• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tahoe Conditions | Heavenly

Sapphire

Diva in Training
Hello! Newbie here.

First off, I just want to say how much great information and insight there is on this forum. It’s the primary reason I decided to join!

I was curious if there were some people who have a familiarity with Heavenly?

I’m headed out next week. I’ve had this ski trip planned since late last year. It’ll be my second attempt to ski on the mountain. Unfortunately, when I went last spring - the wind was so bad, they closed the entire mountain my whole trip. So, I essentially did not get to ski on the mountain at all that week.

Now, I’m glancing at the forecast and getting a bit disheartened because the winds are looking a tad gusty at times.

Does anyone have some general idea of how high the gusts are before deciding to place the gondola on windhold and/or lifts? The wind in general next week seems to still be low, but I worry about the gusts, as I mentioned above.

Just looking to see if anyone on here may have some insights. Obviously, with this being several days away, the weather forecast can change between now and then. So who knows. In the end, Mother Nature will do her thing.

Thanks for reading!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Hi @Sapphire ,

I ski Heavenly every year and have been skiing Heavenly for decades. As a matter of fact, I just got back 2 weeks ago.

The gondola shuts down due to wind often. Lucky me, it never shut down once while I was there. When the gondola shuts down, you can take a shuttle to the CA side (and used to go to Stagecoach on NV as well). So there's always a way to get to the mountain.

I can't tell you at what point the gondola doesn't run, but I can tell you it will shut down when windy and so will the Tamarack chair as well as the Sky chair on the CA side. Heavenly is such a huge mountain that there's still plenty of terrain to sk. Yes it's a drag if you are staying near the Gondola and then have to drive or shuttle to the Cal Lodge or Stagecoach on NV side.

On the other hand, if you have Epic, Northstar almost never shuts down due to wind. It is very protected by all the trees plus the location of the mountain.

And welcome ! Where do you usually ski?

Sapphire

Diva in Training
Hi @santacruz skier !

Thanks for the kind response. I’ll be sure to keep your suggestions in mind.

I am staying close to the Gondola, but I would be totally fine taking the shuttle over to the Cali side, if needing to do so!

My ski experience is limited to holiday/family trips about 10+ years ago. So, I don’t have a mountain I would call home. Most frequented places I’ve had the pleasure to ski at would be Vail/Beaver Creek.

In truth, I will be refreshing/relearning how to ski. My ski level would be considered an intermediate skier, with bare minimum proficiency at parallel skiing. So given the absence of time, it’s back to basics. Haha!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Heavenly has great runs for you on the Nevada side.. Be sure to go to Comet and Dipper chairs as well as over to Olympic and Stagecoach. On the Cali side, Canyons, Powderbowl and Sky chairs have great runs for you! Ridge Run with the beautiful views is your friend!

not_a_cat

Diva in Training
Howdy!

I just spent the last few days skiing at Heavenly. As @santacruz skier said, the gondola shuts down pretty often, but even then, there’s still a ton of mountain left to ski on! If you get there and there’s a wind hold on the gondola, just shuttle on over to California. :D

Sapphire

Diva in Training
Heavenly has great runs for you on the Nevada side.. Be sure to go to Comet and Dipper chairs as well as over to Olympic and Stagecoach. On the Cali side, Canyons, Powderbowl and Sky chairs have great runs for you! Ridge Run with the beautiful views is your friend!
Great to know! Thank you for this bit of information. Super helpful. I was just looking at the trail map today and peeking at Ridge Run! Here’s to hoping I can get up there to see the view.

Sapphire

Diva in Training
Howdy!

I just spent the last few days skiing at Heavenly. As @santacruz skier said, the gondola shuts down pretty often, but even then, there’s still a ton of mountain left to ski on! If you get there and there’s a wind hold on the gondola, just shuttle on over to California. :D
Hi! Thanks so much for chiming in on this. Looks like the CA side is the way to go for now until those winds die down. Appreciate the info!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Planning on skiing Heavenly the week of March 19..... Tahoe is getting HAMMERED with snow. Most resorts were closed yesterday due to too much snow and travel conditions near impossible. Snowfall setting records this season. It just won't stop snowing....

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Just saw on the Northstar and Heavenly websites that resorts will be closed tomorrow due to anticipated significant storms and road closures. Now that I have never seen a day in advance. They simply can't dig out and no one can get there.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kirkwood and Sierra at Tahoe are both closed tomorrow as well, consistent with the State of Emergency in the area, making all the South Lake resorts closed.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Who’s up for Tahoe on the week of the 19th???? Got some good runs at Heavenly you would like ! And there’s tons of snow!

mustski

Angel Diva
We’ll still be around but probably sticking to Rose. Our O’side tenant bought a house and is moving out March 31 so we will have to work on the house to get rented by May1st. If it rents on time, we’ll be back out for May and June including some Mammoth time!

stupid tenants moving during ski season! Oh well, at least it’s a massive snow year! Slush bumps into July!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
We’ll still be around but probably sticking to Rose. Our O’side tenant bought a house and is moving out March 31 so we will have to work on the house to get rented by May1st. If it rents on time, we’ll be back out for May and June including some Mammoth time!

stupid tenants moving during ski season! Oh well, at least it’s a massive snow year! Slush bumps into July!
Lmk if you decide to come to Heavenly!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna