do you feel like one or two events are your week spots? If so I would try to up the frequency of your workouts in that/those disciplines but you can only do what you can do.

Huh, so you're saying you don't think that's enough? :smile: Running is definitely my weak spot, mostly just because I haven't done it in so long. I guess I'll see how I'm feeling with each after a few weeks and take it from there.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Uh, yeah, sorry, that's what I'm saying. But, at the same time, if you're doing so much that it's not fun anymore then that's not good either. :smile:

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Rachel, if running is your weak spot, I would really try to get two or three runs a week in. Especially since it's olympic distance. I think you can do just fine with swimming and biking once a week, but you should really try to get an extra run or two in. Just my .02. You have plenty of time to work the distance up, so maybe start with a couch to 5k program for the run?

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I went for my first "run" last night, and it went ok. Definitely encouraging -- I feel good about getting up to doing a 10k in a non-embarrassing time within the next 12ish weeks. I did a 5k last night, but I did 1/2 mile running, then 1/4 mile at a fast walk, etc, and then I ran the last mile or so. I'm mostly concerned with overdoing it -- I used to have issues with shin splints in high school (the last time I ran - HA) if I started the season too enthusiastically. I felt pretty good, though, and my legs feel fine today.

So I think my plan is to keep doing run/walk combos like that, in the vein of the couch to 5k plan, until I can do a 5k comfortably, then start upping the distance. If I can do 9-10 minute miles through the whole 10k I will be absolutely thrilled with myself. I've never been much of a distance runner. I am going to try to get at least 2 runs a week in. FINE. :smile:

As kind of a funny side note, I was running along the East River, and I kept looking down at the murky stinky water and thinking, "I absolutely cannot believe that I signed up to swim in that." :smile: Hopefully this will build some character or something. ;)

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am going to try to get at least 2 runs a week in. FINE. :smile:
:laugh: You really shoulda used the tongue sticking out smiley there!

RachelV said:
As kind of a funny side note, I was running along the East River, and I kept looking down at the murky stinky water and thinking, "I absolutely cannot believe that I signed up to swim in that." :smile: Hopefully this will build some character or something. ;)
You're not kidding. That was seriously one of the deterring factors (well, besides the $$$$) in deciding NOT to try to do NYC as my first Oly! Eww...I get really squicked out at the thought of swimming in nasty water. I much prefer pools to any body of water where there may be nastiness I might have to touch at some point.

As for me, I need to get my butt in gear and get signed up for races before the divorce is official so I can get STBX to pay for the registration fees. :wink: This is the week I get back on the bike, and next week I MUST get in the pool. It's about 6 weeks until my first tri, so no time for dilly-dallying! At least my run mileage is solid at this point, so I just need to maintain that.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm about 90% sure I'm going to do the Highlands Ranch tune-up sprint tri on June 6. I did it last year, and it was a lot of fun. Also most likely Danskin, Boulder Peak (already registered), and Rattlesnake. Jury's still out on Harvest Moon, I need to figure out the whole knee situation.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Shannon and Robyn (and any other interested Colorado divas!)...I got an email with a code for $10 off registration for Danskin if you're interested, good until May 8. Let me know and I can email it to you.

Also, Shannon, I missed your earlier post somehow about the Denver half. I don't think you're going to have any problems with it filling up. I don't recall hearing that it's sold out, and even so, I can't see it doing so more than a few weeks ahead of time. I'm actually contemplating the full if (and only if) I can't get my knee together enough on the bike to do Harvest Moon. Heck, I may do the half even if I DO Harvest Moon. I'm a little crazy like that. :becky:

And it was so good to see you (and your adorable DD) on Sunday at the Cherry Cricket!!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also, I'm officially signed up for the Highlands Ranch tune-up and Rattlesnake. Will probably register for Danskin this week. Hope to get a good long bike ride or two in before we leave for Hilton Head in two weeks so I can decide if Harvest Moon is feasible or not.

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm already registered too, but thanks.

We decided to do the Denver Marathon Relay. DH, BFF Cole and yet to be determined 4th are going to be a team. We are pretty pumped about it. I think I will make a half my goal for next year.

I'm glad we ran into each other at the Cricket too. Your son is SO well behaved. I feel like DD is a heathen in comparison. :smile:

outdoor divas

Certified Ski Diva
Sweet~ I am so glad to see posts about Tri's!!! This summer I am doing the 5430 sprint in Boulder and the Tribabes Sprint in Longmont. Lasy year the Boulder stroke and strides were a HUGE help with open water. Thursday nights, check it out!
Best of luck,
swim, bike and run like a girl!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did the Tribabes sprint last year, and liked it a lot, although the run was signficantly short. For the first year of the race, I thought it was run very well. The bike course was fun and FAST. I would have liked to do it again this year, but they moved the date up and now it's the weekend after Rattlesnake, which I was kind of locked into since I had 40% off entry due to last year's mid-race cancellation.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tomorrow is my first tri of the season, the Highlands Ranch Tune-Up sprint. I'm surprisingly nervous, probably because it's been eight months since I did one of these! And also because I'm borrowing my friend's very very expensive bike. Please don't let me crash it!

I'm not really going in with any concrete goals other than have fun and do the best I can. I don't think I can beat last year's time, although I guess it's possible if I fly on my friend's carbon frame :becky:. My run isn't quite back to that level yet, though. I got a pretty good start time (not too early, not too late).

Here we go...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna