• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Taking the plunge with new skis!

VASkier

Certified Ski Diva
Hi everyone, I’m new to Ski Diva so thanks in advance for your advice! I’ve done a lot of reading over the past few days, and there is valuable info here.

I’m going to buy a new pair of skis, and could use a gut-check. Here is my background info:

• 5’6”ish, 145ish, 40 yrs old
  • Currently do most skiing in PA, grew up and still do some skiing in NY, dying to go back out to UT, and have a trip planned in March!
  • Level is Advanced, but not Expert
  • Spend just as much time skiing greens/blues with my kids (6/8) as I do more challenging blues/blacks
  • For “adult –only” ski, I like to go fast/fun with a mix of turns – mostly short, some long, and I’m enjoying improving over bumps
  • Not really sure there is much off piste where I ski these days, but you East Coast skiers know about the different conditions we encounter
  • I don’t want to have to work hard ALL of the time, and especially need to be able to tone it down when with the kids (my 6 y.o. has autism and so will be in slowww learning mode for several years to come) OR when my legs are shot
  • Current boots (if this matters) – Tecnica Attiva V80 UItrafit (LOVE them)
  • Current skis (don’t laugh) – 12+yr old stainless Volant Vertex Powercarves (160+)

I had a smidge of time to demo skis last week, but did not get to try all that I wanted. Based on that experience, and lots of reading, I’ve narrowed down my choices to the following:

Rossignol Temptation 82 in 160
K2 SuperGlides in 160

I’ve read good things about the Temptations on SkiDiva and other sites, but not many reviews on the SuperGlides. I skied the SuperGlides and liked them a lot, I did not ski the Temptation 82s. I did demo the men’s Rossignol Pursuit HP Titanium TPX in a 163 and noted that it did not have a Down button. TONS of fun, but not for me. Wanted to try the Temptations but they were all out on the slopes.

Any feedback on these choices? Are the lengths right for my height/weight/type of skiing?

Sorry for such a long post! I most likely won’t have the opportunity to demo any more skis this year…

Jilly

Staff member
The Pursuit line is not the men's Temptation, the Experience is. There really isn't an ladies equal, so the Temptation might be the right one. I have the 88's in 162 and I'm only 5'4. So demo different lengths too. You might like the Attraxion line too. And to add to the mix - Nordica Belle to belle. I really liked this ski too when I demo'd it early this month. I was surprised because I didn't like the Cinnamon Girl.

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi and welcome!

SHOPPING!!!!

I wonder if you might have more fun (specially with the kids) on the K2 superstitious instead of the glide? It is an adv/exp ski with an 84mm waist and doesn't need to de constantly driven, still got titanium construction so by no means a noodle.
+1 on the Nordica B2B too.

VASkier

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks. I hadn't considered the Belle to Belle, but skis.com and other sites really seem to like them.

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the Superglide is new to the line, but is an advaced ski. My guess is that it's similar to my Superfrees, just a little fatter.
I think it could be a great choice. Given you're on the East coast you probably dont want to go to fat, so maybe even consider the Superfree. I also demoed the Temptation 82s and liked them a lot...
I have similar stats to you, so I think you're right on with the length of the K2s, might want to go a little longer w/ the Temptations as they do ski short. I demoed the 168 which was not too long for me.

I've posted this a bunch, but thought you might be interested in my review of the above skis:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/celestron-2000s-demo-day.13187/
I'd probably describe myself as a Level 7 skier these days, still loving the Superfrees. :love:

VASkier

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you thank you for these 2 new ides! My short list has now changed: Temptation 82s (maybe in a 168?), Nordica Belle to Belle in 162, or K2 SuperFree in 160. Tough choices! I really wish I could demo, but don't think that's in the cards for me.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi from a fellow Virginian (we're between Huntington and Kingstowne). Where do you like to ski in PA?

Fwiw I posted a similar question (although you're more advanced than I am) and folks suggested demoing, but the consensus seemed to be that it doesn't hurt to go for a more advanced ski you can grow into as long as you can keep good form and you're comfortable in them. I'll find it and bump it in case it's helpful.

Would you consider a used demo? If so, you might want to call and check out Baltimore Ski Warehouse (right near the BWI Airport). They had a handful of ladies demos when I was there a month or so ago, and some were intermediate to advanced and all in very good condition. They don't have as much used inventory for women as they do for men, but if you like a bargain it may not hurt to email or call and tell them what you're looking for and see what they have. The other benefit with them is if you buy used skis and they end up not being right for you, you can bring them back for a credit for a different ski (used or new).

Levelnine.com also has great deals now. I found the detailed nature of the reviews there helpful, along with seeing very detailed Q and A with other potential buyers on a specific ski. They also have a live chat option.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Based on that experience, and lots of reading, I’ve narrowed down my choices to the following:

Rossignol Temptation 82 in 160
K2 SuperGlides in 160

Any feedback on these choices? Are the lengths right for my height/weight/type of skiing?

Quite unexpectedly, I got to demo the Temptation 82 and SuperGlides today at Massanutten. A Charlottesville ski shop, Freestyle, is having a free demo tent here this weekend. Not only good selection of women's skis, they brought short ones! With temps in the 60's, it was spring skiing conditions. Way better than testing on ice though.

My stats: 5'0", 115 pounds, advanced, like Rossi, don't like Volkl. All mountain skis are Rossi Attraxion 8 at 154cm.

I tried the Temptation 82 in the 160 and the 152. The 152 kept going out. For me, 160 was too long. At 152, I like these skis! Just a bit wider than the Attraxion 8 (127-75-108) at something like 132-82-120. Easy to turn, no chatter at any speed.

The SuperGlides were okay. Better for me than the Scott Luna or Nordica Wild Belle for the conditions. But none of these would be worth it for me for mid-Atlantic skiing.

Hope that helps a little.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Lucky you, marzNC to find short skis to demo. I really really want to try the Temptation 82s, but they only had a super long pair at the one demo day I've been at this year. It comes in a 144 which would be fun to try, but might be too short with the rocker. Is 152 the next length up?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Lucky you, marzNC to find short skis to demo. I really really want to try the Temptation 82s, but they only had a super long pair at the one demo day I've been at this year. It comes in a 144 which would be fun to try, but might be too short with the rocker. Is 152 the next length up?
I was very surprised to have such a variety of short skis to choose from. The Temptation 82 comes in 144, 152, 160, 168. From what I know of your skiing, I would think the 144 would be too short. It's 70% camber, 30% rocker according to the Rossi webpage.

VASkier

Certified Ski Diva
Hi everyone. I had a chance to talk with a local ski shop - DC Ski Center - and they helped me refine my short list, including input from you all! They don't carry Nordica, and honestly I'm having a hard time finding a local place that does. But they do carry many of the other lines. Right now, I'm down to the K2 Super Frees, probably in a 160, and the Atomic D2 Cloud 73, I presume in 159? I am strongly leaning towards the K2 based on all of the reviews and my short demo of the SuperGlide (different ski, I know).

VA DEB....we are close!! I live off of Ft Hunt about 1/3 between Old Town and Mt Vernon. For the past few years, we've done a long weekend trip to 7 Springs (my husband's home mountain), plus days at Whitetail and Liberty whichnate both GREAT for the kids. We've also done day trips to Blue Knob, but those were in the days before kids and when I wore instruments of torture on my feet (thank GOODNESS for well-fitting boots!!!) so I have a bad association with that hill that I need to get rid of some day. How about you?

I contacted the shop at Hidden Valley (PA) and they have the K2 and Atomic available for demo, so if we make it out there as planned this weekend, I should be set to buy some new skis next week!!

Would love more input on either of these skis if anyone can share.

VASkier

Certified Ski Diva
Confession time - I broke down and bought the K2 Superfree's without doing another demo. I absolutely love them. We had a chance to ski at Hidden Valley (small mountain, not far from 7 Springs in Western PA) on Sunday, and although I did not get in enough runs to do a full demo report, I can say that with the conditions we found (ice and crud) they were fantastic. Skiing at my top speed, lots of short turns, it was heaven and I definitely felt like an expert. They only downside is that due to either the ski itself or the fresh coat of wax, it was a bit hard to stay slow when skiing with my youngest, but I can work with that. Sadly, both of my kids pooped out after just a few hours so my husband and I took turns lodge-sitting. If it is helpful to anyone else out there, I'll post another more thorough demo report after my next time out. Thanks again all for the input.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So glad you like the Superfrees...good for you!

And wow, we are practically neighbors (by DC area standards, anyway). Keep posting so you can get PMs and join the Divas Only section. :-)

VASkier

Certified Ski Diva
I have to say, this past weekend put them to the test, and I am even MORE in love with them. We were at 7 Springs Friday - Monday, not sure if anyone else was there? Talk about variable and rarely seen conditions! Friday was the typical soft, bordering on slushy snow that then turned slick and icy. Saturday was cold, with a continual dusting of snow on top of patches of ice, making it tricky to see what was coming up. Sunday was unbelivable! 7 inches of fresh powder in the mid-Atlantic? Huh? And yesterday a cold, fast, packed-powder surface (except in the trees). I skied fast with big turns, fast with little turns, slow with huge turns through ungroomed powder, moguls, glades, and of course slow and controlled with kids. My skis handled it all. I had a blast!

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
VASkier, this sounds like a weekend skiing in Indiana! You never know what you might find around the next turn from one moment to the next. Forget predicting it day by day. Not happening.
I rode up the lift with a man last week who said he liked 7 Springs, but hadn't been there for years.
It's great to read you made a ski purchase decision you are happy with .

finsterlee

Certified Ski Diva
VA DEB....we are close!! I live off of Ft Hunt about 1/3 between Old Town and Mt Vernon.

Hi there VASkier!

I went to Fort Hunt High School if you remember that! Small world we live in these days....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna