• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sun + warmth —> waaaahhhhh!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to dread spring, got really I to mountain biking and teaching it, but now allergies make it almost impossible to venture outside, and I dread spring once more.

3/4 of the year I work solo and see almost no one. After teaching skiing all winter with fun guests and amazing colleagues it feels like massive emotional annual blow. Yet my body likes the switch of movement patterns and the birds and flowers and natural cycles do bring a smile to the winter tanned face.

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always get a bit sad when it warms up the first time. This year it seems like the good skiing just finally happened the last couple of weeks. I wasn't ready for the powder skiing to end. I always have to remind myself that winter will hit again in March and hopefully the snowpack will heal and the big lines in the backcountry will get safe to ski this spring. I am also realistic it might be one of those ski years that is so-so. I got a one-year memory that this time last year we had already jumped into some couloirs in the backcountry. I do have lots of other summer outdoor hobbies but they all need to wait until the snow completely melts since our mountain biking, backpacking trails, etc are also where we backcountry ski. The low elevation stuff is usually private land. Luckily the canyon country is nice in the spring before the rattlesnakes, ticks, and poison ivy comes out in full force.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I want to be one of those people who skis the runs off the Palmer lift in July at Timberline! I just don't know if I'm good enough. I can't even fathom my warmup run having to be a black. I'm sure I could do it if I could ski some blues first, but that isn't a choice by the time Palmer opens. I also want to see the US Ski team practice up there!
As Cyclone6 said, I was going to suggest a trip to Oregon if the hankering gets too bad! https://www.timberlinelodge.com/mountain/summer-activities

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My ski season ends the first week of March every year, just before Spring Break. I don’t enjoy spring conditions or crowds so I am perfectly happy to call it. My golf season also starts in April of every year so I enjoy the transition to get ready for a different sport.

MissySki

Angel Diva
My ski season ends the first week of March every year, just before Spring Break. I don’t enjoy spring conditions or crowds so I am perfectly happy to call it. My golf season also starts in April of every year so I enjoy the transition to get ready for a different sport.

I would've thought that spring at Taos would be awesome with all of the great bump skiing.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One of my ski buddies here asked today if I visited my boat when I was home for my shot. Not yet. I’m more worried about the possible warm weather up here next week. :frown:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I would've thought that spring at Taos would be awesome with all of the great bump skiing.
Texas schools have spring break the second half of March. Some season passes are blacked out for those two weeks. For a local like @Susan L , probably not worth it.

However, you are correct that the snow pack is generally pretty good mid-March. I'll get a first-hand impression soon. Since NM dropped travel restrictions, I and a few friends are headed to Taos soon. It a replacement for the week we cancelled that was planned for early February. With limited capacity, hoping it won't be as crowded as usual. Ikon reservations were hard to get for the Sunday we'll be there but not a problem midweek.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I get spoiled with spectacular snow all season long and the snow quality is noticeably different by March, so @marzNC is correct, not worth it to me. The snow is already getting icy in the am and too slushy in the afternoon with the freeze-thaw cycle. Plus the weather is getting very nice (warm) here, perfect for golf so I got something else to obsess over:yahoo:

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Plus the weather is getting very nice (warm) here, perfect for golf so I got something else to obsess over
Same reason that the ski areas in the southeast sometimes close mostly because few people except season passholders are interested in making turns on snow in March even when the trails are still in decent shape. Once the golf courses are looking green, people think that winter is over everywhere.

For that matter, even local powder hounds in SLC and Denver sometimes don't bother to make the drive for a late season storm. Lines on a powder morning at Alta aren't nearly as long in April as they are in February. But for travelers from the east coast, late season skiing is still a lot of fun.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Same reason that the ski areas in the southeast sometimes close mostly because few people except season passholders are interested in making turns on snow in March even when the trails are still in decent shape. Once the golf courses are looking green, people think that winter is over everywhere.

For that matter, even local powder hounds in SLC and Denver sometimes don't bother to make the drive for a late season storm. Lines on a powder morning at Alta aren't nearly as long in April as they are in February. But for travelers from the east coast, late season skiing is still a lot of fun.

If I don’t golf too, I’d probably stick around until the end of season. I paid $1600 for my unlimited pass this year and likely did not get my money’s worth, but it’s ok. My golf membership starts now and it cost ALOT more money than my ski pass so I gotta switch to golf mode soon.
I probably think differently from those who cannot ski every day or those who has to travel for good snow. There is always a storm in late March at Taos so I can see it being a perfect time to visit!!!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Yes! I hate/dread when the ski season ends, but it is nice if that morphs right into golf season! Although skiing is still my first love & I definitely skier better than I golf, LOL!!
And kayaking! What about kayaking? There must be a lot of paddling divas!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I know, right?

The place that my friend and I went on Friday has dramatically cut their weekday hours this week, and we can hear the bell tolling. I’m trying to decide if I just go ahead and return the kids skis and get mine waxed so that I can appropriately begin the grieving process. LOL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna