• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tele binding advice

kja

Diva in Training
I've been reading the very awesome posts on this forum for awhile and finally registered because I'm hoping there are tele ski women on here who can give me some advice. I skied (groomers only) on classic voile 3 pin cable bindings and Scarpa T2 boots for about 5 years (2007-2013 ish) on a setup that I borrowed from someone. Between 2013 and this year I pretty much stopped downhill skiing due to moving and other committments. This year I started skiing again so I've been just using regular rental skis which is driving me crazy. I discovered during those 5 years I strongly prefer tele for no practical reason except it's really fun. So I'm starting to think about buying my own tele setup, but I have no idea what bindings to consider. I absolutely love Scarpa T2s and I am very happy in Scarpa TX Pros based on the few times I rented an NTN setup back in 2012-2013. So when it comes to bindings, I have fun on both NTN and more traditional bindings and have boot options for both that fit me very well. My biggest requirements are:

1) To protect my knees as much as possible

Ok I guess only that. I already have a partially torn ACL from another sport that I treat by keeping my knee as strong as I can which seems to work great. Does anyone have advice for the "safest" telemark binding out there? (I know that's not really a thing...) Or recommendations for lighter women (120lb)? I haven't yet done any tele backcountry so touring isn't much of a consideration. Thank you!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
caveat: I am a part time intermediate. But...DH has tele'd exclusively for over 40 years. My comments are from being his ski partner for 40 years.
- There was a knee injury study quite some years ago that had tele skiing way down on the list for knee injuries.
-I don't think "releasable" tele binding are all that releasable, cable style or NTN. He never releases, ever.
-NTN is EXPENSIVE. You will more with your forefoot and less with the ball of your foot based on the way the boot fastens into the binding.

In all honesty, I think the way you protect your knees is through conditioning. Have a year round, multidimensional fitness program that includes agility, weights, conditioning, balance, multi-plane movement, balance, pliometrics etc. I used to have all sorts of knee issues that were misdiagnosed as IT band syndrome, patella/femoral syndrome etc and all it took was strengthen ALL the large and small muscles in my knees. Traditional fitness programs that only address quads and hamstrings won't get your knees.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna