• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Super insulated pants

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm looking for pants that are extremely insulated and can be worn under snow pants or fishing waders. Mostly, I want these for fly fishing, but they could be useful on particularly cold ski days. The insulating material would have to not be too compressible. When I'm in the water, my waders get pressed down tight and would probably make something like goose down no longer insulating. Aerogel would be the best material, but I didn't find much when I searched for that. We like to hike into these high elevation lakes in the summer, I'm always the first out of the water because I just get too cold. Any suggestions?

Christy

Angel Diva
Are you looking for something different than heavyweight wool or synthetic base layer bottoms? Or are suggestions on the warmest in those categories useful?

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you looking for something different than heavyweight wool or synthetic base layer bottoms? Or are suggestions on the warmest in those categories useful?

Something different. I've tried heavy weight wool base layer bottoms, wearing multiple pairs of yoga pants, sweat pants, nothing seems to help!

Jilly

Staff member
Carhartt has a quilted pant, as do a few ski clothing companies. You haven't seen anything on Cabela's?

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Carhartt has a quilted pant, as do a few ski clothing companies. You haven't seen anything on Cabela's?

I'll look into the quilted pants.

Cabela's really just seems to have the typical base layers (I checked men's too), stuff I already have essentially. I thought for sure other fly fishers have had this issue, and I tried searching on a fishing forum at one time for an answer. The suggestions were "get out of the water and do jumping jacks" or "just deal with it." :(

Jilly

Staff member
OK, I think I found them at one of the construction type outfitters....it's called Peavey here in Canada. But there must be someone in the states.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva

Christy

Angel Diva
Are you using chemical warmers? You could put those in your waders, right? And maybe find a pants layer with pockets where they could go? My husband relies on the giant size warmers when he fishes in winter. He's in a boat, not standing in water, but when you're just sitting there out on the water with the wind it's really really cold.

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you using chemical warmers? You could put those in your waders, right? And maybe find a pants layer with pockets where they could go? My husband relies on the giant size warmers when he fishes in winter. He's in a boat, not standing in water, but when you're just sitting there out on the water with the wind it's really really cold.

I've tried that. The problem is, they need oxygen to keep working. Pretty much all the air gets pressed out of my waders/clothing by the water. So, they work for about five minutes and then nothing.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Slightly out of left field, but would an additional layer of thin neoprene work? You can get 1-2mm thick leggings which are sold mostly for surfers. Breathability would be an issue though!

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried work pants made for working in refrigerators the fit of the brand I tried (refrigwear, men’s options only) didn’t work but the material would be perfect for what you want. Maybe there are other brands?

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried work pants made for working in refrigerators the fit of the brand I tried (refrigwear, men’s options only) didn’t work but the material would be perfect for what you want. Maybe there are other brands?

I never considered that, but maybe something like that would work!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna