• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Summer Olympics

Jenny

Angel Diva
Stupid NBC. If you say you're going to show at least some of the men's gymnastics, and there's only one more hour of your broadcast and you announce that next up is live beach volleyball, when exactly are you going to squeeze in the gymnastics competition? Thank goodness for the streaming and replays.

On the plus side, I went to bed at a reasonable time.

Going to sign up for a 7 day trial of sling tv to watch some of the olympics.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Stupid NBC. If you say you're going to show at least some of the men's gymnastics, and there's only one more hour of your broadcast and you announce that next up is live beach volleyball, when exactly are you going to squeeze in the gymnastics competition? Thank goodness for the streaming and replays.

On the plus side, I went to bed at a reasonable time.

That totally made me google the results ... clearly they weren't going to be good for the US since they weren't showing ANY of it.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Yeah - that was our thought, too, so when DH got home from hockey and I told him, we just googled it and then went to bed. We'll watch the replay today, but I really, really prefer not to know the results before watching something.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah - that was our thought, too, so when DH got home from hockey and I told him, we just googled it and then went to bed. We'll watch the replay today, but I really, really prefer not to know the results before watching something.

Sometimes I don't want to know, but it can actually be very interesting watching things unfold when you know the ending. Because they don't know the ending at the time (they = competitors and/or commentators). It's just a different way of looking at it, and I think it's very educational. Entertaining in another way, I guess.

Jenny

Angel Diva
We're watching the replay right now. I'd be a lot more tense if I didn't know what happened, that's for sure!

We end up seeing more of the competition this way, because they would only have shown a few of the US men's routines anyway, even if they had done better. This way we can choose to watch the streaming version of the competition, and also each entire event if we want to.

Looking forward to this weekend when we can use the full event replay to see some of the other sports, too.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't watch soccer if I know the score. It's so low scoring it loses all suspense for me.

Apparently we are now making use of a cable account to watch anything we want through Roku. Looking forward to some taekwondo in a week. In the meantime we looked for floating poop in the sailing event. Didn't see any.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I can't watch soccer if I know the score. It's so low scoring it loses all suspense for me.

Apparently we are now making use of a cable account to watch anything we want through Roku. Looking forward to some taekwondo in a week. In the meantime we looked for floating poop in the sailing event. Didn't see any.
That's how we're doing it, too. Thank goodness mom has cable.

Funny, we took a good long look at the water during some of the rowing! They must have good filters.

Christy

Angel Diva
Geez, I was up until almost midnight last night watching gymnastics. I really wish they'd start the prime time coverage a little earlier.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Geez, I was up until almost midnight last night watching gymnastics. I really wish they'd start the prime time coverage a little earlier.
I know. What about all the little girls who are in gymnastics and want to watch their idols? They can't stay up that late!

I do like the swimming, but I don't like the all swimming, all the time coverage. But I'll be OK next week when it's all track, all the time (I think), so I guess I have to allow for the fact that other people want to see their sports, too. If I have to.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I was also up way too late watching gymnastics last night! What really annoyed me were the unavaoidable spoilers on social media by news stations. I got home around 8:30 pm and clicked open my facebook app while I was waiting for something to finish warming up for dinner.. Like two posts down as I'm scrolling there are pictures and big words saying who had won the team competition. I was like what.the.heck?!?!!? I still watched after the fact, but it'd be great if they teased it and you had to click on a link or something to see the results ahead of the television airing rather than it just being there so if you innocently scroll down it's right in your face! :(

During football games, if I'm behind because I recorded a game or something then I'll completely avoid facebook until I'm caught up because people and news stations practically do play by plays sometimes in my feed, I guess I need to do that for any Olympic event I'm into as well! lol

alicie

Angel Diva
The gymnastics finished at 21:55 my time yesterday, I'm 4 hours ahead of Rio. Unless you have weird scheduling of Rio. As that's only about 5pm est.

I really like that there is so much swimming. I've spent all afternoon watching swimming. I'm looking forward to the athletics starting though.

Jenny

Angel Diva
During football games, if I'm behind because I recorded a game or something then I'll completely avoid facebook until I'm caught up because people and news stations practically do play by plays sometimes in my feed, I guess I need to do that for any Olympic event I'm into as well! lol
We usually spend the two weeks trying to keep up on the world news without seeing any sports, so you end up diving for the radio button and trying to read headlines without seeing any sports headlines. Not easy!

The gymnastics finished at 21:55 my time yesterday, I'm 4 hours ahead of Rio. Unless you have weird scheduling of Rio. As that's only about 5pm est.
Yes, what we have is NBC messing around with when they broadcast stuff. They always keep one of the marquee events until the end of their broadcast, which isn't until midnight here.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Knowing who won ahead of time doesn't bother me, but I prefer when they break up the coverage a little more. Like instead of showing half the gymnastics then several hours of swimming then more gymnastics, I would rather they had shown less swimming all at the same time. But yeah, primetime coverage has the most popular events so I guess I have to get through all the swimming for all the people who want to see that. . . but I'd rather just see mostly gymnastics! I wish they would show more countries competing too instead of just the U.S. and few from Russia and China (I don't have a paid TV service so streaming isn't an option for me).

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Huh, I must not be subscribed to much. Occasionally people post results, but even so it's more like "Good job USA!" without context.

alicie

Angel Diva
I have to avoid Twitter and the newspaper app in my waking up internet viewing in the morning to avoid the swimming results, as its on at 2-4am as I'm not staying up till then. I prefer not to know the results.

American tv is weird, glad that's not how it works here. As much as I hate the BBC it really is very good.

Jenny

Angel Diva
If I wasn't working right now (yes, I'm posting during work!) I could watch the men's all-around on the stream. But DH and I like to watch it together, so he'll wait until I'm home from yoga tonight and then we'll try to figure out how to watch it. NBC won't show much, because they always ignore the men, and we like to watch the other countries, too, especially when the competition is close.

I know that when we get home the individual event streams will all be up to watch, but you don't get the context of the competition that way. I *think* the competition stream will be up later tonight, because we did watch part of the women's that way yesterday and I remember being surprised that they posted the full event replay before prime-time was over.

altagirl

Staff member
Huh, I must not be subscribed to much. Occasionally people post results, but even so it's more like "Good job USA!" without context.

It was Facebook news articles that spoiled it for me. Why the headline has to show the result of something that hasn't aired yet, I have no idea.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was Facebook news articles that spoiled it for me. Why the headline has to show the result of something that hasn't aired yet, I have no idea.

You mean news articles like from WashPo, or straight from Facebook? I haven't noticed getting anything like that. If they're from Facebook directly, it must be some sort of algorithm difference ...

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
CBC streamed the gymnastics live. Canada wasn't in it, and overall the coverage was balanced. We saw many of the routines of the Americans, but not all, and also many routines from all of the other countries. I MAY have been at work at the time...good thing I have 2 monitors. I could work (slowly) on next year's budget at the same time. Not sure I'll get away with it tomorrow for the AA though!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly