• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Technique question

fatoots

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been digesting the stickie posts in the gear section about ski construction, lengths and widths, and what they mean for terrain and ability. So here's my question::smile:

I'm skiing on a ski that has a very narrow waist, the K2 Burnin' Luvs. Based on its other characteristics I can see why it should be stable at speeds, however I don't find that at all. Speed freaks me out because I being to feel the skis chatter and I don't feel stable at all. Not to mention I slide down the hard pack.

What am I doing wrong? A friend said I am holding an edge too long and not coming out of the turn. Someone else said perhaps I am not getting completely on the edge. I could be both I suppose. Either way it's impeding my progress. Any tips to help correct this? Besides a lesson, which I plan on doing at some point.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'm going to give the equipment gurus some time to reply to this before I say much re technique. If you have time, do some site cruising, because I know the chatter issue has come up before - there is also considerable information about the BL's. At the moment, my arms and hands are too tired from snowblowing to hunt down threads, but they are here.

Holding an edge too long.....this is a characteristic of the ski and its sidecut, not necessarily your technique. I think you might be prime for a good Demo Day, if for no other reason than to "feel" other skis' characteristics.

Jilly

Staff member
Without seeing video is hard to say for sure what's going on. But some things to try. It could be not enough edge and pressure. Try doing 1/2 turns. Facing down the fall line, make a turn. Look back at your arc. Are there 2 tracks in the snow?? Is it one big "c" or "z" shaped. If you can see 2 railway tracks - edging is good. If not then either little or no edge. Also skis need pressure on them. Some is done by gravity and speed. Some you need to do yourself. So using that 1/2 turn, what happens when you cross the fall line and lower the lower body closer to the skis. Bend at the knees, not the waist. This added pressure can help with chatter at high speed.
Also all skis have a speed limit. All mountain skis will not like as much speed as a carver (front side) type.

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski length can make a difference, but so can the wrong boots as well as technique. What is your height, wieght and ski length?

If your boots are the wrong size (too big) it will prevent you from getting the propper presure onto the ski. I noticed the difference the first day on my new boots - so did those I was skiing with. It was one of those, "Oh, that's what every one was talking about" moments.

Dull or the wrong angle on your edges will make them slip on the hard pack. Sorry, can't tell you what the right angle might be, but I have noticed significant difference if my edges are good and sharp vs dull. I have heard that the Burnin Luv is supposed to be good on the hardpack and ice, so this does seem odd. Then again, technique may be a factor - I find my skis slipping a little if I try to over power the built in turning radius, to either turn sooner or later (mostly sooner on my skis). Just based on the specs, it looks like the Burning Luvs like lots of turns, but then again, I have never skied on anything below a 16mm radius.

I am sure some of the others here might be more helpful.

fatoots

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boots fit pretty well. Haven't had a complaint about them yet. I'm 5' 3" and weight about 120. I'm pretty sure the K2s are 153. I went that way because I figured I needed the ease in turning, but maybe my new ski should be a little closer to 160? There is so much that figures into all this.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
lots of snow

ft, this might be a good weekend to consider a demo - we were talking about this in another thread but I don't have time to hunt as my dinner is burning! :smile: Looks like River dodged the rain bullet (at least for now), and unless it pours there (unlikely), there's going to be significant crud. Why not give SR sports or J Frost a call and reserve up some wider-waist skis. Sorry for my senior moment here, I've forgotten if you were the one who was considering demo'ing a Dyna Legend (someone else just posted a + review on it, new model).

abc

Banned
Boots fit pretty well. Haven't had a complaint about them yet. I'm 5' 3" and weight about 120. I'm pretty sure the K2s are 153. I went that way because I figured I needed the ease in turning, but maybe my new ski should be a little closer to 160? There is so much that figures into all this.
It could be the wrong ski (for you).

I'm roughly your size and weight. And I simply found the Burning Luv (153) too stiff for me to flex comfortably. So when I demo-ed it, it felt, well, "planky"! :smile:

If you can't flex the skis fully, it's only normal to feel unstable.

That said, it doesn't rule out you DO have a technique issue. Because if you have very good technique, you can compensate for the stiffness of the ski. A good skier can ski just about any 2x4 with style and control. :wink:

In short, I think you may have a combination of both technical difficiency and too advanced skis?

fatoots

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It could be the wrong ski (for you).

I'm roughly your size and weight. And I simply found the Burning Luv (153) too stiff for me to flex comfortably. So when I demo-ed it, it felt, well, "planky"! :smile:

If you can't flex the skis fully, it's only normal to feel unstable.

That said, it doesn't rule out you DO have a technique issue. Because if you have very good technique, you can compensate for the stiffness of the ski. A good skier can ski just about any 2x4 with style and control. :wink:

In short, I think you may have a combination of both technical difficiency and too advanced skis?

Well that is what I was thinking, and mucked up my confidence by trying to push myself on the expert ski. And yes MSL, I was the one pondering the Dyna Legend. It's that, the Sugar Mama, or maybe the Vision Vapor. But then I read the radius for them, and it isn't much higher than my ski now. And the light weight may not like speed either, so I am so confused!

Jilly

Staff member
I see that SkiMave is back from out west or is online from out there. She's on the Sugar Mama's. I know that I ski fast and she was able to keep up with me. No mention about the skis chattering or rough.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A friend said I am holding an edge too long and not coming out of the turn. Someone else said perhaps I am not getting completely on the edge. I could be both I suppose.
It's very possible that you are edging your ski, but just too late in the turn. This allows the ski to begin skidding early in the turn, forcing you to try to hold onto whatever edge you do have to get the skis to bite and slow down. At that point, you'd have to hold the edge too long and it will probably skitter out from underneath you because you're pressuring an already skidding ski down the hill, rather than forward and into the next turn.

In addition, I believe SnowHot found that the BL has a distinct speed limit much like I found on the Lotta Luv (I found the Lotta quite scary at high speeds and I LOVE high speeds!) :fear: .

Time for analysis, lessons, and equipment demos!!!

lucine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've demoed the Burnin Luv's and like you, found them chattery at speed. My new skis are carvers - Volkl fuego and they don't chatter.
I am a strong heavy girl, and an instructor told me that I need skis to match my stronger style -perhaps the burners just want finess over strength?
Lessons will help.
Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna