• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TAOS

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will admit that everything I’d heard or read about this mountain was intimidating to me. Did I want to spend a week on beginner trails? At least that was where my first lament was rooted; thinking that a Black or Blue run here would be way beyond my ability.

My initial reservations about this trip were put to rest as I viewed the Taos Webcam for three weeks prior to leaving. Watching skiers approach the lift lines seemed like a decent way to appraise the visitors from afar. As long as there were some that were negotiating a pizza in a narrow corridor I knew I would be ok!

I’m an advanced intermediate like so many others. My fears were unfounded at first sight. This mountain welcomes all levels, offering beautiful runs, glades, chutes, and bowls.

The base area is currently undergoing a major facelift. Taos resort buildings are plain, well-kept, and functional. Rather low key. Which is part of its appeal. The development is like an elephant in the room at this point. If there are several large cranes on sight looming over the new hotel---steps away from the main lift---you know a shift in mission is occurring. A tribute to Ernie Blake given the name of the hotel, but also seems contradictory to his longstanding presence and vision for Taos Ski Valley.

Around the base area a visitor can find several restaurants, four ski shops, bars, and a few niche stores not commonly found in a base village. Accommodations are also available as close as 60 yards to the lift line, but they do not appear like condos at all. Units are incorporated into the retail buildings on upper floors. There is a maze of pathways and elevators that connect rooms and services on the inside that can’t be seen or assumed just by glancing at the buildings. I can vouch for this because I became totally lost inside between the lower level of Cottam’s Ski shop ( I think there are actually 2 or 3 Cottams represented here) attempting to find my way out in search of the little chocolate shop. I ended up inside a lovely condo floor where I peered into open doors with admiring curiosity. (I ‘ve been addicted to interiors since I was 5. Halloween always provided ample viewing through open doors!)

Our own rental unit was within walking distance to the base area too, but a little further up the road.

Being on site allows you to check out demo skis in the late afternoon for the next days use. Which I did, but that’s another thread. I will mention that the ski demos in Taos Ski Valley were surprisingly good. The shops carried wide range of lengths, brands, and models. I could have demoed all week without repeating!
Most of you probably know that Taos has a nationally recognized Ski School. Known for it’s high quality instruction. This too, was another reason I was going into this trip without genuine qualms. My intention was to get into lessons after a day or so on the mountain. What better way to learn the area, and perhaps conquer the trepidation I have with steep terrain?

Good fortune had me with the same instructor for three days. There were only 3 students at the most when I was there. (no crowds). I also had a private, not by default, but by this generous teacher who probably felt a little bad for me since I was more experienced than the others in the “group.”

I learned a lot. Things that are so basic to skiing, but never explained or acknowledged in previous lessons. I am so grateful for having had this opportunity.

Taos Ski Valley was a wonderful experience. Could be a nice place for a Diva West considering there isn’t any bad food anywhere, the terrain is awesome, not terribly difficult to get to, accommodations plentiful, and that Ernie Blake Ski School reputation. The mountain reminded me of Telluride. But the feeling of Taos is a refreshing, inspiring, and totally friendly experience.
I’m going back.
TAOS5.jpg TAOS5.jpg TAOS 4.jpg TAOS 1.jpg TAOS 3.jpg

Attachments

• TAOS 2.jpg
    TAOS 2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Nice TR. What differences stand out the most between Taos and Telluride? Both are getting higher on my list to explore in the near future. The Taos Ski Week is very appealing. Being able to sleep lower in Telluride and take a gondola up to the lifts sounds like fun.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Marz, You should--and could--- visit both on the same trip West. They are about 300 miles apart, so 6 to 7 hour drive at the most? I add, with a degree of regret, that New Mexico is not a beautiful drive by any means.

Telluride is a town. The mountain in Telluride is the location of a ski resort, golf club, a city within a city---Mountain Village---etc.

Taos Ski Valley is just that. A ski resort with a quaint base "village". The City of Taos is 35 minutes away. Taos Ski Valley is not comparable to Telluride , to me, other than the ski mountain itself. There are similar qualities pertaining to terrain and layout.

Telluride has a transit system that includes not only the gondola between the town and the mountain, but a very efficient shuttle bus system that runs constantly. The gondola is the way locals and visitors get to the resort without having need of a car. I rode up the gondola with several City employees who had business to do up on the mountain. Even a librarian on a mission to gather returned reading materials. The base area of Telluride is high-end, lovely buildings, fine dining, upscale ski shops, and of course pricey to consumers. The skiing is fabulous. Surrounding mountains breathtaking. But then again, Southwest Colorado has much to offer in that realm.

Downtown Telluride is jammed with very old historic homes that almost share common walls because they are so close together! Automobiles are parked where they can find spots and pretty much remain there, since parking is hard to find if you don't have your own driveway or car plot designated for your own vehicle. They are not a necessity in Telluride. And possibly discouraged. Just watch the dogs...they know all the best shortcuts.

Nightlife thrives in Telluride. Many restaurants to chose from; bars, music, galleries, boutiques, dispensaries, food stands, most of which stay open later to accommodate the evening tourist business.
Mountain Village also has many slopeside shops and restaurants. Again, the gondola is the main vehicle for transport to and from both towns, and it runs until midnight.

Taos Ski Valley does not offer the "nightlife" scene. However, the restaurants are open in the evenings where the guests staying in the many units on site can wine and dine. I did not have a single bad meal in Taos. Everything was quite good. It is a quieter atmosphere there. Seems more intimate overall. Once the skiers are gone for the day, the place becomes like a hamlet where you may or may not see anyone out until you enter a particular establishment. Peaceful.

Taos Snowsports weeks are popular. I did not arrive during the Snowsports week, but I know they are terrific and a great value!! There are about 80 ski instructors serving Taos. Not sure about Telluride. When I was in Telluride last year I took advantage of the Mountain Adventure lesson package which covers four hours of instruction each day for three days. This was a bargain.

I heartily recommend you ski both.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I heartily recommend you ski both.
Thanks for the comparison. Definitely have both on the bucket list, but sounds like Taos is a better fit for the type of ski trips I enjoy the most. My focus is on the skiing, and only spending a few hours out of the ski week exploring whatever is available in town. For the recent ski trip to Aspen, my crew stayed in a VRBO house in Carbondale that was an 45-60 min away from the skiing since the cost was substantially less than a comparable house in Snowmass or the town of Aspen. Only spent one evening in Aspen.

Plus with Taos on the Mountain Collective Pass, that's another reason it's higher on my list for the near future.

VAis4Lovers

Diva in Training
I did Taos's Ski Better week about 3 weeks ago. In one word it was AMAZING! Our instructor was great, the other participants were great, the mountain was great. The village was a little quieter than we expected but ended up having a great time despite that. Just keep in mind that 5pm is "Taos midnight".

Biggest downside to the whole trip was trying to return to the East Coast during that major snowstorm. Took 3 days to make it from Taos to DC.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I did Taos's Ski Better week about 3 weeks ago. In one word it was AMAZING! Our instructor was great, the other participants were great, the mountain was great. The village was a little quieter than we expected but ended up having a great time despite that. Just keep in mind that 5pm is "Taos midnight".

Biggest downside to the whole trip was trying to return to the East Coast during that major snowstorm. Took 3 days to make it from Taos to DC.
What ability level was your group? How many people?

I know travel delays are a pain but at least you had travel issues at the end of the trip, and not the beginning. There were folks who were delayed getting to CO last week because snow issues made it difficult for the flights to Denver and/or Aspen.

VAis4Lovers

Diva in Training
We had 5 people in our group. I was lucky in that everyone was very much on the same level and willing to push our collective comfort zone. The instructor even commented on how well we all meshed and how much we improved over the course of the week. There were some groups that were smaller and not many that were much larger. There had groups for all levels. From the never-ever on our trip up to really advanced. I would say mine was a solid advanced-intermediate. We skied pretty much everything on the mountain with the exception of some of the expert hike to stuff although we did get a little in. :smile: My biggest take away was getting comfortable in the bumps!

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Telluride is EXPENSIVE! That's one difference. We will have four weeks in Taos. Though Telluride might be a good place to mosey (see, I'm already practicing my western jargon) on over to, but my when I saw the prices my eyebrows shot up so high they flew right off my head. I'll bet it's an awesome place, but our family is too big for the price.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Plus with Taos on the Mountain Collective Pass, that's another reason it's higher on my list for the near future.
@badger : thanks to your suggestion to check out both Taos and Telluride, my ski buddies and I did that in 2017. Good thing given that Telluride opted to switch to being a partner on Epic instead of Ikon/MCP after that season. While I'm glad we went, not too likely to return any time soon. It isn't on my Top Five list, but maybe in the Top Ten for destination resorts out west. Definitely pricey lodging. Seems as if going with a ski club that stays in Mountain Village is a good option.

We got addicted to Taos Ski Weeks after the first experience though. :smile:

There are about 80 ski instructors serving Taos.
From what I've heard, there are more like 200 ski instructors at TSV. Of course that includes those instructors who mainly teach children. However some of those instructors who stick around and get mentored by senior instructors who are also trainers can move up to become Ski Week instructors eventually. One of my Ski Week instructors last winter took that path. I had a very good time with him and got good tips on how to make the best use of easier terrain to practice skills needed for steeper bump terrain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly