• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Telemark Tips?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@TeleChica @SkiGAP @altagirl

So, DH got me a pair of She's Piste skis with Rottefella Chili bindings and I picked up Garmont Syner-G boots for Christmas.

Do any of you tele experts have any tips for an advanced to expert alpiner going to tele gear for the first time????

geargrrl

Angel Diva
The alpine tendency is to keep all the weight on the front foot and drag the back foot by the toe when dropping into a turn....the classic "fake-a-mark".
Really thing about weighting BOTH of your feet and lowering into the the turn.
Pressure big toe on forward (outside) foot and little toe (inside) foot.
Stable upper body sqaured to the slope; is really important, not swinging your arms
Also for upper body, while staying squared to the hill you need to drive with the outside hand while initiating the turn. This was a key point for me while learning, helped immensely to create the turn.
Work on the transition between turns - the tendency is to stay standing up too much when linking turns.
Last thought, keep your knees and thighs close together. Beginners have a tendency to a wide stance called the poodle gap. :smile:

Knee to the ski is not how it's done for the most part now. The cool park guys do it, and the old school three pinners, but not regular folks.

Your poles need to be a bit shorter. Regular alpine length poles won't allow you to lower yourself into the turn very well

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
GG has made many excellent suggestions, and I will add a couple.

First and most important: Take a lesson. It will GREATLY reduce the learning curve and get you started down the right path right away. As an instructor I've had a number of students who had all kinds of weird habits from trying to learn on their own--including doing it backward!

Re this: "last thought, keep your knees and thighs close together. Beginners have a tendency to a wide stance called the poodle gap. :smile:"

Actually, with alpiners, the tendency I notice is keeping your thighs TOO close together. Nordic crossovers tend to poodle, not so much alpine crossovers. If you notice in my picture (not that it's perfect form, mind you) there is distance between my thighs--my rear knee is dropped back, not parallel with my front knee. Your knees should not be parallel. Your rear knee should be roughly a baseball width behind the front knee.

While cute, this girl is doing a typical stance from an alpine crossover
nine-year-old-girl-skiing-in-telemark-style-on-the-slopes-of-saas-b69ph5.jpg

Her knees are next to one another, and she's dropped her lower leg behind her and she's pressing on her toe. Her front leg is blocking, no bend in the ankle and her foot is actually in front of her knee. You CAN make your skis turn this way, but it's not quite a tele turn.

Here's a poodle (if a poodle can run between your legs, they are too spread out). Also notice that his front ankle is not bent at all--you need to bend both knees and ankles:
tele-close-up-girl-groomer-OPT.jpg

This is a nice compact position-- front foot flat on the ski, ankle slightly bent, weight distributed between the skis (although you absolutely do not need to ski this low). I used this image because you can clearly see his nice leg position (friend of mine, great skier).

11136138_10153313837026340_3850800596237319199_o.jpg

Close up of a woman skiing taller, nice form.
798210_10151491974856340_1900939730_o.jpg

Also, you need to put much more weight on your back leg than you think. And even when you think you've got enough weight back there, you don't. At least not at first. :smile:

Anyway, I geeked out here a bit on stance, so I don't know how helpful it will be, at least at first. One last thing? HAVE FUN!!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I had a moment there... before I read the text I thought you were posting a pic of yourself. Doesn't she have too long poles, also?

FWIW, I was trying to learn for years. It didn't really click until a few years ago. The points I listed were from a totally awesome lesson that I got for free, by chance, several years ago. I had the list on my phone for years and then it got eaten by the ether.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG, ladies!! Exactly the type of stuff I was hoping for! I've been practicing lunges keeping weight even on both feet with my stance just at hip width, and feet just a bit more than boot length apart. Does that sound about right?

What I'm seeing is back knee to front leg boot-top or so?

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
I concur that the back foot weight is never as much as you think it is - I do plenty of drills for that. For example - go down into a telemark stance - and while sliding forward slightly, lift your front foot briefly and set it back down. Then you can feel if you are stable during that moment when you are only on your rear foot.

I agree with taking lessons of course, though there really are so many different styles, so what one instructor says to do, another may say is totally wrong. I have taken lessons in the US, Canada, Germany, France, Austria, and Andorra - and never heard the same thing twice :-). Ok I exaggerate but sometimes it feels like that.

Oh, and, I actually really like a book I bought, it gave me plenty of drills to work on -Allen and Mike's Really Cool telemark Tips. Doing drills over and over really helped me...

I am certainly not a world expert and I am still learning myself, but I suppose we all are!

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Oh and yeah one of my challenges now is to keep my feet wide enough apart. fatter skis help do force that but yeah if you can work on that from the start I think it will help you later. So it sounds good.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, Allen and Mike's book is super fun, although I personally get more from lessons. You get immediate feedback you can't duplicate on paper. Yes, you'll hear different things from different instructors, but the basics of the turn should be pretty much the same. That said, there has been a change in the way the turn is taught because of the changes in equipment. If you get an instructor starting you in a wedge turn, run, don't walk to the next available tele instructor. You use the exact same edges as you do with alpine skiing--only one foot is dropped back and your weight distributed for and aft between skis.

Re: my pic, I meant my avatar. Sorry if that was unclear.

In terms of lunges, it is a great exercise. I might try stepping back in to a lunge, as that will reinforce the feeling of weighing your back foot. And yes, hip width and about boot top is good, although sometimes you'll go lower or higher depending on steepness and conditions. Also, you want about a boot length or slightly less between the heel of your leading ski and the toe of your back ski (see image #4). But again, it depends. In #3, Peter has more than a boot length, but he's MUCH lower, and his weight is still evenly distributed.

Also with tele, tipping your pelvis (aka push the bush) and keeping more of a C shape with your spine is pretty key. Note the different in pelvic tilt from #1-3. It actually helps your stance be more compact while weighing the back foot. This is more of a fine adjustment, and not a major issue. Many of us (like me) have a more upright posture, but when I do think about tipping my pelvis, it does help.

Anyway, enough for now. I'll be very interested in hearing how it goes for you!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you guys SO MUCH!! I'll definitely keep you updated on my progress.

marzNC

Angel Diva
No suggestions to add. Had a 2-hour lesson at Belleayre for my first experience on telemark skis. Wrote up my impressions in the TR. While I know exactly the progression we did, there is no way I can write it down. It definitely helped that I already knew my learning style (visual) and could understand the instructions from the instructor fairly quickly. I did a few runs a couple days later on the long greens at Wachusett. Wasn't worrying about much of a knee bend, but focused more on staying in some level of a lunge while tipping the inside ski onto the edge so that the turn would start properly. I think what I learned will ultimately improved my alpine skiing.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...e-in-ny-catskills-12-17-17.22281/#post-356168

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I WILL be taking a lesson this year, as my initial try last year resulted in lots of laying on the snow in a total snit....I never even got both skis on while remaining standing. I was mortified and oh-so frustrated. :laughter:

marzNC

Angel Diva
When looking around for videos of telemark racing, found this one from a few years ago about learning telemark technique.

cvana

Certified Ski Diva
Yeah, Allen and Mike's book is super fun, although I personally get more from lessons.

Love that book! Best tip: make a tinkle!
No, seriously, best tip from that book is to squeeze the orange between your hip and rib cage. Also (family favorite): SKI LIKE A GORILLA! This last advice adaptable to many situations. :smile:

Attachments

• squeeze.JPG
    squeeze.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna