• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sun Valley

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Northstar ! Zephyr Lodge and Summit Lodge - same floor (2 out of 3 lodges no stairs).

alison wong

Angel Diva
There are some burger places and some meat-heavy places people like, it's just that those aren't my thing.
Ditto. I don't like burger, last time I had it was >1 year ago, don't like meat heavy dishes for dinner either.
I do like bakeries, anything savory appeals to me, bowl of pasta or pizza is satisfying at the end of a ski day.

Jdubkc

Diva in Training
The Pioneer Saloon is an institution. It's old school, there's taxidermy on the walls and I don't even eat animals but I still love it (I get the trout or prawns). The bar is fun--we've struck up a lot of great conversations with people there. It can be very crowded with long waits but you are there during a quiet time. Everyone goes there--ranchers from the surrounding area, rich people that flew in on private jets, tourists.

Rickshaw is my favorite. If this is a solo trip for you, they have a little bar which is nice. Popular and small but they have a nice fire pit outside for waiting. Good wine.

Enoteca (Italian) is good. We usually eat at the bar. They are popular so we always call ahead (and are always told that all tables are reserved, but they can hold a couple of bar seats...). Nice wine selection, nice staff.

Christina's is wonderful. They only serve breakfast and lunch (and to-go meals), but they also have a bakery case with the best cookies. Christina is Italian and so it's not just the usual American stuff. I always go at least once for a big box of cookies.

The Kneadery is good for breakfast. It's in a historic log cabin. And I love love love Konditeri, out at the lodge, for breakfast/lunch/baked goods, but I bet that won't work for you as you'll be on the mountain during those meals and it's outside of town.

If you just wanted a sandwich or salad, I like Bigwood Bread and also, Atkinson's Grocery, which has a small but good, fresh salad bar in the produce section. Atkinson's is a great grocery for whatever you need.

Roundhouse (from 1937) is my favorite on the mountain. If you don't want to take the time to sit and be waited on at lunch during the ski day--I know not everyone does--at least make it a pit stop at some point. You can get a glass of water from the dispenser near the door and look at the old photos and the 4-sided fireplace. If you want something less expensive than everything else on the mountain, check out the Lookout. It's Mexican, and it's not the best Mexican you'll ever have, but it's pretty good, and reasonable prices, and the restroom is right by the doors--not down or up stairs. It's kind of an ugly building and not as nice as the newer lodges, so prices are lower to get people to go there. Seattle Lodge is very comfortable with a good fireplace, great views and slightly better than average lodge food. That's where most people like to eat lunch.

My biggest tip is that if you just need a quick restroom break when on Seattle Ridge, ski past the main entrance, down to doors that lead into a lower level where the restroom is. (Can you tell a big pet peeve of mine is having to walk up or down stairs in ski boots?). My second tip is that there are free cubbies to store your things in River Run Lodge, near the fireplace. That is where you'd naturally start your day if staying in Ketchum. Oh, and, ski storage at Pete Lane's, at the River Run base, tucked away in the corner, is only $5/night for people not staying at a SV property. So if you don't like carrying your skis consider doing that.
Hi just caught this thread. Thanks for the tips. I've skied SV before but I have never seen the restaurants this busy week between Christmas and New Years. Started making reservations over 1.5 months out. Still thinking I'm going to have to cook a ton and not get in to some of our favorite spots. So far doing Rickshaw, Ketchum Grill, Sawtooth Club. That's all I could get. Pioneer is no reservations & I wonder if we could go early to get a spot? I would do bar seating anywhere so lmk if you have tips. Thanks much!

Christy

Angel Diva
Hi just caught this thread. Thanks for the tips. I've skied SV before but I have never seen the restaurants this busy week between Christmas and New Years. Started making reservations over 1.5 months out. Still thinking I'm going to have to cook a ton and not get in to some of our favorite spots. So far doing Rickshaw, Ketchum Grill, Sawtooth Club. That's all I could get. Pioneer is no reservations & I wonder if we could go early to get a spot? I would do bar seating anywhere so lmk if you have tips. Thanks much!

Wow, I wonder why everything is so booked already. Is this holiday season going to be extra busy with travel?

Yes going early to the Pio works. It's fun to have a drink in the bar first anyway so I never mind waiting a bit. Even during slow times if you show up at 7 on a Saturday it will be a 2 hour wait. Is Rickshaw taking reservations now? That is great if so. We usually manage to get last minute bar seating at Enoteca by calling just before we go. Maybe you'd need to give them more notice if it's so busy but it's worth trying. I don't think they officially take reservations for the bar seating but will hold seats when we call.

If you like Ketchum Grill did you try Town Square Tavern (same owners)?

Rickshaw has online ordering for takeout plus they sell frozen dumplings.

If you were interested in going out to the lodge I like the food in the bar (the Dutchin) which is from the same kitchen as Gretchen's, but less expensive, and I like the bar atmosphere better, especially when they have live music, plus it's fun to watch the skaters.

alison wong

Angel Diva
1st day of skiing at Sun Valley today.

Arrived Saturday night (Jan 8th). Rested Sunday, we went to church, had brunch at Konditorei (it was wonderful), visited Sun Valley Lodge, ice skating rink, then went to river run base to check out logistics stuff (skis storage, boot up place, bathroom, tickets etc). Finished the day with grocery run at Atkinson's.

We started this morning at Dollar mountain, had lunch there then took bus to Bald mountain, skied until 3:30 pm. Dropped off skis at Pete's lane storage before coming home.

Sun valley turns out much better than we expected. My original intention was to check out the fancy lodge and private jets. After today, I realized Sun Valley has lot more to offer......
We enjoyed the sun drenched trails. Reminds me of Taos (sunny).
Also I like the tree lined trails off Broadway, reminds me of Spar Gulch in Ajax (Aspen) mountain. We lapped trails off Seattle ridge, then took Mayday chair, came down on a blue (Sigi's bowl) by mistake. It wasn't bad at all. I thought people said Sun Valley greens are like blues, blues like blacks. But I found trail ratings are pretty comparable to greens and blues in other mountains. My last run was Olympics from Roundhouse to the base. This place is not crowded at all, no lift lines, feel like you have the mountain all to yourself.
Tomorrow we plan to check out Warm Springs area: Arnold's run and Picabo street; not to ski, just want to take a look and snap few photos.

My ski friend likes it so much that she may suggest her sister's family come here for next Xmas.

I am also very glad I came here. Sun Valley is our last stop of this ski trip. We started on December 30th in SLC. It was a long trip, at one point I was feeling too exhausted to continue on this last leg. But after today, I am feeling energized and already considering to come back next season, either with a ski club or come on my own.

Again, thanks @Christy for all your tips and suggestions, very useful and saved us lot of time from figuring out things ourselves. We plan to order take out from Rickshaw for dinner tomorrow. I saw Pioneer salon and Enoteca, they are practically next to each other. Cristina bakery is permanently closed.

Last 2 random thoughts, this place is fancy. I've never seen so many people wearing Kjus, Bogner brand ski clothes. Ski clothing shop at River Run lodge has no "sale" rack.
Don't see many snowboarders here, only encountered ~10 boarders at most today? Also, moguls are more like skier formed moguls than snowboarders. Another reason why I adore this place ❤.

No time to check out Nordic skiing this trip as we are leaving Wednesday. Definitely I will do it next time when I come back.
20220110_101725.jpg

Christy

Angel Diva
Cristina bakery is permanently closed.

WHAT?? That is terrible news. There is no other place that makes such exquisite delicious cookies. I guess I need to find out who the pastry chef is, and where they went.

(Ok, I googled, it looks like she lost staff in the pandemic, her chef got brain cancer, and she is 70 and was thinking of retirement.)

I'm so glad you are having a good time. If you didn't already, don't forget to at least stop in at the Roundhouse.

We lapped trails off Seattle ridge, then took Mayday chair, came down on a blue (Sigi's bowl) by mistake. It wasn't bad at all. I thought people said Sun Valley greens are like blues, blues like blacks. But I found trail ratings are pretty comparable to greens and blues in other mountains.

I can happily lap the Seattle Ridge trails too. But I can't think of any other mountain where I would lap greens, or even ski them deliberately except for cat tracks, and feel like I'm actually skiing. :smile: (I don't mean to argue with you, this is all subjective stuff).

alison wong

Angel Diva
I can happily lap the Seattle Ridge trails too. But I can't think of any other mountain where I would lap greens, or even ski them deliberately except for cat tracks, and feel like I'm actually skiing. :smile: (I don't mean to argue with you, this is all subjective stuff).
Cat tracks are actually wider than most cat tracks I've skied. They are also not moguly at the end of the day. I am satisfied. Plus I need to take it easy because I think I sprained my right knee in SLC. I still have 2 more trips to go this season....

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Love this trip report ! Was in Sun Valley in 1985 and just loved it. Need to go back. And, I thought Seattle Ridge was so much fun ! Also the other side Warm Springs.

Christy

Angel Diva
Warm Springs is a trip. I have, more than once, stopped on the side of the run and just started laughing at how long the run is on such a true fall line. It just goes and goes...btw locals never ski it in the morning, when it's in the shade and maybe kinda firm (though I think SV has had snow lately?), they wait until the sun gets higher in the sky.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna