• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Taos ski week 2017

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
Ummmmm nope, don't think I am ever going anywhere near that!!! @pinto, you rock...I AM SOOOOO impressed!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Is the Mountain Collective pass (3 days at Taos + 3 days at 50% off) the best way to get 6 days of Taos lift tickets for ski week? That works out to about $550, which I guess is about the same as just buying 6 days of Taos window tickets. Any tips on deals for Taos would be much appreciated. :smile:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is the Mountain Collective pass (3 days at Taos + 3 days at 50% off) the best way to get 6 days of Taos lift tickets for ski week? That works out to about $550, which I guess is about the same as just buying 6 days of Taos window tickets. Any tips on deals for Taos would be much appreciated. :smile:

ABasin- and Copper-only passes both include three Taos days. This is not guaranteed for next season, of course, but it's been that way for a couple years.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I believe you can pick any mt in the collection for your 3rd day.. then 1/2 off for any additional days you ski.. I picked the ski area with the highest price (Aspen was this yr for my 3rd day) Taos was 98/day.. so I skied 4 days cost me $98 (2 free 2@1/2 price!)

I'm thinking like you Taos 6days (3 free) 3 at $147 (98x3=294 1/2 off equals 147) Not too bad.. $147 for 6 days skiing :-)

Yes is $546 w/price of pass but I subtracting all the places I ski :-) I definitely beat the pass this year!!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
ABasin- and Copper-only passes both include three Taos days. This is not guaranteed for next season, of course, but it's been that way for a couple years.

Awesome, you're right -- thanks for reminding me.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, I'm normally pretty daring..... but NEWP.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For someone who only wants to do a Taos Ski Week and doesn't want any sort of season pass that has Taos perks or the MCP, there is a Taos Card. My ski buddy JC found he would save a little even for only five days at Taos.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did Taos ski week again this year and loved it. I did with the same instructor as I did last year. It is possible to ask for the same instructor in ski week if you have done it previously. @nopoleskier did it with me and enjoyed it too from what she told me. Unfortunately due to very dry start of the season there was very little off-piste terrain open. I was there middle of February 2018. Some single black ungroomed terrain opened when TSV got fresh snow towards the end of the week, but still it wasn't much as compared to Feb 2017. Kachina peak was brown the first day we skied, it was so sad to see that. So I didn't ski Kachina and Al's this year either. I am going to TSV and doing ski week again in 2019! Crossing fingers for a lot of snow and Kachina and Al's being open! I think I am ready to ski it! :smile:

alison wong

Angel Diva
It is possible to ask for the same instructor in ski week if you have done it previously.

Are you sure? This was not what I heard from the instructors when I did the ski week in Jan. this year. At the line up, I overheard a conversation b/w two instructors, one told the another that: "We are not supposed to be doing that anymore. Students cannot request instructors, they would go with whomever they got assigned."

When I go back next season, I will make a request. Whether it will be granted or not, I guess I will see.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We were there in February after you, so yes they accommodated us to give us the same instructor as last year, it was a group of 3 though that wanted to be with a particular instructor so that probably helped. It's not guaranteed of course, but if you contact the instructor in advance it should be doable. I would say that the skiing level of students I was with this year wasn't very different than last. Peter (the instructor I took ski week with) likes to teach non-aggressive advanced skiers group and so that's what my group was more or less both years. So it could vary by instructor too. There were a few expert skiers in my group this year, but they were not interested in skiing expert terrain for variety of reasons, and all of he expert terrain was closed due to lack of snow.

Last edited:

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you sure? This was not what I heard from the instructors when I did the ski week in Jan. this year. At the line up, I overheard a conversation b/w two instructors, one told the another that: "We are not supposed to be doing that anymore. Students cannot request instructors, they would go with whomever they got assigned."

When I go back next season, I will make a request. Whether it will be granted or not, I guess I will see.

LOL. yes, they do try to assign you at the ski off.. Jean Mayer was telling (yelling) at me to go w/ Group 10- I said No, I'm with Peter.. he kept yelling, I kept disagreeing and went with Olesya and Peter. I didn't know it was "The" Jean Mayer!

I do think calling in advance and requesting and speaking a head of time with the instructor & ski school about who you like is important. Likewise if you Don't like your instructor or not fitting w/the group or teaching style you can request to move to another class.

I really enjoyed the classes and meeting people that have been doing the ski week for 20-30yrs!! Speaks volumes for the whole idea of "ski week"

alison wong

Angel Diva
I didn't know it was "The" Jean Mayer!

Yea, I heard he is quite a living legend at TSV. Now I know what he looks like and where he'd be at ski off, next season when I go back, I ought to "check him out". Specifically, I want to see how graciously he glides away (as you described) after the ski off.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yea, I heard he is quite a living legend at TSV. Now I know what he looks like and where he'd be at ski off, next season when I go back, I ought to "check him out". Specifically, I want to see how graciously he glides away (as you described) after the ski off.

He is a legend and well deserved, a great mentor still skiing and teaching in his 70's and yes he is a fabulous skier. Reminds me of how my Dad skied, he's another 10th Mt soldier. I see a certain elegance in their skiing even going warp speed that stands out on the Mt.

We went to dinner at his hotel, the St Bernard and "he" served us a fabulous dinner. He's been at Taos since the beginning, his hotel has been part of ski week offering 3 meals a room and ski week. It's pricey but 2 in our ski week group were staying there and and had been coming to ski week for over 30 years! Dinner was fabulous, I don't usually eat or like lamb, I like Jean Mayer's French version. It's well worth making a reservation. I found this photo of him on his hotel page: yeah, he loves skiing.

1526246592144.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
His restaurant has the smell of a typical french restaurant.
Can have lunch at the St. Bernard any day. A couple of women in my group are St. Bernard regulars. They sat with the group for the final day lunch. So we got to see what they were being served as hotel guests. All three meals are included when staying at the St. B.

In the early years, the lifts were closed for an hour at lunch time. So everyone could enjoy lunch, including the lifties. The history of Taos is fascinating. Luckily it's well documented in a coffee table book that is based on interviews with the founder Ernie Blake and many of the key people who helped make Taos a success. Jean Mayer and his brother and parents came from France and were key players.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm going to have to wait a year.....Think I'll be spending 2 + weeks in Europe in Jan-Feb 2019....... but the March Ladies Ski Week at Taos is awful tempting. Who's going?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna