• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sunday River is Getting an 8 Person Bubble w/ Heated Seats

MissySki

Angel Diva
Sunday River will be replacing a quad lift on Jordan Bowl with an 8-pack bubble next year. I had assumed it would be a 6 versus an 8.. I'm a bit shocked it'll be an 8, but I understand this should be better for wind issues that are a major problem and knock out service there at critical times. I am concerned what that will do to the great bump trail under the lift and the woods on either side which will surely need lots of expansion to fit an 8 pack. Sure does look pretty though, and can't say I'll mind heated seat as it's always coldest as you go West it seems. There is a lot that is supposed to follow this, like future expansion to the West for terrain, which is very exciting though not sure how soon that will happen. We are set for a lot of upgrades and activity over the next decade, we'll see what pans out. The existing Jordan quad is supposed to replace the current Barker quad that desperately needs an upgrade. I'm a bit surprised about this too, was thinking it'd be a 6 pack at least as a major workhorse for moving people out of that base area..

marzNC

Angel Diva
Boyne Resorts is also putting in a D-line 8-pack at Boyne Mountain. While that may seem like overkill for the slopes, it's replacing two lifts. More importantly, it will be used in conjunction with a sky bridge that's going to be built. Boyne built a sky bridge when they had to replace the chairlift in Gatlinburg, TN after it was damaged by fire several years ago.

My sense is that when Boyne put in the D-line 8-pack at Big Sky, they already knew what they wanted to do at other resorts in the not too distant future. They know from Boyne Mountain and Boyne Highlands that improving features related to being a 4-season resort is key to having a successful and sustainable business.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is a 2030 plan for Sunday River.

The original future plan for Big Sky was 2020. Now what's available is the 2025 plan.

MissySki

Angel Diva
There is a 2030 plan for Sunday River.

The original future plan for Big Sky was 2020. Now what's available is the 2025 plan.

Haha oh I'm aware of the 2030 plan. Everything got pushed at least a year already due to Covid.. But seems the 8 pack is now slated for installation next summer, so we'll see. Seems near term enough to happen.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Haha oh I'm aware of the 2030 plan. Everything got pushed at least a year already due to Covid.. But seems the 8 pack is now slated for installation next summer, so we'll see. Seems near term enough to happen.
The expansion and upgrade plans for Big Sky are probably a decade or more behind what Everett Kircher wanted to do when he bought Big Sky decades ago. I know that there were big plans around 2005 or 2006 that had to go on hold because of the 2008 recession. That's why Boyne sold resorts to the REIT, but stayed on as the operator. They retained ownership of Big Sky though. Buying back all their resorts in 2018 was a clear sign that they were ready for the next stage for all their resorts.

The interview with Stephen Kircher from 2019 is well worth listening to if you are interested.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
It's tough at the unload even now, with just a quad. Where on earth are they going to put all those people?? As it is, people seem to unload and just....stand around. :doh: Now double that?

MissySki

Angel Diva
The expansion and upgrade plans for Big Sky are probably a decade or more behind what Everett Kircher wanted to do when he bought Big Sky decades ago. I know that there were big plans around 2005 or 2006 that had to go on hold because of the 2008 recession. That's why Boyne sold resorts to the REIT, but stayed on as the operator. They retained ownership of Big Sky though. Buying back all their resorts in 2018 was a clear sign that they were ready for the next stage for all their resorts.

The interview with Stephen Kircher from 2019 is well worth listening to if you are interested.

I am interested for sure, thanks for sharing!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
It's tough at the unload even now, with just a quad. Where on earth are they going to put all those people?? As it is, people seem to unload and just....stand around. :doh: Now double that?

My understanding is that the unload area will now face the little patrol shack. So it'll be a different arrangement at the top than now. I do agree that there are issues up there with people standing around, will be interesting to see how it goes. Having ridden the 8 pack at Big Sky, it wasn't an issue there, so it just seems like something that needs to be managed.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I love the idea of heated seats. Are they as good as they sound, or do they just melt snow then you end up sitting in a puddle?

I've only ridden heated seats at Big Sky. One day was warm enough that I was sweating a bit after a run and I wished I could turn OFF the heat because I was dying the whole ride up. Another day it felt wonderful! Not sure what happens on say a powder day when people sit down all wet, hopefully things can drain. Maybe some of the Okemo skiers can chime in since they have heated bubbles.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've only ridden heated seats at Big Sky. One day was warm enough that I was sweating a bit after a run and I wished I could turn OFF the heat because I was dying the whole ride up. Another day it felt wonderful! Not sure what happens on say a powder day when people sit down all wet, hopefully things can drain. Maybe some of the Okemo skiers can chime in since they have heated bubbles.
As I remember the level of heat can be adjusted by the operator for the D-line 8-pack at Big Sky.

Of course, whether or not the bubble is down is optional so that makes a difference too.

MissySki

Angel Diva
As I remember the level of heat can be adjusted by the operator for the D-line 8-pack at Big Sky.

Of course, whether or not the bubble is down is optional so that makes a difference too.

The one that made me sweat was the Powder Seeker 6 doing laps in that little bowl area. I didn't notice an ability to adjust the heat, but that would be pretty awesome so hope that is a feature to come.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I'd be happier if the resort got rid of the constant septic smell at the Barker Basin; put lights in the employee parking lot; created a dedicated uphill route (a la Saddleback); and renovated the snow sport school locker room -- my DD has a constant cough each season and I swear that place breeds disease. This smacks of putting a silk purse on a sow's ear and pandering to high-end real estate purchasers. There's a planned terrain expansion Westward, but unless that happens at the same time the lift opens, the two peaks to be served by that lift will be even more crazy than they are now. I just can't see a 25% increase in uphill capacity being a good thing.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The one that made me sweat was the Powder Seeker 6 doing laps in that little bowl area. I didn't notice an ability to adjust the heat, but that would be pretty awesome so hope that is a feature to come.
The adjustment has to be made by the liftie. It's not an option for the people riding the lift.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'd be happier if the resort got rid of the constant septic smell at the Barker Basin; put lights in the employee parking lot; created a dedicated uphill route (a la Saddleback); and renovated the snow sport school locker room -- my DD has a constant cough each season and I swear that place breeds disease. This smacks of putting a silk purse on a sow's ear and pandering to high-end real estate purchasers. There's a planned terrain expansion Westward, but unless that happens at the same time the lift opens, the two peaks to be served by that lift will be even more crazy than they are now. I just can't see a 25% increase in uphill capacity being a good thing.

Well, part of the short term plan is to "build a new facility to serve at the home of our SnowSports School programs slopeside on South Ridge". So at least that part is supposedly coming, though I don't know when.

The expansion is in long term, and it says "over the coming decades".. so won't be holding my breath that it's anytime soon even to start. Would be nice if it were though and exciting for the future. I always hear talk of those acres of land further West and what the original vision was from some of my instructors. I hadn't imagined it might still be in the works and part of the current lift access vision though. In the article I shared, Stuart even specifies that when he interviewed the Boyne CEO in 2019 he stated that there were no expansion plans for terrain beyond Merrill Hill. So this is a change putting it out there this boldly and saying it could eventually double our skiable acreage, but again who knows when it'll ever happen when they are putting the term "decades" on it.

Totally agree on the smell at Barker, what even is that??

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Yeah, the "vision" sounds lovely. I don't expect most of it to come to fruition. Much in it and more, including the snow sport/kid's center, was set out in the Vision 2020 that was released in 2007 or 2008. I wish I still had that fancy booklet that was released with the plan somewhere.

It has to happen sooner or later, but I am not holding my breath. The thing about a privately held company is that it can promise and pivot without having the SEC call 'em out.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yeah, the "vision" sounds lovely. I don't expect most of it to come to fruition. Much in it and more, including the snow sport/kid's center, was set out in the Vision 2020 that was released in 2007 or 2008. I wish I still had that fancy booklet that was released with the plan somewhere.

It has to happen sooner or later, but I am not holding my breath. The thing about a privately held company is that it can promise and pivot without having the SEC call 'em out.

Very true!

I hope anything in the short term is more likely though, so fingers crossed on the ski school center at least!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
My understanding is that the unload area will now face the little patrol shack. So it'll be a different arrangement at the top than now. I do agree that there are issues up there with people standing around, will be interesting to see how it goes. Having ridden the 8 pack at Big Sky, it wasn't an issue there, so it just seems like something that needs to be managed.
As it is right now, if on the right side of the quad, good luck if you want to get to the left for Kansas or Rogue Angel. Go straight>back track. When you can. Wow, doesn't that place have enough cluster-you-know-whats as it already is? :frown:

As for heated seats and getting wet -- only if your pants are snow-covered - or it's snowing altogether.

MissySki

Angel Diva
As it is right now, if on the right side of the quad, good luck if you want to get to the left for Kansas or Rogue Angel. Go straight>back track. When you can. Wow, doesn't that place have enough cluster-you-know-whats as it already is? :frown:

As for heated seats and getting wet -- only if your pants are snow-covered - or it's snowing altogether.

Yeah if I'm on that lift with people I don't know I always ask which way they're going when we start nearing the top. And specify where I'm going.. As it makes me nervous.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna