• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sunday River and Sugarloaf Early Season Conditions

SnowSeeker

Angel Diva
Has anyone been skiing at either Sugarloaf or Sunday River this week (Thanksgiving weekend and beyond) who can give me an idea of conditions and potential trail openings? I'm trying to get my daughter on the snow somewhere this weekend Friday-Sunday to prep for her race season. Her camp at SR was cancelled two weeks ago due to lack of snow, but it looks like they have been blowing quite a bit. Both Sugarloaf and Sunday River have very good cyber deals for this weekend and it looks like they may have less rain on Saturday than everywhere else - but I'm trying to decide if it's worth it even at a great price. We've skied Sugarloaf a few times but only with lots of snow. Haven't been up to Sunday River before. Any conditions intel beyond what I can read on their websites would be very helpful! Thanks

MissySki

Angel Diva
I skied Sunday River this past Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was pretty scratchy and crowded but I didn't start until 10am that day, Sunday had some nice softening and bumps popping up because it was quite warm. Had fun both days, but especially Sunday was a blast, lots of racers training on the mountain. We always either try and get ahead or wait behind those groups haha. There are some trails open on Locke, Barker (though Barker chair has been down since Sunday, supposedly waiting for a part so hopefully open by the weekend), Spruce, Chondola is open, and starting to get some on South Ridge.

This Saturday is a demo day, which could be fun if you are into that. @lisamamot and I will be there demoing for sure, would love to meet up if you are so inclined to demo and/or take a few runs.

They are blowing whenever temps allow, had lots going this morning. We are expecting rain Wednesday, but they'll again blow as soon as they can after that ahead of the weekend.

Let me know if you have any specific questions I can help with beyond my general musings. :smile: @lisamamot was there today, so can probably give more of an update too.

SnowSeeker

Angel Diva
Thanks - this is very helpful information! I didn’t know there was a demo day, which would be great. Even though we have a kid who races, we also get annoyed when we get stuck behind the teams on the snow— they can take up a lot of space, especially when terrain is limited. I know there are racing camps scheduled to be at Sunday River this weekend too. I’ll be in touch if we end up there this weekend.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Even though we have a kid who races, we also get annoyed when we get stuck behind the teams on the snow— they can take up a lot of space, especially when terrain is limited.
Sometimes it can be really bad, more with the older kids who are really good and really fast. I want those people ahead of me versus flying by me haha. Even though they seem like amazing skiers who are completely in control at super high speeds, it can be a bit disconcerting to have a whole group fly by you. I think those folks must have been more on a closed to the public trail for that this weekend because I saw more of the younger kid groups elsewhere on the trails. They actually were really great and we had no problems either waiting a couple of minutes for them to go ahead or with getting ahead of them this past weekend. :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly