• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tahoe area beaches

Amie H

Angel Diva
Headed to Reno next week for a few days. I'm technically working remotely Th-Fr so I'll be stuck in hotel until about 10am. I will have a rental car by Thursday afternoon.

I have a packable chair and beach towel and wanted to try a day swimming/beach lounging at the lake. I'm aware most parking is full by early morning AND that the water can be chilly.

I'm trying to set an itinerary for myself but am not sure if I should:

Just plan to hike/walk/do Reno stuff Friday and get up early Saturday to head to Tahoe (probably Bliss state park? ) I can park free at Harvey's or Harrah's and walk to the beach that is $25 entry fee, but I'd rather try a new-to-me beach.
OR
Take a chance and head over to the lake Friday around lunchtime?

I have an early-ish dinner reservation Thursday so I probably will stay closer to town (maybe a hike, then pool at hotel)

I'm familiar with the region but have not been there in summer, so suggestions welcome.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Sand Harbor beach is a lovely beach. It's near Incline Village.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Here are some others:

Amie H

Angel Diva
Sand Harbor beach is a lovely beach. It's near Incline Village.

That would certainly be closest to my hotel. I'll have to get there right when it opens on Saturday.

Amie H

Angel Diva
It gets busy but is a very cool beach. Yes go early.
Well, I went early, but with traffic, was still in a loooonnnnngggg car line into the park at 8am. The car directly in front of me pulled into the parking lot and then...
...they put up safety cones indicating the lots were full/closed! :cry:

Luckily, I had a few contingency plans, so I hurriedly put a new destination into Google maps and ended up spending the day at Kings Beach State Recreation Area (on the CA side but on the North shore. )

It was nice...but kind of loud and just crammed with goofy rental watercraft of all varieties (giant water tricycles, novelty paddleboats, kayaks, paddleboards, huge inflatable multi-person inflatable things, etc.)

I doubt I'd make an effort to go there again (or at least, not on a weekend) but it was great weather, and neat taking video in the crystal clear water.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Well, I went early, but with traffic, was still in a loooonnnnngggg car line into the park at 8am. The car directly in front of me pulled into the parking lot and then...
...they put up safety cones indicating the lots were full/closed! :cry:

Luckily, I had a few contingency plans, so I hurriedly put a new destination into Google maps and ended up spending the day at Kings Beach State Recreation Area (on the CA side but on the North shore. )

It was nice...but kind of loud and just crammed with goofy rental watercraft of all varieties (giant water tricycles, novelty paddleboats, kayaks, paddleboards, huge inflatable multi-person inflatable things, etc.)

I doubt I'd make an effort to go there again (or at least, not on a weekend) but it was great weather, and neat taking video in the crystal clear water.
Wow lot full at 8 am. I've never encountered that and have gone at 11 am. Maybe b/c it's summer and I usually go in the Fall. I'm so sorry. Kings Beach is fun. My other suggestion was Tahoe City Commons Beach, Sugar Pine, and Meeks Bay but they are a lot further away.......
I'm going to Tahoe City next week for 4 nights but I'm staying at a friend's who owns a home 2 blocks from Commons Beach. We'll bring bikes and she has kayaks and SUP's...... Yikes now i'm thinking it will be packed.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Wow lot full at 8 am. I've never encountered that and have gone at 11 am. Maybe b/c it's summer and I usually go in the Fall. I'm so sorry. Kings Beach is fun. My other suggestion was Tahoe City Commons Beach, Sugar Pine, and Meeks Bay but they are a lot further away.......
I'm going to Tahoe City next week for 4 nights but I'm staying at a friend's who owns a home 2 blocks from Commons Beach. We'll bring bikes and she has kayaks and SUP's...... Yikes now i'm thinking it will be packed.
My thought was Kings Beach was 1st along the route, if that was full I'd head to Tahoe Commons (I've been there over a snowy Memorial Day Weekend while staying at Squaw Valley. ) And keep going until the turning to the West shore.

It was 8:07AM precisely when the park closed! It opened at 7am!

As long as you are biking or walking, it might be crowded but you can still get there but yeah, if driving w the kayaks go early or tbh, when I was leaving at 1PM the parking lot had cleared a little. I bet 3pm-5pm would be a nice time to take the kayaks, perhaps?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
My thought was Kings Beach was 1st along the route, if that was full I'd head to Tahoe Commons (I've been there over a snowy Memorial Day Weekend while staying at Squaw Valley. ) And keep going until the turning to the West shore.

It was 8:07AM precisely when the park closed! It opened at 7am!

As long as you are biking or walking, it might be crowded but you can still get there.
Yeah, Commons Beach is literally two blocks. We usually ride to the West Shore (past Homewood, past Sunnyside) to Sugar Pine or Meeks Bay. It's close to 30 miles round trip.
No cars necessary.

kiranbot

Certified Ski Diva
I've also had decent luck at Nevada Beach, but we've usually gone after an afternoon hike -- arriving around 4 pm or so, as you suggested.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna