• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Synavisc/arthritis

JaneB

PSIA 1 Instructor, Killington
I just had an injection of Synavisc into my knee capsule in an effort to reduce pain/inflammation from osteoarthritis. It won't work for several weeks and really hurts right now! I'm hoping to reduce pain, which has gotten bad again after getting back on skis.

Anyone out there with good/other results?

JaneB

Jilly

Staff member
I had cortisone for my imflammation. Then 3 shots of Euflexx. This stuff sounds like the synavisc. It really didn't give me any pain relief, but the joint moved better. It's like getting a lube job on the joint.

Last edited:

Jenny

Angel Diva
I had cortisone for my imflammation. Then 3 shots of Euflexx. This stuff sounds like the Euflexx. It really didn't give me any pain relief, but the joint moved better. It's like getting a lube job on the joint.
That sounds like what my friend had first, which didn't do much. She's gone on to have the PRP procedure, and said she thinks there's been a turning point now. Still pretty early to tell for sure.

JaneB

That sounds like what my friend had first, which didn't do much. She's gone on to have the PRP procedure, and said she thinks there's been a turning point now. Still pretty early to tell for sure.
I have terrible timing! I just read a report on the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website stating that the latest findings are that the vicsosupplementations (Synavisc, etc..) are not helpful enough to be recommended. In the meantime, my knee is very sore from the injection....

altagirl

Staff member
I have terrible timing! I just read a report on the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website stating that the latest findings are that the vicsosupplementations (Synavisc, etc..) are not helpful enough to be recommended. In the meantime, my knee is very sore from the injection....

I was thinking that I remember my surgeon mentioning it but he said it seemed to have mixed results. Fingers crossed it helps you after the initial discomfort wears off!

Jilly

Staff member
Oh, I hated the injections....hurt like H E double hockey sticks. TG it was in the summer...But it has helped in moving the joint. Not sure how many takes I'm allowed before total replacement.

JaneB

The Synavisc injection did not help. I don't know what does. The pain from OA is very intermittant. Sometimes I'm fine; sometimes not....

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try wearing something to warm your knees. I have Smartwool "leg sleeves" that are for cycling, that I roll over to make double thick over my knees. I also wear a neoprene knee sleeve on my right knee (the one with the fractured tibial plateau) to give an extra dose of warmth and support. I have OA in both knees and this little trick has helped me immensely this season, especially on really cold days where last season, my knees would get very achy.

You could probably make your own knee sleeves by cutting the foot off a wool ski sock that isn't your favorite, or is too big, etc. Then double it over so it's not in your boot and gives your knees an extra layer.

If we get that cold powder storm that's supposed to come in next week while you are here, we are going to have to deal with the extra knee achiness that comes along with skiing in those conditions. Pluses and minuses! I find that the sheer fun of it tends to make me forget about my knees. :becky:

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Synavisc injection did not help.

Resurecting the thread.
I’m about to get the lubricating shot for pain and inflammation in my arthritic bone on bone knee - don’t know the brand yet, so that makes me hesitant. Has anyone else had a similar/better experience?

Jilly

Staff member
I've had no problems in my right knee. I need some in the left I think. We didn't injection that one.

Jilly

Staff member
My injects were a total of 3. Can't remember how far apart, but not far. Think all were done within 6 weeks. Euflexxa was the brand name. My insurance company wouldn't cover it either!!

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Insurance coverage...it might be because it's newer than cortisone? Did you also get cortisone along with the Euflexxa? Did you have any pain/discomfort afterwards? Asking all these because I'm scheduled to go overseas in about a month and would hate to deal with any side effects then.

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just got a call from a doc. Will also have Euflexxa - three shots over 3 weeks. I've been hobbling (in between skiing, i.e.), so I hope it's gonna help.

Jilly

Staff member
I had one shot of Cortisone with the first Euflexxa shot. Cortisone was covered by the provincial insurance plan. Euflexxa not covered by OHIP (provincial plan) or company extended health.

Euflexxa is replacing the fluid in your knee. Thus the 3 injections. Cortisone is for the inflammation in the joint.

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks Jilly. They did mention Cortisone, I said no, let's just do the lubricant. Still a novice about all these.

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was thinking that I remember my surgeon mentioning it but he said it seemed to have mixed results. Fingers crossed it helps you after the initial discomfort wears off!

Statistically there have been mixed results, e.g., my mom got zero help, but I got 9-10 months of relief with each series, buying me several years before a knee replacement. So viscosupplements " might be worth a shot!"

skithesierras

Angel Diva
I had Synvisc/Orthovisc (forget which one) with PRP a year ago, series of three shots. Insurance covered <>visc, but not PRP. I had a good 10-12 months afterwards, and just now thinking about going back for another round of shots. As @Quiver Queen says, it's buying me a few more years before a knee replacement. So I recommend it when your alternatives are few. It can't hurt!

(I have little to no cartilage left in my left knee due to injury and OA...)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna