• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tenderfoot Mtn. Bike Question

elemmac

Angel Diva
I would start out by talking to a local bike shop (or two...or three...), tell them your story, pretty much exactly what you put in your first post. What your background is with road biking, what you want to get out of this bike, where you want to take the bike and what your budget is. They will give you some suggestions based on what they carry in stock, which is why I'd say to go to two different shops, just to get a feel of what brands there are available in your area.

For your first MTB bike, I wouldn't be super worried about demoing...but DEFINITELY try bikes at the shop. Just like buying a car, you wouldn't do it without taking a test drive. They'll generally let you take it for a spin around their parking lot, up the road, or in other designated areas. This will give you a feel for how the bike fits, and you'll be able to feel the differences between bikes and brands. Try going a bit faster, slower, tight turns, long turns, etc. really get a feel for how the bike is going to handle.

In my opinion, starting out with a fairly basic hardtail for your first mountain bike is a good way start out. You don't have to think about locking out suspension on your climbs, you don't have to think about when to drop your seat post...you just focus on riding, staying on your bike, and learning about things that you like/don't like. After you start to get a feel of the terrain you like and want to ride more of, then consider upgrading components or selling the hardtail and buying a full suspension. Maybe you end up liking climbs, smooth trails and want to stay with a hardtail. Or you'll start to enjoy downhills more and want to move to a full suspension.

^This is how I started out, and actually sounds like @Albertan ski girl and @SallyCat started out in similar fashion.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW, I started out with a full suspension bike ... never regretted it for our trails. Aren't DC area trails pretty rooty?

However, on a "cheaper" bike, you make tradeoffs in suspension design etc. Used to be they said that for a sub-$1400 bike, you should go hardtail and not get disc brakes. But that was a decade ago. @geargrrl thoughts on where that stands now? What features are reasonable on a moderately priced mountain bike, and which represent design tradeoffs?

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW, I started out with a full suspension bike ... never regretted it for our trails. Aren't DC area trails pretty rooty?

Yes. Rooty and rocky, but especially rooty. Sounds like a 1960's kids' cartoon.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes. Rooty and rocky, but especially rooty. Sounds like a 1960's kids' cartoon.

People will tell you that a hardtail will teach you better handling skills, and they're not wrong, I'm sure. But much like all the arguing about whether skis these days are enabling skiers to do things "too easily" - well, you can guess where I'm going with this one.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
HOWEVER hardtails will always be more efficient than full suspension, even with suspension lockouts. Especially at budget price points. Every couple of years a manufacturer introduces a full suspension design that "eliminates" pedal bob. It's a lie.

altagirl

Staff member
Honestly, I'd recommend full suspension as a first bike if you're planning to ride rocky/rooty terrain BUT - not at that price point. I think unless you're looking to spend at least $2000-$2500, I'd go with a decent hardtail. Low-end full suspension bikes weigh a TON and are inefficient to pedal. Keep in mind that you'll have to learn to absorb the terrain undulations with your body, but that's a GREAT skill to have. It just takes some effort.

Also - when on a budget, I'd also recommend finding your local Giant dealer. They have a similar product catalog to Specialized or Trek, but noticeably less expensive for similar component builds. I'm a big fan of Trek, but when I bought my last mountain bike I went with a Giant Anthem SX because the price point was too hard to pass up.

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also - when on a budget, I'd also recommend finding your local Giant dealer. They have a similar product catalog to Specialized or Trek, but noticeably less expensive for similar component builds.

ooooh, good thought @altagirl ! One of my best buds has an "in" with Giant. They sponsor a lot of her charity rides and she's always getting free bikes from them.

altagirl

Staff member
I'd look to see if you can find an end of season special or previous year model of this to try: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/fathom.1/26039/92805/

It's nice that they have the single front chainring drivetrains on bikes down to this price point now. When I bought my last bike, the cheapest model it came on was over $4000 retail... I think it makes things MUCH nicer to not have to worry about a front derailleur - both in terms of one less thing to think about and one less thing to keep adjusted and tuned.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Holy cow, y'all: I just demoed a Specialized Stumpjumper Fattie ("27.5 plus" tires, so 3-inch tires). I was very skeptical of the big tires, but had heard positive things about the bike, and the local shop had a demo in my size so I took it for a day. WOW, that thing is amazing! Climbs like a beast, grips the ground incredibly well, cushions fantastically but without being saggy, and is unbelievably nimble. In all respects, it performs like a normal trail bike, just better. Granted, the shop had put carbon rims and tubeless tires on it, which shaved weight, but at 30 pounds, it was a piece of cake to throw around, catch air, bunny hop, and load on the lift (it was an aluminum frame, btw).

For a middle-aged woman starting biking in rock-plagued Pennsylvania, this bike is a confidence-inspiring dream. Seriously, I think I'm in love. I've been demoing all summer and have never had so much fun on a bike! If you're in the market, I recommend giving it a try if nothing else just for the sheer fun of it. There is a women's version called the Rhyme, which also comes with plus tires.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly