• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Taos 2021-22, conditions and more

marzNC

Angel Diva
:brr: . . . frigid today at TSV. Mid-mountain depth up to about 70 inches. There are people who think 75 inches is the magic number for not having to use rock skis in the trees.

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 12.34.13 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
I had a very good ski week, learned quite a few things, got to ski groomers to work on technique before the snow came, then a few days of powder! I cannot ask for more! And I am happy to have met @Ski Sine Fine and @bsskier in person!!
Thanks for the updates and pics!

Always fun when Divas can get together in person. :grouphug:

marzNC

Angel Diva
There were snow showers today. But the total wasn't that much. Where there is deep snow left from last week, it's not fluffy anymore on trails. Apparently a lot of trees went down recently based on instructor comments today.

Today the Kachina lift ran. I think it was the first time this season. Was open for hiking first, as is the process now for opening up Kachina. Some instructors will went a few days before considering taking their group. Better if the snow settles a bit first apparently.

My rental car in the afternoon
Taos 06Feb2022 - 3.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Day tickets bought at least a few days in advance are running $90 for Mon-Thu and $135 for Fri-Sun. The week of March 14 is obviously Texas spring break so day tickets are $135 every day that week. Prices drop starting March 27 for the last week of the season. Closing day is April 3.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Taos locals must be happy this week. My ski buddy, Bill, is at Wolf Creek this week. He'd rather chase lift-served powder than hike the Ridge at TSV.

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 9.45.56 AM.png

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I know -- I had been thinking of taking a van trip to TSV this week, but with gas prices now...not happening! Bummer:cry:

marzNC

Angel Diva
The powder hounds at Taos who like to hike the Ridge must be happy this week. I think it's Texas spring break time, but not that many of those travelers do the hike. At least not multiple times a day.

It's going to stay pretty cold for at least 4-5 days, so the new snow will be good for a while.

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 8.51.03 AM.png

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I heard from a local that typically March is the best snow month for Taos. Thinking of that for next year.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I heard from a local that typically March is the best snow month for Taos. Thinking of that for next year.
It's good to keep in mind which week(s) the Texas school have vacations. There is a reason that there are black out dates for the limited season passes for TSV.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The advantage of skiing TSV in March is that the snowpack is more likely to be deep enough for the steeper terrain to have good coverage. The average snowpack in early Feb is often just enough to open Kachina Peak. By early March, much more likely to be enough for the double-black terrain that some people enjoy at Taos.

Taos is not the place to go for powder skiing, although there can be good storms every so often. What Taos is know for is bumps of all levels. That's because it usually doesn't snow that consistently and there are plenty of good skiers who like bumps, so that terrain gets skied more than enough for bumps to grow quickly after a storm passes through.

I've skied Taos in early Feb in recent years. Most of the time it's been good snow and the Kachina lift was open. But one season there was no black terrain open at all. A 9-inch storm midweek meant there were a few bump areas but not many. That said, I learned more than enough working on fundamentals on groomers to make a Ski Week for advanced skiers worthwhile.

I find OpenSnow a better source for snowpack history than OnTheSnow.

Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 12.38.37 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Taos is going to get another snowstorm. But powder chasers would be better off going to Wolf Creek, especially if not that interested in hiking for deep and untracked powder.

In the spring, also pays to check the high temp forecast. In comparison, Loveland is at higher elevation so stays colder longer as the daylight hours stretch later into the afternoon. Monarch is between Wolf Creek and Loveland and just about at the average for snowpack. Wolf Creek is ahead of their average. Taos is behind their average.

Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 11.33.49 AM.jpg

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I leave Taos after the first week of March. The 2nd and 3rd week is TX, OK, AZ Spring break. There is always one big storm in March, the locals call it St Patty’s storm, but the snow is usually wetter and heavier than earlier season. Still nice snow to those who are not used to dry fluffy powder, but it is icy/ slush to those of us who gets spoiled throughout the season. Best month to ski in Taos is Feb imo.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Quite a lot of sun at Taos today. Temp is 47 as of 1:30pm. But cooling down a lot for the rest of the Texas spring break week. Definitely spring skiing conditions until the snowstorm expected early next week.

Last year my friends and I were at Taos mid-March. The trip was planned quickly in mid-February after NM dropped pandemic travel restrictions. The issue we had for most of the week was being too cold since nothing was open indoors except restrooms. We didn't have to deal with any warm weather melting any snow even when it was sunny. Lucked out and caught a powder storm midweek.

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 3.22.31 PM.png

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I would never want to be there during the SW's Spring Break. Anyhow, next year I would like to add on a trip to Monarch and Wolf Creek before or after Taos. I hope to bring my husband's adult daughter along with us. She's an expert snowboarder and would love Taos.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly