• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sun Valley

Bookworm

Angel Diva
My sister just moved to Idaho Falls which she says is about 90 minutes from Sun Valley. Since I'm daydreaming about future ski trips, anyone know much about Sun Valley? Is it a good place to go in December? I've never been to Idaho even though it looks so beautiful, so Id love to make a trip work there.

Christy

Angel Diva
Ahh...my favorite. It's 2:45 from Idaho Falls, according to Google.

Here are the big things to know.
Pros: Great mountain, on the steeper side, no lift lines except maybe at Xmas, great food, lodges and service. Ketchum is a great ski town--one of the best. No chains, no sprawl, great restaurants.
Cons: They get less snow than almost anyone else in the West. Tons of snowmaking, but of course that only helps the groomers.

If you like nice hotels, the SV Lodge is historic and wonderful. They have good package deals or discounts for Epic holders. Whether or not you stay there, at least go check it out, look at the historic photos in the halls, watch the ice skaters, have a cocktail. If you book a spa service you get to use the hot pool, which is the gold standard of hot pools IMO.

Here are links to trip reports I've done. ETA: There are a lot of these. I'll just let you search if you want.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/sun-valley-jan-13-17.23490/

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/sun-valley-jan-30-feb-3.20451/

Bookworm

Angel Diva
Thanks! I found a bunch of rather inexpensive AirBnB's, too. Sounds like my kind of ski resort. I'll have to just keep and eye on the snowfall.
Do you know if the 4-day pass is for sale all-year long, or just pre-season?

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I started a thread but got distracted and have to go back to it. The upshot is: only go in a good snow year! But, the food in Ketchum is great!

The drive between Idaho Falls and Sun Valley is pretty nice. Keep in mind that Grand Targhee and Jackson Hole are pretty close to Idaho Falls heading east, too.

Christy

Angel Diva
Oh, I forgot you asked about December. I wouldn't expect much snow then, but, they do a bang up job of making snow on groomers for the Xmas crowds. So there will be groomers to ski, but this is not an area like Targhee that usually will have a good amount of natural snow.

SV really does it up for Christmas though. We used to do an early season (pre Xmas, usually including the tree lighting) and it was a lot of fun. You'd just want to have reasonable snow expectations, though really that's true everywhere in December.

We always do the lodge packages, which includes lift tickets, so I don't know about the 4 day pass.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Contemplating a quick trip to Sun Valley, looking at my potential dates:

4-day in mid December - Must be home by Dec 16th.
vs
4-day in early/mid January - Need to be home by Jan 12th.

How will the snow coverage, trail openings be different in 3-4 weeks for Sun Valley? Asking because I wonder if I should wait until Jan or just go in Dec.
Probably will be more stressful for me to go in Jan. (due to work project go live end of Jan.) But I am tempted to go later for better snow conditions and coverage.

I am also open to other suggestions for Epic destinations: PCMR + Snowbasin or Vail+Beaver Creek. But these combos would require longer stays?

Christy

Angel Diva
In early to mid December you'll be skiing on man made snow on groomers. They work hard to get a decent number of trails open for the Xmas break but a trip that ends the 15th is pretty early. We've been right before Xmas a number of times. For us the trade off was good--the Lodge had great rates, the Xmas festivities were fun, the decorations are beautiful, we got to go to our favorite restaurants and bars, and it wasn't crowded. And the lodge hot pool was perfect as always...Most of the time we even had a good dump of new snow (keep in mind this was a week later than you are talking about). We just knew to keep our expectations in check--we knew there wouldn't be off piste skiing for example. We also would go once or twice more that season--it wasn't ever our only trip.

And yes, there's a big difference 4 weeks later. There is everywhere, I think. Mid-December is considered early season for a reason, even if it can be quite good at some places, like Whistler, in some years.

It's early for all of those choices, isn't it? When we think about good early season destinations, I don't think of any of those. I know BC isn't usually great in early/mid December based on my trips there for World Cup races.

Christy

Angel Diva
@alison wong another thought. A lot of skiers won't make reservations for ski trips for that time--they wait to see who has the snow. Early December is a quiet travel time. There should be good availability of hotels, seats on flights, and rental cars. Sure you will end up paying more for airfare if you book last minute, but if you want to be assured of decent conditions, it could be worth it.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Thanks @Christy. Mileage points for Dec and Jan dates are the same w/ Delta. I am not planning to rent a car, since I will be flying into Sun Valley and likely will stay in Ketchum.
I am more concerned about thin coverage and limited trail openings. Not good enough to venture off piste so skiing off piste is not priority for me.
Likely I will book Jan 8th - 12th, ski 3.5 days in Sun Valley only.

Christy

Angel Diva
I have been that week many times and have been happy. It's a nice quiet time after the Xmas holidays. You definitely don't need a car. I'm not sure if we will do our usual trip this year, with Covid still on. Idaho has been unimpressive to say the least in that regard.

Christy

Angel Diva
The Pioneer Saloon is an institution. It's old school, there's taxidermy on the walls and I don't even eat animals but I still love it (I get the trout or prawns). The bar is fun--we've struck up a lot of great conversations with people there. It can be very crowded with long waits but you are there during a quiet time. Everyone goes there--ranchers from the surrounding area, rich people that flew in on private jets, tourists.

Rickshaw is my favorite. If this is a solo trip for you, they have a little bar which is nice. Popular and small but they have a nice fire pit outside for waiting. Good wine.

Enoteca (Italian) is good. We usually eat at the bar. They are popular so we always call ahead (and are always told that all tables are reserved, but they can hold a couple of bar seats...). Nice wine selection, nice staff.

Christina's is wonderful. They only serve breakfast and lunch (and to-go meals), but they also have a bakery case with the best cookies. Christina is Italian and so it's not just the usual American stuff. I always go at least once for a big box of cookies.

The Kneadery is good for breakfast. It's in a historic log cabin. And I love love love Konditeri, out at the lodge, for breakfast/lunch/baked goods, but I bet that won't work for you as you'll be on the mountain during those meals and it's outside of town.

If you just wanted a sandwich or salad, I like Bigwood Bread and also, Atkinson's Grocery, which has a small but good, fresh salad bar in the produce section. Atkinson's is a great grocery for whatever you need.

Roundhouse (from 1937) is my favorite on the mountain. If you don't want to take the time to sit and be waited on at lunch during the ski day--I know not everyone does--at least make it a pit stop at some point. You can get a glass of water from the dispenser near the door and look at the old photos and the 4-sided fireplace. If you want something less expensive than everything else on the mountain, check out the Lookout. It's Mexican, and it's not the best Mexican you'll ever have, but it's pretty good, and reasonable prices, and the restroom is right by the doors--not down or up stairs. It's kind of an ugly building and not as nice as the newer lodges, so prices are lower to get people to go there. Seattle Lodge is very comfortable with a good fireplace, great views and slightly better than average lodge food. That's where most people like to eat lunch.

My biggest tip is that if you just need a quick restroom break when on Seattle Ridge, ski past the main entrance, down to doors that lead into a lower level where the restroom is. (Can you tell a big pet peeve of mine is having to walk up or down stairs in ski boots?). My second tip is that there are free cubbies to store your things in River Run Lodge, near the fireplace. That is where you'd naturally start your day if staying in Ketchum. Oh, and, ski storage at Pete Lane's, at the River Run base, tucked away in the corner, is only $5/night for people not staying at a SV property. So if you don't like carrying your skis consider doing that.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this, much much appreciated. This saves me a lot of time to research. Already googled restaurants & bakeries you mentioned, I have some ideas on where to eat. Thanks for the tips on ski storage too, I was thinking about it yesterday since the place I stay is ~2.5 blocks to bus stop, prefer not to haul my gears everyday.

Christy

Angel Diva
There are plenty of other places people like so I'm sure I've left off places others would recommend. There are some burger places and some meat-heavy places people like, it's just that those aren't my thing. There's some decent Mexican like Despo's too.

The (free) buses have ski racks on the outside but I too prefer to store my skis there.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Can you tell a big pet peeve of mine is having to walk up or down stairs in ski boots?
Stairs and ski boots are the scariest part of any ski outing for me…and hard packed or wet pavement hills in ski boots.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna