• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Summer Ski Resort Photos

altagirl

Staff member
I love the newly fledged Robins with their speckles. They were also not quite smart enough to fly off of the trail and instead just kept flying to the next rock in the same direction I was walking, so I had lots of opportunities to watch them:
American Robin July 2017 Alta.jpg

And a few from Deer Valley:
Wildflowers Columbine July 2017 DV.jpg Wildflowers July 2017 DV 3.jpg Wildflowers July 2017 DV 2.jpg

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw three marmots under a lift at Squaw on Monday. It pretty much made my day!

I was so enchanted with and curious about the Sierras that I came home with a field guide and a history of the Donner party. Am thoroughly enjoying learning about a new-to-me ecosystem. If anyone has a recommendation for a good laymen's read about the geology of the Mono Lake/Mammoth area, I'd be grateful!

(My local ski area is closed for a Spartan Race of late, so no summer resort pics. That'll save you looking at several cement factories, an anthracite coal fire, and a Superfund site recovering from decades of acid rain damage.) :becky:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
... If anyone has a recommendation for a good laymen's read about the geology of the Mono Lake/Mammoth area, I'd be grateful! ...

Not sure which of these specifically to recommend, but the Geology Underfoot series is SUPER GOOD for non-geologists.
https://mountain-press.com/series_detail.php?series_key=26&series_name=Geology Underfoot

You'd have to find the tables of contents, but the Yosemite, Southern CA or Owens Valley books must cover the Mammoth area a bit.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Every other year, we go and visit my partner's family in Colorado (Denver and Evergreen), and usually we fly down. Well, this year, we decided to drive down from Alberta, and make a road trip out of it, camping on the way down and camping on the way back up. We decided to see the Tetons on the way down, and Glacier on the way back. This is about the Tetons portion of the trip.

To see the Tetons, we spent two nights on the Idaho side, and two nights camping in the actual national park. And to summarize, we LOVED the Tetons from the Idaho side. Grand Teton National Park was SO crowded, and so crazy, and we found the whole process of first-come first-serve campgrounds super stressful. If I go back to the Tetons, I think we will rather stay in the national forests - Targhee or Bridger Teton, and base our explorations from there.

But, while we were on the Idaho side, we decided to spend a day hiking around at Grand Targhee - and it was amazing! One of the highlights of our whole trip. If any of you are in the 'Wydaho' area during the summer, I would highly recommend it. We were skeptical at first of the idea of lift-accessed hiking, but honestly, it was amazing. We had the best views of the Tetons of our whole trip, we got to summit THREE! (yes, three!) mountains - and this is very exciting with an 11 and 13 year old - and spend all day in alpine wildflower-filled meadows. This was well worth it.

We didn't know what to expect because the summer trail maps of Grand Targhee are terrible - 2 of the 3 mountains we summited aren't even listed as having trails, but we kind of figured it out along the way, and met a very nice hiker on the way who told us about the trails in more detail.

We don't know the elevation gain or distance, but, I would say that the total distance was somewhere between 5 and 7 miles, and the elevation gain was a couple of thousand feet - some of it felt quite steep. Overall, I would say that this is a moderate hike- and worth every bit of effort!

Here are some photos!

IMG_6361.JPG

The hiking at Grand Targhee is mostly above treeline and dips into the trees on occasion - every bit of it is beautiful!!!!

IMG_6239.JPG

Brian and the kids on the trail - this gives you a bit of an idea of some of the steep parts of this trail - there are some parts even steeper than this.

IMG_6240.JPG

Most of the the hiking has views into Grand Teton National Park and Jedediah Smith Wilderness - like the one above!

IMG_6271.JPG

This is a view from the saddle between 2 mountains - Peaked Mountain and Mary's Nipple - this was a gorgeous viewpoint!

IMG_6274.JPG

This is a view over to Peaked mountain.

To be continued below....

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
IMG_6277.JPG

This is the kids and I on Mary's saddle.

IMG_6290.JPG

This photo above gives you a bit of an idea of the hiking route. The chairlift dropped us off on the top of the mountain on the right. That is Fred's mountain (summit #1!). We did the whole ridgewalk along Fred's from the furthest right point to the one closer. Then we took a trail down from Fred's mountain - this is not the visible trail on Fred's (that's a mountain biking trail), it is the faint one slightly to the right of that. I woudl say this is the steepest part of the hiking overall. We took it down into this valley, and then climbed upwards behind the mountain on the left, to a saddle, and then we hiked up the mountain on the left, Mary's Nipple (summit #2!) . We then came down and walked from the saddle to the point where the photo was taken from. This is along the way to Peak 9943 (summit #3!). We had lunch before we attempted Mary's Nipple and then Peak 9943 was where we had snacks!

IMG_6302.JPG
This is the amazing view from Peak 9943 towards the Tetons - Grand Teton is the big one in the middle. Mt. Owen just to the left, and then Middle Teton and South Teton are to the right. We loved the views from Peak 9943, and spent about 30-40 mins just hanging out and enjoying the amazing views!

IMG_6307.JPG

The kids and I on Peak 9943!

We loved Grand Targhee, and it totally made us want to come and visit in the winter too!!!!

Anyway, Grand Targhee is amazing in summer - go see it!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly