• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Synavisc/arthritis

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for encouragement. I got the first shot yesterday (Euflexxa). Braced myself remembering the awful pain when I had a cortisone shot for trigger finger, but it wasn’t even close. A slight prick and a needle went into the hole. There are now lots of holes there :-)
I feel less grinding and lesser pain today, but that might be just wishful thinking.
Two more to go. In a meantime off to skiing. We, finally, got snow here.:banana:

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try wearing something to warm your knees. I have Smartwool "leg sleeves" that are for cycling, that I roll over to make double thick over my knees.

I wear braces with hinged sides while skiing , so they also keep my knees warm. But took @contesstant advice and just cut off legs of the warmest leggings and wear them rolled over my knees for walks. Really helps. Use a pin to keep them from sliding.

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update. I’m done with 3 injections of lubricant (Euflexxa) and must say they and just not overdoing things when skiing have helped. My knee is a bit swollen and painful after a day on slopes, but that’s minimal when compared to a month ago. So, I’d say if you’re in a similar situation it won’t hurt getting injections...well, it will some, when they stick the needle.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My mom had osteoarthritis in her knees. She began having problems when she was in her late 70s, and they told her to wait for a knee replacement until it really started to bother her. 10 years later, when it really started to bother her, she asked the doctor about a knee replacement. He told her she was too old (and had some other health problems) for a replacement. Moral of the story, get a knee replacement when you are younger.

The first round of treatment was the Synvisc. The doctor injected the Synvisc with cortisone, with the idea that the cortisone would give immediate relief as the Synvisc took a while to work. He also added a bit of Novocain to stop pain at the injection site. The semiannual Synvisc injections worked for her for about 5 years before becoming ineffective.

Then, they tried the Euflexxa. One injection was incredibly painful for her for about 3 days. She iced it, took pain relievers, and stoically persevered. The results were good for the Euflexxa, as well, and she had some relief from her knee pain for about 3 years. Then, even the Euflexxa became ineffective.

It was only one injection in one knee over the years that was really painful for a few days. In the overall scheme of things, she was pleased with the relief she got from the injections.

She lived until she was 94 and was fond of saying that if she knew she was going to live so long, she would have taken better care of herself when she was younger.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly