• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Taos 2018-19, conditions and more

Gidget415

Certified Ski Diva
Very true. And, in the end, she was skiing Kachina again and was doing the 45 min hike before the new lift was in....

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC Forecast is only showing snow on Friday am, so by Saturday morning the roads should be clear. We have only driven to Bavarian once. I only remember that very steep climb right by the Phoenix grill off Chair 4. If any car slip while coming down, it will run straight into the picnic tables where everyone sits!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Met up with @Gidget415 for dinner tonight in the town of Taos. Said that the road is completely clear.

We ran into a little bit of snow coming thru the canyon that's just before getting to Taos. But didn't last long. Reminded me of Franconia Notch in NH.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just arrived in Taos, road was clear. Our parking space looked exactly like how we left it a few days ago so I wondered if it snowed here (El Prado) at all...

marzNC

Angel Diva
Absolutely great conditions today. Sunny, not too cold, not too warm, lots of soft snow from the recent storms.

The Taos regulars are a bit appalled at the lift lines. They aren't used to waiting more than 5 min. The merge lines for the new Lift 1 detachable quad are a bit confusing. Plus people are sure how fast to go to get in place for loading. Probably the busiest day ever since the new lift was installed. Plus Lift 4 didn't open until the afternoon, which meant people couldn't spread out as much.

Ski Week starts tomorrow for several Divas. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Interesting, TSV groomed out the bumps above the St. B. There was a fair amount of grass showing on the bottom section towards the end of last week. The bumps were pretty weird shapes.

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 2.18.04 PM.png

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I watched (on webcam) last week at least 5 skiers fell on those bumps within a 5 min frame. Having those weird bumps on 3 different sections diverted almost everyone to come down on the other side where Rubezahl ends. I think it is a hazard when it is crowded.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I watched (on webcam) last week at least 5 skiers fell on those bumps within a 5 min frame. Having those weird bumps on 3 different sections diverted almost everyone to come down on the other side where Rubezahl ends. I think it is a hazard when it is crowded.
Certainly a work in progress to figure out what makes the most sense given the new loading set up. I didn't realize the first couple days that it was possible to ski past the St. B. and under the lift to get to the end of the lift line barriers. Our instructor showed us mid-week the alternate approach that starts with getting off White Feather early, as if heading to the Children's learning area.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Somewhat different weather forecast compared to five days ago. Warmer, windier, a little less new snow this weekend. Could mean emptier slopes on Sunday if few locals bother to make the drive. As a traveler who decides about trips out west months in advance, I only look at weather forecasts to decide what clothing and accessories (like Boot Gloves) to bring. I know I'll have fun regardless of snow conditions. That's one advantage of getting to the stage of being able to enjoy less than stellar snow and/or visibility.

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 4.41.00 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's the forecast for this week. I'm at TSV as are other Divas and other people I know from another forum. Most are doing a Ski Week so we'll get to see where the instructors go in new snow. I left my Boot Gloves at home.

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 5.47.22 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
As is common, the forecast shifted in the last couple days. It was snowing a little last night during dinner time. I moved into the Columbine for the rest of the week so had dinner up in the village. The night before it was quite warm in town, where most of the snow on the ground had melted around where I was staying.

Going to be windy but there is a good chance for more several inches of snow the next 24-48 hours.:snow:

While coverage is pretty good, it will be nice to have more snow in the trees. Walkyries Glades are open this week. Hunziker Bowl is quite fun. The bumps clearly grew in the week that I was at home.

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 6.32.05 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Apparently Kachina Peak was open for hiking yesterday. Saw pics from a couple of the folks who did Ski Week last week who made it to the flag pile with a local.

The Kachina lift is running today, 2/10. First time since the fatal avalanche in January. There was a lot of bombing last week. Could see plenty of patrol initiated slides, as well as natural ones, in the last two weeks.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The women doing the Taos Women's Ski Week this week are in for a powder day for sure! When I was skiing last week after an official report of 5 inches, the snow was boot top on groomers and at least knee deep off-piste. Can't imagine how deep it could be if a foot falls tonight. Although @Gidget415 is a lot taller than I am. :smile:

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/report-taos-womens-ski-week-2019.23639/

OpenSnow prediction the morning of Thu, 2/14:
"We are still expecting a storm with a LOT of moisture to arrive, but the system will be delayed about 6-12 hours compared to previous expectations, so it looks like INSTEAD of the most snow hitting on Thursday, we’ll see the most snow hit on Thursday NIGHT and the best powder will be on FRIDAY MORNING.

The latest models show a good chance for 6-12 inches on Thursday night, and this is reasonable considering how much moisture is heading toward northern New Mexico."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Think it may be time for me to unsubscribe to the Taos snow alerts since I won't be heading back this season. Starting to understand why February is usually a good time to plan a trip to Taos. Even though the overall base depth is a little thin, TSV is having a good winter. The total for the last 24 hours, mostly overnight, was 9 inches. :snow:

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 7.41.13 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
They are BUSY today!!! Just as many people as MLK weekend, but on a Friday!!!!
It's the start of a holiday weekend AND a powder day. There are some schools that do half-day on Friday or even make the Pres. Day weekend a Fri-Mon long weekend for the kids. :smile:

Plus the entire backside is still closed. At least the status report as of 11:30am MT shows Lifts 4, 7, and 7A are closed.

If I were driving with young kids from Texas, I would've been thinking by Monday about taking them out of school to get a jump on planned long weekend ski trip. Did it often enough to catch good snow at our tiny home hill in northern VA (Massanutten).

There are a lot more people watching the webcams today. :ski:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna