• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Tell me everything I need to know about becoming a ski instructor!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been interested in maybe signing up for one of the clinics because I've heard it is a good way to iron out your technique, even if you don't want to teach. But in looking at their website, I got a bit lost. Generally, how do they work, and how do you sign up?

where are you located? I"m in the North East, I'd call the PSIA local office of the Division you would be in they are very helpful. YES the classes are great!

novium

Certified Ski Diva
where are you located? I"m in the North East, I'd call the PSIA local office of the Division you would be in they are very helpful. YES the classes are great!
I'm on the west coast, but it's good to know that if I call I can just throw myself on the mercy of whoever answers the phone!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@novium,
You may have to become a PSIA member to take the PSIA classes. Call the ski school at the closest mountain near you before the mountain closes down and ask for the ski school director or training director. Ask if they have an instructor training course you can take in this upcoming fall/winter. That's a great way to start seeing how the training works. Some ski schools train new instructors on the job for free, others offer a course potential instructors pay to take. That's what I'm suggesting for you.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
By the way, I'm in Montana skiing in a week-long PSIA event. I've skied with Mermer Blakeslee (who wrote Into The Yikes Zone!) and Deb Armstrong (gold medal at the Olympics) so far. Robin Barnes (ski school director in Portillo) is my leader for today. PSIA rocks!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
By the way, I'm in Montana skiing in a week-long PSIA event. I've skied with Mermer Blakeslee (who wrote Into The Yikes Zone!) and Deb Armstrong (gold medal at the Olympics) so far. Robin Barnes (ski school director in Portillo) is my leader for today. PSIA rocks!

OMIGOD, amazing line up!

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Picking up on this thread again- I took the plunge and became an instructor this season! It’s been good so far though I did get assigned lots of little kids last weekend. It was fun but boy am I sore! Two poles up for fellow diva Brooke who let me shadow her lesson and was an awesome example to learn from!

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone have a good resource for the “bag of tricks” you need to teach really little kids? Like the kind that don’t even know their left from their right yet? :smile:

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Jilly! Do you mean online? I’m starting midseason so it seems I’ve missed most of the formal preseason programs

Jilly

Staff member
Our CSIA courses are offered season long. I know I just had an e-blast about courses/seminar. I don't know what the PSIA offers.

In Canada you can't teach without a certification level. Teaching kids is part of the L1 cert.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Aha got it. Camelback is really short on instructors this year so a bunch of folks are joining midseason. We have access to the clinics and have been asked to shadow 4 lessons before being assigned our own.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Captain Zembo is out of print. Maybe someone in your ski school has a copy that you could borrow.

Also there's the PSIA Children's Alpine Teaching Manual, a small-format spiral-bound book that's quite comprehensive. You can purchase that from the PSIA website, under "education."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly