• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Terrain Park lessons?

lljc00

Certified Ski Diva
I think my daughter (10 years old) is ready, and would probably like, learning to do jumps and other stuff in the terrain parks. She ice skates and has really good balance. Do things like jumps or spins (at least very low level stuff) or skiing backwards get taught in ski lessons? Maybe a private lesson? Or is this something one is just on their own to learn?

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where are you located? Out west we have the Woodward center at Copper (they also have them at a few more places but the one at Copper is huge). Its basically a big indoor building with foam pit where they learn to spin and jump on dryland and then take it out to the slopes. But most resorts will offer either a group lesson focused on this, or you can hire a private lesson for the purpose.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Funny how this topic comes up. Last night was my first lesson in this type of skiing. I went with a private lesson package since there wasn't a group thing. They paired me up with a coach that they felt would fit me best. Since I am already able to hit jumps comfortably but never been on boxes or rails he started me out on this box and then had me working on Jumping from the flat ground just straight up.
Ive heard of the Copper place mentioned before and theres Windells week long summer camps at Ft Hood too.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
He had me taking absolute baby steps like holding my hand as I slid until I got the confidence to do it on my own at speed. I only fell twice the whole hour.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think my daughter (10 years old) is ready, and would probably like, learning to do jumps and other stuff in the terrain parks. She ice skates and has really good balance. Do things like jumps or spins (at least very low level stuff) or skiing backwards get taught in ski lessons? Maybe a private lesson? Or is this something one is just on their own to learn?
Not usually part of kid's ski school lessons for alpine (downhill). At a small mountain or one that is mostly locals like Brighton near SLC, kids who are social can learn from other kids. Especially if there is a smaller terrain park for beginners and a larger one for older kids and those who already have some skills. I would guess that skiing backwards might be taught as part of a season-long development program for a race team. At a small mountain like Massanutten, the "development team" is for younger kids, mostly tweens, who are intermediate skiers but have some interest in racing. One way for locals to get kids in regular group lessons where they make friends over the course of a season.

lljc00

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks ladies. We go to Tahoe to ski. Boreal has the Woodward thing, so I'll look into that. Watching other kids and mimicking them is something my younger son would definitely do, but not my daughter. I'll see if there's a reasonable private lesson for her. Maybe she'll just have to wait until her brother starts picking that up, and then she can follow him

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna