• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tahoe Trip (Heavenly/Kirkwood) Advice Please

misfitgirl

Angel Diva
I need your help - A friend has already booked a place to stay in Tahoe for March 11-16 so all I need to do is buy a plane ticket, lift tickets and maybe arrange for rentals. This will be my first time skiing out west and I am praying I get a chance to experience some powder - looks like so much fun! Just got back into skiing a couple years ago after a 35 year hiatus - experience so far limited to East Coast and a 3 week trip to Austria (bluebird skies with little fresh snow fall so did not get to learn how to ski powder while there *sad face*).

Definitely bringing my boots. I have Rossignol Experience 76 @ 162 and Liberty Genesis 90 @165 (with AT bindings); haven't decided whether to bring both/either. Love 'em both, but I am admittedly a gear slut and dreaming about the next set of skis. I would love to demo some Black Crows and powder skis while I am out there.

I plan to take a lesson or two. I'm no expert, but comfortable on the blues and some black and not unnerved by trying more advanced blacks (though it may not be pretty can usually find a way to get down a black as long as it isn't TGR-level insane; so far have not had to change undies after). In Austria, I was meeting friends at a restaurant which was a couple of towns away one afternoon and they neglected to tell me that the final run to get to the restaurant was the World Cup FIS slope. I made it without falling or freaking out. Of course, ten minutes later, I tripped myself up and fell over as I approached the restaurant on the flat.

My friend has epic pass and I am hoping they have the one with deals for friends/buddies, and I understand Heavenly will give you a half day ticket for free on the day you arrive if you show them your boarding pass. Any recommendations on a shop with decent demos at reasonable prices would be great, as well as any thoughts on how to approach these two resorts to keep building confidence and skills would be so much appreciated. And if there are any divas in the area (of any level), would love to meet up!

Thanks, ladies!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I need your help - A friend has already booked a place to stay in Tahoe for March 11-16 so all I need to do is buy a plane ticket, lift tickets and maybe arrange for rentals. This will be my first time skiing out west and I am praying I get a chance to experience some powder - looks like so much fun! Just got back into skiing a couple years ago after a 35 year hiatus - experience so far limited to East Coast and a 3 week trip to Austria (bluebird skies with little fresh snow fall so did not get to learn how to ski powder while there *sad face*).

Definitely bringing my boots. I have Rossignol Experience 76 @ 162 and Liberty Genesis 90 @165 (with AT bindings); haven't decided whether to bring both/either. Love 'em both, but I am admittedly a gear slut and dreaming about the next set of skis. I would love to demo some Black Crows and powder skis while I am out there.

I plan to take a lesson or two. I'm no expert, but comfortable on the blues and some black and not unnerved by trying more advanced blacks (though it may not be pretty can usually find a way to get down a black as long as it isn't TGR-level insane; so far have not had to change undies after). In Austria, I was meeting friends at a restaurant which was a couple of towns away one afternoon and they neglected to tell me that the final run to get to the restaurant was the World Cup FIS slope. I made it without falling or freaking out. Of course, ten minutes later, I tripped myself up and fell over as I approached the restaurant on the flat.

My friend has epic pass and I am hoping they have the one with deals for friends/buddies, and I understand Heavenly will give you a half day ticket for free on the day you arrive if you show them your boarding pass. Any recommendations on a shop with decent demos at reasonable prices would be great, as well as any thoughts on how to approach these two resorts to keep building confidence and skills would be so much appreciated. And if there are any divas in the area (of any level), would love to meet up!

Thanks, ladies!
Powder House has a demo shop right near the Heavenly gondola. Don't go to the one across from the gondola but the one near the corner - same side of street but has high performance demos and has Black Crows btw. It's called Boot and Demo Center. Address is 1001 Heavenly Village Way #15 - is actually on Highway 50. NOT reasonable prices though... Probably $80 at least to demo but they will have good choices. Try the Black Crows Camox Birdie ! I have those and they are a great ski for Tahoe. March can be a snowy month but keep in mind Sierra Cement is not light and dry.... I love skiing Heavenly and will be there from March 1 to March 8.
Re: austria - I skied there in 2011 and 2017.... Were you at Kitzbuhel by any chance? We skied most of the Hahenkamn while there except the huge icy moguls in one section......

newboots

Angel Diva
This trip sounds very exciting! I want to hear about it!

If budget is an issue, remember you can demo or rent powder skis, but recall where you usually ski. How often will you use those big fat skis? :wink: Just sayin'

See you soon at Sunday River!

mustski

Angel Diva
Bring your liberty skis. At 90 waist, they will work on most terrain and in all western conditions short of deep powder. You can rent powder skis if you need to. You can demo any day you want but save yourself some money on the other days. Have a blast! You will love the nice and easy edgability if western groomers!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Have skied a lot at both Heavenly and kirkwood. LMK what kind of skier you are and what you like to ski. I'll give you some insider tips where to go..

kiranbot

Certified Ski Diva
I've spent a ton of time at both Kirkwood, and love it! The backside is great for lonnng blues and some easier black diamond runs. The bowls off Cornice Express are delightful, too, but vary depending on snow conditions.

Kirkwood definitely has some ridiculous black diamond runs, too, if you're looking to work on those.

I'd be down to meet up and ski Kirkwood then!

The Liberty skis will be fine at 90 underfoot. My daily driver is the Black Pearl 88, and they're totally fine.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last year I drove up from San Diego to ski at Kirkwood and Heavenly with my EPIC pass. I'm not sure if I have any advice for you though. I brought my own skis. My favorite trail at Heaven was called Olympic - I lapped that thing many times and got my ski tracks to log a ridiculously fast speed there. Its a really amazing trail, wide, not too steep with a few turns. I was at Kirkwood midweek and it was empty, no one to even ride the lifts with. Its a bit of a drive from S Tahoe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly