• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Super hardpack, feet going numb

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My season is over, but on my last day this past weekend, the groom was super hard packed first thing in the morning (so hard that there's basically no visible change in the surface when it's skied across) and the vibrations actually caused my feet to get pins and needles and then go numb. This has happened to me a couple of times before, but never this bad, and never when the snow is soft. Luckily things softened up as the day went on, but it was pretty annoying. Does anyone else have this problem or have any tips on how to prevent it?

Jilly

Staff member
Well I usually get a foot massage from frozen corduroy. A couple things could be happening. Could the conditions be making you tense up? You might not realize it. I'll be skiing and realize that I'm curling my toes, like I'm trying to hang on to something with my toes....Relax, breathe, etc...

Boots, fit, probably not, you're a Ski Diva.
Skis - tuned for hardpack? Major feedback from the texture in the snow? ie vibrations??
Carving on edges, or sliding around. Again the reaction of the ski to the surface.

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do *usually* tense up with conditions like these, but this time I was actually enjoying myself and didn't feel tense. My edges probably need sharpening after this long season.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I was a kid, I skate-boarded. This was when skateboards first appeared in the US. 1964-ish.

I rode my skateboard on asphalt that had gravel impregnated in it. My feet would be tingling when I stopped, and they would continue to tingle for hours. I loved this effect, actually. I was maybe 14-15.

Before the skateboard, I had roller skates. These were the onew with metal wheels that strapped onto your sneakers. I rode those on asphalt with gravel in it too, and the same thing happened. Tingle, tingle, tingle.

@Cyclone6, I wonder if the tingling you are experiencing may simply be the same thing.

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I was a kid, I skate-boarded. This was when skateboards first appeared in the US. 1964-ish.

I rode my skateboard on asphalt that had gravel impregnated in it. My feet would be tingling when I stopped, and they would continue to tingle for hours. I loved this effect, actually. I was maybe 14-15.

Before the skateboard, I had roller skates. These were the onew with metal wheels that strapped onto your sneakers. I rode those on asphalt with gravel in it too, and the same thing happened. Tingle, tingle, tingle.

@Cyclone6, I wonder if the tingling you are experiencing may simply be the same thing.
Now that I think about it, the same thing sometimes happened to my hands when I used to bike everywhere in grad school.

It's not a feeling I enjoy though!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I sometimes feel a "buzz" in my feet. Anyone experience that?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now that I think about it, the same thing sometimes happened to my hands when I used to bike everywhere in grad school.

It's not a feeling I enjoy though!
Tingling in my hands doesn't feel good. It sometimes comes on during the ski season and diminishes in spring after skiing stops.

I've been thinking it's carpal tunnel syndrome, brought on by pushing myself across the flats with my poles, my palm pressing down onto the top of the grip. I do this all day while teaching beginners.

This tingling actually hurts. It stops me from typing or writing with my right hand. It has even hurt when driving. Holding the steering wheel hurts with this particular tingle. It's different from the skateboard/roller skate tingles.

I've never seen a doctor for the hand tingling since it stops in the spring, and anyway it doesn't happen every season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly