• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

tell me stories about learning to ski bumps

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm learning g r a d u a l l y. I spent all day yesterday on the few bumps available. I channeled my lessons from last year - the key for me is looking to the next bump. I mean literally turning my head in the direction I want to go next from the bump I'm on or fast approaching. Something about the head turn engages the rest of my body. I don't know how it works but it does.

One problem w/skiing bumps where there are a lot of snowboarders -- the bumps just set up differently. I think it makes the experience even more challenging. It makes me want to go to Alta or Deer Valley and just do a week of bumps w/o having to worry about quirky spacing and odd/uneven shapes.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm learning g r a d u a l l y. I spent all day yesterday on the few bumps available. I channeled my lessons from last year - the key for me is looking to the next bump. I mean literally turning my head in the direction I want to go next from the bump I'm on or fast approaching. Something about the head turn engages the rest of my body. I don't know how it works but it does.

One problem w/skiing bumps where there are a lot of snowboarders -- the bumps just set up differently. I think it makes the experience even more challenging. It makes me want to go to Alta or Deer Valley and just do a week of bumps w/o having to worry about quirky spacing and odd/uneven shapes.

You could also try Mad River Glen in Vermont, no snowboarders allowed there either and they run bump clinics multiple days per week. I haven't been yet, but thinking about doing a bump clinic there this season sometime.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Even though there are a few snowboarders at Taos, I don't think it has that much of an impact on the bump shape. At least not on some of the black terrain. Of the places I've been out west in recent years, found it easiest to practice bumps at TSV because they are everywhere when the snow is deep. Ranging from easy to "looks impossible."

While Alta has plenty of ungroomed terrain, not really that many places that I consider a "bump run." I practice bumps the most on Lower Rustler when finishing up a run on the Collins side during my late season trips.

You could also try Mad River Glen in Vermont, no snowboarders allowed there either and they run bump clinics multiple days per week. I haven't been yet, but thinking about doing a bump clinic there this season sometime.
Keep in mind that the trails at MRG are classic New England trails, which means they are mostly pretty narrow.

Good place for a clinic though. Just not sure I would plan a trip that involves driving more than a couple hours to practice bumps without an instructor.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Love love love the bit about using a flat ski! :smile::smile: As @Ursula would say : "In the bumps, GET OFF YOUR FLIPPIN' EDGES!!!"
(Only she doesn't always use the word "flippin" :wink: ).

This from a woman who skied bumps in World Cup competition - so I tend to take her advice . . . . :thumbsup:
Post #45 from 2016. For people who don't know, Ursula is one of the best instructors in the U.S. She and @Skisailor teach at Big Sky.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Even though there are a few snowboarders at Taos, I don't think it has that much of an impact on the bump shape. At least not on some of the black terrain. Of the places I've been out west in recent years, found it easiest to practice bumps at TSV because they are everywhere when the snow is deep. Ranging from easy to "looks impossible."

While Alta has plenty of ungroomed terrain, not really that many places that I consider a "bump run." I practice bumps the most on Lower Rustler when finishing up a run on the Collins side during my late season trips.

Keep in mind that the trails at MRG are classic New England trails, which means they are mostly pretty narrow.

Good place for a clinic though. Just not sure I would plan a trip that involves driving more than a couple hours to practice bumps without an instructor.

Oh I agree, I'd be going for the clinic personally.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

@MissySki , I was just at their website and it looks really reasonable. Let me know if or when you decide to do it. I may just join you!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna