• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Taos 2022-23, conditions and latest upgrades at TSV

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There seems to be a power problem on most lifts. They were slow the last two days, definitely not running at full speed. This does not distract from the amazing skiing at Taos. We did the hike over to hunziker bowl several times yesterday, and also took the lower access through the trees. The blown down powdery snow was awesome!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Kachina Peak opened on Sunday, 1/29, for hiking. Always opens for two days for hikers before the lift opens. That helps compact the snow after ski patrol has down their work to help avoid any unexpected slides. Can see plenty of tracks.

The instructors are expecting the Kachina lift to be open to the public soon.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There seems to be a power problem on most lifts. They were slow the last two days, definitely not running at full speed. This does not distract from the amazing skiing at Taos. We did the hike over to hunziker bowl several times yesterday, and also took the lower access through the trees. The blown down powdery snow was awesome!!
Wind gusts are another factor for running lifts slower than the max rate. It's been pretty windy on the front side the last couple days.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Wearing nobody's princess pants? Enjoy taos

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wearing nobody's princess pants? Enjoy taos
I wore mine the first few days. After it warmed up, I switched back to shell pants. Nobody's Princess pants are VERY warm, even with the thigh zips undone. Hard to keep them on at lunch indoors. Although when it's sunny and warm, we often gather outdoors for lunch.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Kachina lift opened at 10am today, Feb. 3. The reports I heard from people who went in the first hour was that the snow needed to be "skied in." Pretty wind blown so it would break off in chunks. Another description was "breakable crust."

The advice I got from one of the instructors with 40+ years of experience was to wait until after 11:30am tomorrow. The Saturday crowd will mean a lift line when it opens at 10:00.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well, the folks skiing at TSV this week won't be seeing much new snow. The most recent storm wen in a different direction.

OpenSnow Feb. 8
Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 5.46.28 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like Taos will benefit from the next storm system. That should make it easier to ski black terrain without having to worry about tree tops and small rocks. The system in the past week only dropped a few inches. Santa Fe was the big winner when it came to powder turns.

OpenSnow as of Feb. 11
Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 9.39.54 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
The snow depths at TSV will be a lot higher by the end of the week. :snow:

The good thing about the high altitude and all the trees at TSV is that once the snow settles and gets skied in off-piste, it's likely to stay part of the base for the rest of the season.

OpenSnow forecast on Feb. 13
Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 10.37.01 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Over a foot of new snow so far at TSV. This morning there is a bit of a lift line for Lift 1 that's visible on the webcam because the only lifts open are the frontside lifts: 1 and 8. That's not uncommon during a big snowstorm. Lift 2 goes to the top for the frontside, and is the only way to get over to the backside to ski off Lifts 4, 7, 7A. It's possible for Lifts 7/7A to be open when Lift 4 is closed. When there is low visibility due to clouds, fog, or a snowstorm, it would be pretty hard to get down the first section after unloading Lift 4. That's an open area with no trees nearby.

Pioneer and Rueggli chairlifts near the main base are meant mainly for beginners.

Most chairlifts on delayed status on Feb. 14
Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 12.50.08 PM.png

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Over a foot of new snow so far at TSV. This morning there is a bit of a lift line for Lift 1 that's visible on the webcam because the only lifts open are the frontside lifts: 1 and 8. That's not uncommon during a big snowstorm. Lift 2 goes to the top for the frontside, and is the only way to get over to the backside to ski off Lifts 4, 7, 7A. It's possible for Lifts 7/7A to be open when Lift 4 is closed. When there is low visibility due to clouds, fog, or a snowstorm, it would be pretty hard to get down the first section after unloading Lift 4. That's an open area with no trees nearby.

Pioneer and Rueggli chairlifts near the main base are meant mainly for beginners.

View attachment 20491
@marzNC, are you there to enjoy this bounty?

HeatherPR

Certified Ski Diva

View attachment 20491
Woot! Great refresh in time for the women's ski clinic in two weeks! I'll take what I can get! Lord knows the east needs a refresh too!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
@marzNC, are you there to enjoy this bounty?
No, but I am!
Lift 1 started up around 9:30, so not much of a delay. I skied with Dianna today, Stephanie's neighbor, who Sue and I met when we free-skied with Stephanie last wk. The powder was awesome, 12” deep, and we had a great time. No problem getting up the mtn — the roads were plowed and sanded by the time I drove up, around 8 AM. It was snowing all day, and pretty windy, but no lift holds were needed. They opened Lift 8 shortly after Lift 1, and then Lift 2 at about 10:30, but only for front-side skiing. Honeysuckle remained closed, at least until 1 PM, when we left. Deep powder skiing is tiring! Plus, we didn’t want to have trouble driving back down the road. Amazingly enough, when I got back to Taos, the roads were completely dry — you wouldn’t have known it ever snowed (only a dusting last night in town), while it was still snowing hard up on the mtn.
IMG_2497.jpeg
"Huge"powder day crowd waiting for Lift 1 to open.

The time I spent in private ski wks with Trey in powder the past 2 seasons, and the time at Alta and Wolf Creek, really paid off today. I was totally calm and not in the least bit scared skiing in that deep powder today, and Dianna and I had a great time skiing the new bumps that developed on Powderhorn and the improved bumps in White Feather Gully. Bambi bumps were totally covered by the new snow, so skiing them was interesting — sometimes you could feel one underneath the powder, but not always. Needless to say, soft bumps developed everywhere, so it was definitely a day to practice bump technique. And the fact that it was a weekday was also wonderful, as it still wasn’t crowded at all, even though we were all skiing the front side.
IMG_2498.jpeg
Snow at Whistle Stop.

Can't wait for Storm #2, tomorrow! :snow::ski2:

MissySki

Angel Diva
No, but I am!
Lift 1 started up around 9:30, so not much of a delay. I skied with Dianna today, Stephanie's neighbor, who Sue and I met when we free-skied with Stephanie last wk. The powder was awesome, 12” deep, and we had a great time. No problem getting up the mtn — the roads were plowed and sanded by the time I drove up, around 8 AM. It was snowing all day, and pretty windy, but no lift holds were needed. They opened Lift 8 shortly after Lift 1, and then Lift 2 at about 10:30, but only for front-side skiing. Honeysuckle remained closed, at least until 1 PM, when we left. Deep powder skiing is tiring! Plus, we didn’t want to have trouble driving back down the road. Amazingly enough, when I got back to Taos, the roads were completely dry — you wouldn’t have known it ever snowed (only a dusting last night in town), while it was still snowing hard up on the mtn.
View attachment 20493
"Huge"powder day crowd waiting for Lift 1 to open.

The time I spent in private ski wks with Trey in powder the past 2 seasons, and the time at Alta and Wolf Creek, really paid off today. I was totally calm and not in the least bit scared skiing in that deep powder today, and Dianna and I had a great time skiing the new bumps that developed on Powderhorn and the improved bumps in White Feather Gully. Bambi bumps were totally covered by the new snow, so skiing them was interesting — sometimes you could feel one underneath the powder, but not always. Needless to say, soft bumps developed everywhere, so it was definitely a day to practice bump technique. And the fact that it was a weekday was also wonderful, as it still wasn’t crowded at all, even though we were all skiing the front side.
View attachment 20494
Snow at Whistle Stop.

Can't wait for Storm #2, tomorrow! :snow::ski2:
Yay, sounds like a wonderful day!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly