• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Terminology Question - Sidecountry

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Going out a resort gate and skiing out-of-bounds terrain adjacent to a ski area. Return may or may no be through the resort.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think you were at Whitefish, right? We have open boundaries here. Some of that terrain will actually still allow you to get back to the chair, even though it is not patrolled. The area skiers' right of Ridge Run, skier's left of Gray Wolf, skiers left for parts of Russ's Street, and all of One Grand Parade, are all examples of sidecountry. As would be hiking to the radio towers near the Summit or hiking up Hellroaring Peak.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Backcountry, sure, but what is "sidecountry" skiing??
The difference between "sidecountry" and going out a gate for in-bounds terrain is that side country is not patrolled. So need all the same knowledge and gear as going back country skiing. But to get to side country, can start by riding up a lift instead of having to hike.

@dloveski has talked about side country gates in BCC.

Have read about side country gates at JH. Snowbasin too I think.

Catherine's at Alta is an example of a gate that requires a little hiking but the terrain is in-bounds. Long Shot at Snowmass is another example of a short in-bounds hike.

Bridger has an unusual situation off the Ridge. Can take a lift up but still need an avalanche beacon to ski off the Ridge. There is also access based on a steep hike in the middle of the Ridge.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Huh, I've never seen a gate that was for inbounds patrolled area. The ones I've seen are always "at your own risk, be prepared" scenarios.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Huh, I've never seen a gate that was for inbounds patrolled area. The ones I've seen are always "at your own risk, be prepared" scenarios.
Alta has quite a few. That happens to be the ski resort I know the best. There are gates for hiking up Mt. Baldy and Devil's Castle, which is terrain mainly for expert powder hounds. As well as a gate for Ballroom, which starts with a section that is rated blue. Those gates are often closed for a few days after a powder storm so that Ski Patrol can do what they do for "avalanche mitigation." Alta Ski Patrol pioneered a lot of the techniques used by ski patrols at big mountains out west.

Reminds me . . . I noticed gates at Mt. Hood Meadows that lead to named trails that are clearly considered in-bounds. That terrain didn't have enough snow any more by time I was there last May.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gotcha. Thanx all. @sibhusky , I don't think I realized where we were skiing sometimes given the fog! lol. I had one day w/an instructor that was all off-piste, so I may have been in some of those areas. I know we were on One Grand Parade and we played in the basin a fair bit, but I believe that was inbounds (Gray's Golf Course, etc.). Thank you for arranging great snow conditions for us the whole week!! Whitefish is definitely a do-again. My new profile pic is from the trip.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"Backcountry" ultimately refers to being a particular distance from a road/development, where if something happened you and your traveling partners, you are your first (and potentially only) line of rescue. You could probably still get frontcountry aid in a reasonable amount of time if you were in the side/slackcountry. :smile:

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We even have sidecountry here in New England. The Dip off Timbuktu at Jay (can't get back to resort without your thumb or a spotted car), the Bruce trail off Stowe (lands you in the XC area) as well as Hellbrook and other areas, Smuggs has sidecountry, plus MRG, etc.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Fire break at Heavenly - no hiking to access and can access from top of Olympic chair. There is a gate with serious warnings about skiing at your own risk.
Not patrolled by Heavenly Ski Patrol. Very long way down and go at your own risk. BF and his son have done it twice. Says it's a bit tricky in places but I would have no problem. Hmm still a bit nervous to do it.
You will pay to be rescued (is my understanding) and not by the Ski Patrol.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Brackett Basin and Burnt Mountain at Sugarloaf are considered "sidecountry." It's patrolled, but it's a huge area. Would take awhile to get anyone to help, so they have a rule about going in as a group of 3. Not sure how well that's obeyed, though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna