• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sun Valley, Jan 13-17

Christy

Angel Diva
Our annual trip. (Which sometimes happens twice or even 3 times a year). It was some of the best conditions we've ever had. Once again we brought the snow, which they sorely needed.

Beautiful weather Sunday and Monday. It's been very thin this year but they did get some snow last week which helped. I thought it was going to be real hard pack these days but it wasn't, the groomers at least were lovely.

1547859488146.png

It was empty, even by Sun Valley standards. The occupancy rate at SV properties was 12%. I wonder if the resorts associated with the MCP are seeing fewer visitors as the Ikon/Epic passes have gotten so popular. (Then why are the SV properties still so dang expensive??).

Quiet base lodge in the am.

1547860452176.png

I used the half price lesson voucher I get with my Alaska Air boarding pass. Such a deal. When we use these on weekdays we generally end up getting a private since there aren't enough students to form groups. My husband got a private and I was paired with a very cheerful Australian woman who comes with her family every year. The instructors are usually very, very good, and they always try to talk us into moving there. I did a drill that was new to me, where you drop your downhill shoulder in an exaggerated fashion, and boy does that get you on your outside ski. It really set me on the right path for the whole trip.

Of course, it's usually relatively quiet in SV. My sister in law from Iowa came to meet us and it's easy to see why people choose more convenient destinations. She missed her DEN-SUN (on United) connection in DEN, and since there is only one SV flight a day from there it was either wait 24 hours or figure something else out. She took a flight to Idaho Falls then got a rental car for a one way to the SV airport. Then she had to wait until the next incoming flight arrived to pick up others for the SV shuttle to pick her up. Then on her last day her flight was diverted to Twin Falls which means getting bused by the airline and losing some hours of your last day. She would have been able to ski her last morning but couldn't due to the diversion. Alaska Air has better technology than the other airlines and they are now allowed to fly in when others aren't (this is new since 2017). They are now getting in ~95% of the time in winter, compared to other airlines at ~65%. This is SO nice as we've been diverted to Boise so many times which is a huge drag as it's 3 hours away and just kills your last day.

Then it started snowing. A little Tuesday; a few inches for Wednesday; then 6+ inches overnight and more all day Thursday. Tues and Wed were a blast. Thursday was fun but also tiring. I was on my Total Joys (not great in powder; I bought them in SV for SV conditions) and it was relatively warm. I should have demoed fatter skis. Next time. It's amazing how glorious powder can be some days (on the right skis) and how much work it can be otherwise. It's also amazing how tracked out powder gets quickly even at a place like SV!

https://flic.kr/p/2cUdKEx
I had the best massage of my life at the spa on Wednesday. I'd had some nagging back pain and it turned out I had 2 rib tips out of place. :eek: I thought I was just sore from doing so much Pilates. In general the spa is super nice and worth the splurge. Non-guests get to use the hot pool if they book a spa service (WORTH IT!!).

We had to be back at the lodge late afternoon for our shuttle to the airport. They let us use the hot pool and locker room/shower even though we've checked out. One of my true joys in life is drinking sparkling rose and watching the ice skaters from the Dutchin Room at the lodge. The bartender there gave me an extra special pour since I was leaving. :smile: One time my husband found me drinking my rose down there in my slippers and he knew I'd reached a place of entitlement. I have yet to do it in my robe and slippers straight from the pool though and you do see that.

1547861397571.png

This will be our only trip of the year as we both turn 50 in March and are going to Paris and London in early March (during ski season--sacrilege I know). It's always a little sad to leave.

1547862457621.png

Last edited:

Sparky

Angel Diva
I knew Alaska offers same day lift tickets but didn’t realize they do the half off lessons, what a good deal! DH and I do an annual trip to SV for a client dinner, but unfortunately this year we’re flying into Boise and driving. Too bad, I would’ve taken advantage of the lesson deal. We too have experienced many flight problems in the past and getting bussed to/from Boise!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I still remember my trip to Sun Valley in 1985. So much fun......

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hoping to get up there sometime next month or in March. We get freebie days as Snowbasin premier passholders. But, I love Grand Targhee so much, it's hard to peel me away from there!

Christy

Angel Diva
I can't resist posting a photo from last week, even though I've probably taken and posted so many versions of this. SV is on Epic now but so far (I know it's still early) locals say it hasn't brought the feared crowds. Part of this is likely due to the fact that while snow coverage is good, when you look at the numbers it's not anything that would make someone book a flight.

1578945607056.png

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I’m missing Diva East to go to Sun Valley this year. I’m so excited!

To get 10 days at Sun Valley/Snowbasin, Epic passholders need pony up for the full Epic pass. So perhaps that explains the lack of crowding.

Christy

Angel Diva
I’m missing Diva East to go to Sun Valley this year. I’m so excited!

To get 10 days at Sun Valley/Snowbasin, Epic passholders need pony up for the full Epic pass. So perhaps that explains the lack of crowding.

Are you going soon? The snow should be pretty good in the near future.

Third time was the charm for my sister-in-law from Iowa, who comes with us sometimes. She actually got in and out of the airport without being diverted, for the first time. Her previous four flights she'd either been diverted or flights had been canceled. That's what help keeps it uncrowded…

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Are you going soon? The snow should be pretty good in the near future.

Third time was the charm for my sister-in-law from Iowa, who comes with us sometimes. She actually got in and out of the airport without being diverted, for the first time. Her previous four flights she'd either been diverted or flights had been canceled. That's what help keeps it uncrowded…

I will be there for a week at the end of February. It looks beauuutiful, I love that photo you posted. Keeping fingers crossed for snow during our trip!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Hi @Christy, hope you don’t mind my following up on your trip report. My husband is trying to decide which skis he should bring on this trip. What did you ski on during your visit? His daily driver is 96mm wide on the east coast but he also has some playful 106mm wide skis as an option. Thanks for any advice and experiences you can share!

Christy

Angel Diva
Bring your carvers. I actually bought a pair of skis in Sun Valley, just for Sun Valley--85mm. They really don't get very much snow. Unless, that is, it's the night before and you see a very snowy forecast.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna